SASS Wire Forum

Calling out Rye Miles.

Since this Covid-19 thingy has sent everything down the toilet, I have been watching a lot of TV shows. 

Seeing a lot of fishing shows being filmed on Lake Erie. Looks like they have cleaned up the lake right smartly. 

Lake St. Claire also seems to have a new look. I am wondering if the Zebra mussels had anything to do with that?

I heard that they were in the chain. Boys are catching some nice Smallmouth, Walleye, and I suppose Salmon and 

Steelhead. 

Hey, a fellow has to do something to keep up. Talk to me. 

While I’m not a fisherman I do know that there’s been plenty big talk about the zebra mussels cleaning up our lake. They’ve also been trying to clean up the chemicals that were being poured in to the lake and the Cuyahoga River which empties into to lake. Lots of good fishing for the last few years from what I’ve been hearing.

I've got a few friends that go out in various size boats that do very well . Walleye and perch. I don’t know about the salmon and steelhead though.

Best walleye fishing in the world. And perch. And smallmouth. The Cuyahoga now boast a first class steelhead run! 

Well, I know that Michigan has a history of Steelhead and after the introduction of Salmon

into the Great Lakes in 1966, they too were on the agenda. As I am getting information on the Zebra Mussels, and

there seems to be an awaking to the fact  that their food selection could affect the Alewife population, and starve

those fat Salmon.

WDFW has a program to inspect boats for their presence, and you can be ticketed if they are found hiding in your trailer

or boat. Of course WDFW has taken a multimillion fish migration and turned into less than sustainable amounts. 

Now the tribes and State are working feverously to maintain stocks in the rivers. 

4 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Best walleye fishing in the world. And perch. And smallmouth. The Cuyahoga now boast a first class steelhead run! 

Be careful what you say Slim. I may decide to move back to Michigan just for the fishing.

That would put the kiss of death on your fishery.  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Be careful what you say Slim. I may decide to move back to Michigan just for the fishing.

That would put the kiss of death on your fishery.  :lol:

I was talking about OHIO! If I was talking about Michigan I'd still be typing. If Michigan don't have it a man don't need it!

9 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Well, I know that Michigan has a history of Steelhead and after the introduction of Salmon

into the Great Lakes in 1966, they too were on the agenda. As I am getting information on the Zebra Mussels, and

there seems to be an awaking to the fact  that their food selection could affect the Alewife population, and starve

those fat Salmon.

WDFW has a program to inspect boats for their presence, and you can be ticketed if they are found hiding in your trailer

or boat. Of course WDFW has taken a multimillion fish migration and turned into less than sustainable amounts. 

Now the tribes and State are working feverously to maintain stocks in the rivers. 

The surrounding states have drastically reduced the number of salmon being stocked. Turns out that some rivers see natural reproduction once thought impossible. Some nice fish came out of there last fall.

Just now, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Upper or lower peninsula?

Yep! I have property in northwest part of the state. I bought 40 acres of my great grandparents farm. My sister and brother in law bought the 40 next to me. Manistee NF on the other side of me. Kaya is up there for the week. Both kids grew up running the woods. Took a couple Scout troops up. Been a true gift to have.

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

The surrounding states have drastically reduced the number of salmon being stocked. Turns out that some rivers see natural reproduction once thought impossible. Some nice fish came out of there last fall.

Yeah, I am seeing the Lake results on TV. Always good to see a resource recover itself.

Just hope the States don't allow over harvesting. Between the Government, Tribes and greed

Washington has been fighting a losing battle. 

1 minute ago, Michigan Slim said:

Yep! I have property in northwest part of the state. I bought 40 acres of my great grandparents farm. My sister and brother in law bought the 40 next to me. Manistee NF on the other side of me. Kaya is up there for the week. Both kids grew up running the woods. Took a couple Scout troops up. Been a true gift to have.

Beautiful State once you get out of Detroit. 

1 minute ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Beautiful State once you get out of Detroit. 

I'm not a city guy. I drive through them to get out of them. Most of the bigger towns are eyesores but Grand Rapids seems to be cleaning up some. 

9 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

We were hoping to do a walleye charter on Lake Erie this year (our first)but this co-vid  crap has really made a mess of our plans.

Fishing is good all year. You just need to run farther out in summer. A good captain will put you on fish. 

14 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

We were hoping to do a walleye charter on Lake Erie this year (our first)but this co-vid  crap has really made a mess of our plans.

