SASS Wire Forum

No more Cops....

The TV series, that is.  After three decades, COPS is cancelled.

From an article:  

"For more than 30 years, Cops has miseducated the public and normalized injustice," said Arisha Hatch, vice president of Color Of Change, in a statement provided to EW. "Crime television encourages the public to accept the norms of over-policing and excessive force and reject reform...  

Article Here

First Elmer Fudd, and now this.  Oh, they times they are a-changin'!  

3 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

When I was supporting the Security Forces Squadron on base, my office mate and I would watch Cops every day and he would refer to that as "training videos." :P

Many of these "training videos" would be shown at the police academy and titled, "What not to do".:blink:

Heck... I didn't know they were still in production.

I have a cousin who was with the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department many years back when they filmed (taped?) some episodes there.  He'd laugh and shake his head...

But he had some good stories of his own!  ^_^

Stay tuned for its replacement...

It takes place on an uncharted island somewhere in the Pacific Ocean - reachable only by airplane - where people from all walks of life come and live out their fantasies as lawless rioters in a consequence free environment.  The Mayor is known for his white suit, cultured demeanor, and extreme stance on social justice.  He is accompanied by an energetic but very short sidekick named Dill Igaf.  It is overtly suggested - but never confirmed - that Dill Igaf was the original Chief of Police on the Island but was fired from his job after arresting too many felons.  

Every episode is going to start with Dill Igaf climbing up the main bell tower to ring the bell and shouting, "The Cops-The Cops"

Each episode will start with the Mayor sharply addressing the assembled staff by yelling, "Smiles, everyone! Smiles!" As each visitor disembarked from the plane, the Mayor will describe to Dill Igaf the type of looting and rioting that appeals to each guest, always sneaking in some dark cryptic comment, suggesting the person's lawless rioting may not turn out as they expected.  The Mayor then welcomes the guests by lifting his glass and saying: "My dear guests, I am Mayor Reckless, your host. Welcome to Peaceful Protest Island."

The hook is for the fantasies as lawless rioters serve as morality lessons for the guests, occasionally to the point of putting their lives at risk, often times at the cost of serious injury to others and substantial property damage suffered by innocent bystanders.   Throughout the series, Dill Igaf will show up in his private golf-kart, specially sized to fit his diminutive physique.  His intent is always to help the situation while in reality, just driving recklessly around the island while the staff scrambles to get out of his way.   The shenanigans quickly spiral out of control - only to have the Mayor step in at the last minute and save the day by chastising Dill Igaf and threatening to decommission his golf-kart while awkwardly pandering to the rioters...

...in the end, the people seeking to live out their fantasies as lawless rioters in a consequence free environment get back on the plane a fly home - nothing ventured nothing gained - no lessons learned - with the Mayor, Dill Igaf, the staff, and the native Islanders left to deal with the mess.

Archived