SASS Wire Forum

The search for Amelia

Utah Bob #35998

This has been something I've followed since my youngest daughter did a project on Amelia Earhart in middle school. TIGHAR has put forth an amazing amount of evidence in support of the theory. A lot of it those who support alternative theories seem to refuse to address. I'm glad Dr. Ballard is going to research it. If something is left there, if anyone can find it, he is the best suited to do it.

I do wish Dr. Ballard luck in proving his theory.  And, of course, not knowing what happened to Amelia is like an itch some us can't scratch. OTOH, she and Fred are gone, and have become legends. If the mystery isn't solved we can still honor their memories as pioneers of the air. :FlagAm:

Well this will be the toughest object to locate he has undertaken to date. While the Titanic was in exceptionally deep water her location was well documented. Same can be said of the Bismark. Wish he could have spent more time in the Black Sea. His finds were pretty spectacular.

Given underwater topography of the area will make finding the wreckage like looking for a specific needle in a stack of needles in a field a stacks.

I do believe that if the wreckage is there his expedition has the best chance for success.

Archived