SASS Wire Forum

The Canal, Edson's Ridge

Subdeacon Joe

7 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The films show Marines armed with M-1 Rifles. But they were armed primarily with M1903 Springfields!  They didn't get M-1's until the Army arrive later.

It also shows some European footage in the part talking about hand to hand fighting.  The guy just mashed together war footage without thinking about it.  The narrative, which is the important part, is good though.

I'm proud and happy to have shared gun show tables with the late Jim Campbell over the last decade.  He was an original member of the 1st Marine Raider Battalion.  He liked to display his collection of Raider paraphernalia and the many USMC honors he recieved over the years since.  Never tried to sell his stuff.  He was the "show" in gun show.  When he said, "the Ridge", it was a heavy, significant tone.  He passed a year or so ago at age 92.

We miss you, buddy.  Semper Fi!

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It also shows some European footage in the part talking about hand to hand fighting.  The guy just mashed together war footage without thinking about it.  The narrative, which is the important part, is good though.

These documentaries are always like that. I can't tell you how many times I've seen an Essex-class carrier get hit with a Kamikaze at the Battle of Midway. :rolleyes:

Archived