SASS Wire Forum

TTN 1878 coach gun, I'm stuck

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

I bought a used TTN Cimarron 1878 last year. Good shooter, but I want to look inside and also swap the triggers before putting it back together. Disassembly seems straightforward, but I can't get the trigger plate off the stock.  Is the screw immediately behind the triggers a machine screw that taps in from the other side, or is it a wood screw with the head broken off? I can't see anything else that would get in the way.

Thanks for your help!

55JVCtM.jpgDCrn4fg.jpg?2

Looking at your pics, you have removed all the fasteners that hold the trigger plate in place.

You have a tight fit where stock is inletted to the trigger plate!   Unless someone epoxied them together (check you don't see any glue!).   As thin as the wood is on the TTN, you will be safer to apply pressure slowly and steadily until the trigger plate and lower tang disconnect from stock.   

Chucking the wood at wrist into a well padded vise (triggers up), you can apply pressure under the front of trigger plate and with the tang screw put in from the bottom (reverse of normal) you should be able to apply some wiggling on the back of the trigger plate at same time.  

Or (quicker), put a punch through the 2 stock holes (those 2 visible in your latest pic going through the upper tang inletted area) and tap lightly on the underside of the trigger plate (just off the edges of holes in the plate) until it loosens.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks Joe, I'll give this a try.

I've applied pretty firm thumb pressure at the front. The plate flexes, but appears to hang up where the "mystery screw" is and is why I stopped, not wanting to force things. Last thing I want to do is trash the stock. From what I gather, those are hard to replace!

I'll post an update after the next attempt.

"Mystery screw" - is that the screw tip you see immediately behind triggers?   That screw pins the trigger return springs to the plate, and is NOT what is holding the plate to the stock.

Wiggle is better than heavy force for this project.

Good luck, GJ

58 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

"Mystery screw" - is that the screw tip you see immediately behind triggers?   That screw pins the trigger return springs to the plate, and is NOT what is holding the plate to the stock.

Wiggle is better than heavy force for this project.

Good luck, GJ

Yes.

That's the answer I was hoping for, thx Joe!

Got it separated!

I dragged an Exacto blade along the seam between wood and plate which released some adhesion. A few light taps from the top with a punch through the screw holes broke it loose a little more, allowing some wiggling action to work it loose.

It appears the stock might have been refinished and furniture reassembled before the finish was dry, or maybe it was put together at the factory that way. Regardless, there was excess finish goop between the metal and wood holding things together.

Thanks, Joe!

Archived