SASS Wire Forum

Just a Bit of Firepower

Subdeacon Joe

I got to 'Nam in August 1966 and the new kid on the block was the AC 47 with tree 7.62 mini guns capable of 6,000 rounds per minute.  I was aCam Rahn Bay, part of Nha Trang Sub Area Command, and our AC-47s were known as "Spooky".  

My sixth night at CRB we saw Spooky in action.  The first ship was already near by and the second got there within a very few minutes. We had taken rocket fire from a small islet in the bay and Spooky unloaded on it and went back to reload as the second ship arrived.

Next morning the Colonel asked for volunteers to go out and secure the island and report our findings.  I was to be in command but a Major upstaged me and told me I could come along as an observer.  This crumby little island was a half acre of rock and the rockets had been rigged with crude timers in two small caves and left to do their thing with no human support.

I was really impressed when I saw this patch or rock literally plated for top to bottom and side to side with copper nickel jackets and lead smears.  Never saw them in action again but I tried.  

Awesome is an overworked word, but it fit this scene perfectly.

15 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Beards??

no, just 5 o'clock shadows...:D

16 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Beards??

Crew is part of SOCOM. Over in the Sand Box beards are common as it affords then better relations with the locals when they are on the ground.

Archived