SASS Wire Forum

Negotiations

Subdeacon Joe

At my gunshow table...

Buyer:  "$450, huh?  What's the lowest you'll go?"

Me:  "I don't bid against myself.  If you have a different price in mind, let's talk."

They usually just walk away...

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:21 AM, Joke 'um said:

meAt my gunshow table...

Me:  "I don't bid against myself.  If you have a different price in mind, let's talk."

When I was selling my house I came across a similar situation.  The viewer didn't like my asking price.  Fine, give me a number and I'll consider it.  Never heard a word.  

On 7/13/2019 at 8:21 AM, Joke 'um said:

At my gunshow table...

I saw a guy at a gun show ask the seller if he could go lower on a rifle he wanted.

Buyer: “What do you want for this Remington ?”

The price was $600 and it was on the tag attached to the trigger guard. I had seen it as I walked by.

Seller: “I want 600 for that gun”

Buyer: “Can you go any lower?”

Seller - in a deeper voice and with a straight face - “I want 600 for that gun.”

I laughed out loud. The guy trying to buy the gun shot me a dirty look and the seller smiled at me. That was funny. I walked away. Not sure if the guy ended up buying the gun or not.

I like to open with "What's your best price?"  There's all kinds of negotiators and that question usually lets you know what kind you're dealing with.  The 2 guns I bought last weekend, they 'bid against themselves' right at the start.  I always thought it was funny, but it's just a dance you do.  If they hold firm, I have to lowball them with the initial offer.  If they come down right away, my first offer can be what I'm actually willing to pay for it. 

Archived