SASS Wire Forum

Need help with this over pressure issue

Knucky McPee

"Also using Remington primers and also was told it happened a couple of times on my rifle."  He editied his statement at the end.

But, he also said the same ammo had no issues in his wife's guns. I'm thinking the same as WC.

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

And it appears to be isolated to one chamber. 

Read the last sentence in the OP, " Also using Remington primers and also was told it happened a couple of times on my rifle. "

10 hours ago, Knucky McPolack said:

I got a lot of bullets to take apart. 

I'm not sure how well this would work for a light load of smokeless but I have weighed cartridge to try to find those out of spec.  I was loading BlackMZ and after a while I noticed the powder was bunching or bridging up.  It would cause a light charge on one then a heavy change on the next until I finally caught it.  I weighed a charged case and bullet to get a normal load weight.  Then weighed each loaded one.  I separated the light, correct and heavy weight loads. Then broke down the light and heavy loads. There weren't many. 

Weighing cartridges that have only 3.2 grains of powder is mostly a waste of time. Bullets and brass can vary that much, especially if you use mixed brands of brass. As for not doing it in his wife's rifle, all guns are different. He didn't even say if he and his wife have the exact same rifle, so it may not be a valid comparison anyway. I think the low loads are making these rounds a bit borderline and slight differences in the guns specs are enough to cause the difference in performance. You CAN go too low on bullet weight and powder. I like Trailboss myself for smokeless loads, but I load on the higher end of published cowboy loads, which are already much lower than standard loads. No need to go even lower.

13 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'm not sure how well this would work for a light load of smokeless but I have weighed cartridge to try to find those out of spec.  I was loading BlackMZ and after a while I noticed the powder was bunching or bridging up.  It would cause a light charge on one then a heavy change on the next until I finally caught it.  I weighed a charged case and bullet to get a normal load weight.  Then weighed each loaded one.  I separated the light, correct and heavy weight loads. Then broke down the light and heavy loads. There weren't many. 

I first tried that and when I go one that was heavier than others I popped it open and the powder weighed 3.2 gr.  I'm loading on a Dillon RL1100 with a powder check.  What Springfield Sam said about the brass. It was heavier. I'm still busy knocking the bullets out. I loaded up 800 rounds.  What a pain.  

I make it a point to never load a new-to-me-load numbering more rounds than I want to knock out with my inertial puller.   (And that's about 10 or so).  Or more shotshells than I want to cut open.  THEN is when I test the first batch.   If the load is REALLY new and different from what I've done before, second batch may be 50 or so.

Archived