SASS Wire Forum

Friction Primer

Subdeacon Joe

I have no idea of the venue this is from.  Looks to be a Griffin Gun (3" Ordnance Rifle) with, I'm going to guess, a one pound charge of either Fg or Cannon Grade (and I'd place money on the Cannon Grade) powder.

Great photo.

Image may contain: cloud, sky and outdoor

41 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I don't think it looks like a 3" Ordnance rifle, Joe. Perhaps a Parrott Gun.  Breach seems to have a band around it. 

Sights are wrong for a Parrott.  

Image result for parrott rifle

The stadia goes into the socket there at about 2 o'clock.  On the right rimbase you can see where the front sight screws in.

You could maybe make a case for it being a Treadegar Iron Napoleon, except that the front sight is too high, and it has the seat for a pendulum hausse.  
Related image

The light reflection makes it look like a Parrot but I bleeve it is in fact an Ordnance Rifle. Great pic!

PS: try not to lay down in front of of a 3” one. Even if it’s firing blanks and you’re off to the side and a considerable distance away (you think).

I guarantee your bummer will fly toward the secesh.

43 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

PS: try not to lay down in front of of a 3” one. Even if it’s firing blanks and you’re off to the side and a considerable distance away (you think).

I guarantee your bummer will fly toward the secesh.

Sounds like some first hand experience talking.

If you’re on that side they’re probably shooting a Napoleon. ;)

Ordnance Rifle. Guaranteeed!

I have a black powder cannon my cousin made in shop class in 1977. It's about 30 inches long and the bore is about the size of a "D" battery.

Fuze, shot glass full of ff and an old rag for a nice, smoky BOOM.

30 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I have a black powder cannon my cousin made in shop class in 1977. It's about 30 inches long and the bore is about the size of a "D" battery.

Fuze, shot glass full of ff and an old rag for a nice, smoky BOOM.

You don't need the rag.  Make a mandrel just under the diameter of the bore.  Use two layers of heavy foil to make your cartridges.  Seat it with one or two firm taps of your rammer.  

Archived