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I wouldn't know a steelhead or walleye if it jumped into my boat, but down south the bass fishing this year has been great.  

I caught this one a couple of days ago.

9A876A33-44D6-463D-A892-530F2AB1DD01.jpeg

Wish you good luck, Marshal.  Looks like they have a healthy population of Smallmouth Bass over in Lake St. Claire also. 

Nice looking Bass,Captain

1 minute ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Wish you good luck, Marshal.  Looks like they have a healthy population of Smallmouth Bass over in Lake St. Claire also. 

Nice looking Bass,Captain

Thanks!  It's been a good spring for them at Swan Lake.  I've been pulling anywhere from 1.5 lbs up to that one which I guesstimate ran around 6 lbs.

A couple of years ago, I fished Lost Lake, not far from my home. Fished it for years, off and on. Well, most of the fish it served up were rainbow trout (Plants) and a few spiny rays. By luck I happened to catch a LMB. Surprised me. State of Washington doesn't recognize  a fish unless it is a Salmon or Trout. So I doubt it was a plant. Fast forward th my last trip, while fishing a rubber worm/spinner combination of my design, I caught and landed a LMB of perhaps 2 pounds. But the amazing thing about the matter was the fact two other bass were  chasing the one I caught. 

The weather has really been bad for fishing here, but my 9 yr old G'son wanted to go, so we hit the lake. No one catching anything. He looks in the water and sees 3 large mouths swimming about 2 feet off the bank. He put a small tube worm on the hook on wiggled it in front of the fish. After about 15 minutes, he landed a 1 pounded. I think that he annoyed it so much that it took the bait just to get rid of it.

4 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

The weather has really been bad for fishing here, but my 9 yr old G'son wanted to go, so we hit the lake. No one catching anything. He looks in the water and sees 3 large mouths swimming about 2 feet off the bank. He put a small tube worm on the hook on wiggled it in front of the fish. After about 15 minutes, he landed a 1 pounded. I think that he annoyed it so much that it took the bait just to get rid of it.

HAHAHA, he could be correct. It took me a lot of years to learn that aggressive fish like to chase aggressive noise. 

I just recently discovered spinner blades and Spin N Glo devices. Also, I learned a long time ago, Steelhead do not

like interlopers in their space. 

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Thanks!  It's been a good spring for them at Swan Lake.  I've been pulling anywhere from 1.5 lbs up to that one which I guesstimate ran around 6 lbs.

The biggest fish I've catch was 27 lb. Chinook Salmon. Capt. Bill, those bass are sure fun to catch, but they don't put up the fight of a 22 lb. Northern. 

And by the way, button up that shirt. You're going to get the women folk all excited:P

My best catch was a 33# King Salmon, caught off a charter out of Westport, Wa.  Caught with a cut plug herring that I

dropped and the guy next to me stepped on, just as the skipper called lines overboard. So I dropped the "flatfish" herring

and opened the reel up. Dropped down about 75 feet, and the fish took it on the way down. First fish and biggest fish on board

until about 20 minutes from the boat limit,  another guy caught a 33 pound  3 OUNCE for biggest fish of the day. I still got the money for first fish. :)

4 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

HAHAHA, he could be correct. It took me a lot of years to learn that aggressive fish like to chase aggressive noise. 

I just recently discovered spinner blades and Spin N Glo devices. Also, I learned a long time ago, Steelhead do not

like interlopers in their space. 

A couple weeks ago, we went to a small farm pond they have access to. Now I'm not a world class fisherman, but I don't just go out and drown worms. I'm using this lure and that lure. This technique and that technique. I caught one bluegill, and one crappie. He puts a worm on a hook and uses a bobber and catches 6 bluegill, one crappie, and 3 bass. Out-fished by a 9 yr old. Oh, the humanity! At least I can take some comfort in the knowledge that I'm the one who taught him how to fish

11 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

The biggest fish I've catch was 27 lb. Chinook Salmon. Capt. Bill, those bass are sure fun to catch, but they don't put up the fight of a 22 lb. Northern. 

And by the way, button up that shirt. You're going to get the women folk all excited:P

I would love to catch something like that.  Not sure I could get it in the boat, but it would be fun trying.

You're lucky, I had a pic of a bigger fish, but my shirt is off in that one.  I figured with Covid and all, everyone was running short of eye bleach so I spared you.

Archived