SASS Wire Forum

The FW 190

Subdeacon Joe

My wife's uncle, Hap Kennedy, shot down a few of those.

My Father's best friend, Buck McNair, a few more.

13 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

My wife's uncle, Hap Kennedy, shot down a few of those.

My Father's best friend, Buck McNair, a few more.

There was one gentleman here, hasn't been in for about 2 years, whose father flew -109s, transitioned to -190s and hated them.  Had the seniority to go back to his -109.

The FW-190 was a good fighter.  Fortunately, ours were better!  Had the commandant of my AFROTC summer camp show us movies from his own gun cameras in WWII.  There were a bunch of 190's on the ground, all lined up and facing each other.  His P-51 went down between the two rows, chopping them up, kicking right and left rudder to disperse his shots!  He was low enough that the camera angle had his wings lower than the spinners on the -190's!  He claimed that one of his buddies had flown so low that he came back with a gopher in his radiator intake scoop!  (On the underside of the P-51.)

My dad was a B-17 pilot.  He said that the only thing that frightened him more than the heavily armed FW-190s, were the ME-262s.  And Flak. 

The FW-190, in its many variations, was a damned good fighter; better at low altitudes.

Cheers,

FJT

I read that the speed difference between allied and axis fighters was the axis av gas was in the 90-95 octane range where the allies was in the 100-150 range so they could use more boost without detonation.  More boost more power.

Archived