SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a recipe

I pretty much wing it on both of those.

For the rice:

A TBS or two of oil.

1 - #300 or #303 can of crushed tomatoes or tomato puree. 
A few cloves of garlic, made into a paste with the side of your knife (this assumes some salt in there to help with the smooshing).
Half an onion about the size of a baseball, chopped fine.
A little cumin and chili powder, to taste.
Enough chicken or vegetable stock to bring everything up to 4 cups.

2 cups of rice, rinsed well.

Heat oil in pot large enough to cook the rice.  Add the onion, stirring occasionally, until translucent, add the garlic and stir it about so the garlic doesn't burn.  Add the cumin and chili powder and stir about.  Add the tomatoes.  Bring to boil, reduce to simmer.  Let the flavors blend some, then use a stick blender to turn it into a sauce.  Measure in a large measuring cup, add broth/stock to bring to two cups.  Adjust seasoning to taste.

Put some oil in the pan, add the rice and stir it around until it starts to brown, then add the sauce.  Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook about 18 minutes or until the rice is the consistency you like.
Fluff with fork.  Serve.

For the beans:

A couple of TBS of lard or oil.

A few cloves of garlic.
A little grated onion.
Cumin to taste.
Lime juice to taste.
Salt to taste.
Other seasonings to your taste.
Canned beans, rinsed.  I'll use pintos, cannellini, black, white kidney, red kidney, or just about any other bean.  Pinto beans are the traditional.  My favorite is cannellini.  Garbanzos are a little odd.  Not bad, but not high on the list.  

Heat the lard (or oil) in a pan over medium heat, add the garlic and cook until lightly browned on all sides.  Mash the garlic with a fork or something.  Add the onion and cook for a minute to take off the sharp taste.  Add the beans, heat through, then mash with a fork or potato masher.  Add the lime juice if using, the cumin, the salt, and whatever other seasonings fit your fancy that day.  Stir about to get everything mixed.  Taste and adjust seasoning.
Serve hot.

Just now, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Thanks, Joe

My pleasure, Mo.  
I searched through my recipe files and didn't find a recipe for either one so I had to try to replay in my head how I make both items.   Now I suppose I should copy what I wrote and save it into my recipe files.

Likely I won't, but I should.  

Also, I figured you know your way around a stove well enough that a method without exact measurements would do the job for you, and that you can easily scale up or down to fit your needs.

My Spanish rice I make in a 12-inch skillet.

One can of Rotel (what is that 10, 12 oz?), One 15 oz can of diced tomatoes. One cup of water, one cup of rice. Half an onion, diced. Garlic powder, cumin and crushed red pepper to taste. Teaspoon of salt.

Tomatoes in the pan, then the rice and salt. Mix with a fork (I have found that a fork does better when cooking in a skillet, for making sure that things did not stick to the bottom).  Add the Rotel, then the water, then the onion, mixing well after each new ingredient.

Season, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover.

I use two timers. I have one set for 20 minutes and the other for 5. When the five goes off, lift lid and stir it up with the fork, mostly to make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom. Put the lid back on reset the 5 minutes. Do this each time to 5 minutes goes off. When the 20 minutes goes off you're done. Remove the lid and leave it off in case there's any liquid still in the pan, so it can cook off.

If I happen to have some on hand I will add about a quarter pound of browned hamburger. It's not necessary, but I like the flavor it brings. Sometimes I also add mushrooms. Meat and mushrooms added to it does tend to make it no longer be Spanish rice, though. ;)

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I pretty much wing it on both of those.

For the rice:

A TBS or two of oil.

1 - #300 or #303 can of crushed tomatoes or tomato puree. 
A few cloves of garlic, made into a paste with the side of your knife (this assumes some salt in there to help with the smooshing).
Half an onion about the size of a baseball, chopped fine.
A little cumin and chili powder, to taste.
Enough chicken or vegetable stock to bring everything up to 4 cups.

2 cups of rice, rinsed well.

Heat oil in pot large enough to cook the rice.  Add the onion, stirring occasionally, until translucent, add the garlic and stir it about so the garlic doesn't burn.  Add the cumin and chili powder and stir about.  Add the tomatoes.  Bring to boil, reduce to simmer.  Let the flavors blend some, then use a stick blender to turn it into a sauce.  Measure in a large measuring cup, add broth/stock to bring to two cups.  Adjust seasoning to taste.

Put some oil in the pan, add the rice and stir it around until it starts to brown, then add the sauce.  Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook about 18 minutes or until the rice is the consistency you like.
Fluff with fork.  Serve.

For the beans:

A couple of TBS of lard or oil.

A few cloves of garlic.
A little grated onion.
Cumin to taste.
Lime juice to taste.
Salt to taste.
Other seasonings to your taste.
Canned beans, rinsed.  I'll use pintos, cannellini, black, white kidney, red kidney, or just about any other bean.  Pinto beans are the traditional.  My favorite is cannellini.  Garbanzos are a little odd.  Not bad, but not high on the list.  

Heat the lard (or oil) in a pan over medium heat, add the garlic and cook until lightly browned on all sides.  Mash the garlic with a fork or something.  Add the onion and cook for a minute to take off the sharp taste.  Add the beans, heat through, then mash with a fork or potato masher.  Add the lime juice if using, the cumin, the salt, and whatever other seasonings fit your fancy that day.  Stir about to get everything mixed.  Taste and adjust seasoning.
Serve hot.

I personally like that "LARD" thingy in the recipe, Joe. Little pig fat to make the world a better place. 

However, perhaps the pigs don't feel that way, about the matter.

My wife makes about the best Spanish rice I've ever eaten. She browns the rice in oil or bacon grease (preferable) then uses tomato sauce, onion, bacon, and garlic. LOTS of garlic. Two cans of water from the tomato sauce can. 1 cupful of rice.

JHC

To me there are three recipes. 1. I will make it to please myself. Mo garlic and some heat, maybe a few more spices. 2. For family, less heat less garlic. 3. Close to replicating authentic. My friend will add corn, peas, carrots, left over chicken, but it’s to please herself and she’s a California girl.

Archived