SASS Wire Forum

Under The Nimitz

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/25634/awe-inspiring-images-from-underneath-a-well-worn-uss-nimitz-the-navys-oldest-carrier?fbclid=IwAR39ZLz6J_nKTrkM4GLxYUCr13R9PrYgCQ1IVCwIWvGDhZwJEik19oNVeqY

The fact that USS Nimitz (CVN-68) is the Navy's oldest operational aircraft carrier really ages you. Following the early retirement of USS Enterprise(CVN-65), America's supercarrier fleet is all Nimitz class, but that will change once the atrociously expensive USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) actually enters operational service. In the meantime, Nimitz has been receiving some much needed TLC up at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington as part of a nine month long planned incremental availability maintenance period.

?q=60&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1545431971701-181016-n-fd244-0005.jpg

?q=60&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1545427793466-180305-n-cc918-015.jpg

14 hours ago, SOUTH-PACIFIC,SASS #59402 said:

spent time under her inspecting her screws that is one large craft i was a diver

Screws are  36 Ft. in diameter 60,000 lb. Naval bronze.

I was stationed on the Nimitz from April76 to June 1980. I was part of the crew that made them screws spin. Chief Machinery Operator qualified in both main machinery rooms.

35 minutes ago, Dustin Checotah said:

Screws are  36 Ft. in diameter 60,000 lb. Naval bronze.

What is the diameter of the shaft?  And the bore on the screws? And that keyway in the screws...about 5 inches wide and 3/4 inch deep?

23 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What is the diameter of the shaft?  And the bore on the screws? And that keyway in the screws...about 5 inches wide and 3/4 inch deep?

Subdeacon Joe

The dia. of the shaft is about 36 inches. I never measured them as to the bore  That I don't know. The screw size is what we were told in Fam & I. Fam & I is familiarization and indoctrination. I believe all enlisted personnel on the ship get that. I can tell you that the shafts are hollow steel with sand in them. That is also from Fam & I.  I was qualified on all the watch stations in the engine rooms. But I mostly stood the CMO (Chief Machinery Operator) watch. That is the engineroom supervisor watch where I had 1-Shaft alley patrol, 1-Messenger, 2-Engineroom upper level, 2-Engineroom lower level, 1-Turbine generator, 1-Distilling unit watch. With me it was 9 people to run the engineroom for normal operations. All this on an E-4 pay.   

16 minutes ago, Dustin Checotah said:

Subdeacon Joe

The dia. of the shaft is about 36 inches. I never measured them as to the bore  That I don't know. The screw size is what we were told in Fam & I. Fam & I is familiarization and indoctrination. I believe all enlisted personnel on the ship get that. I can tell you that the shafts are hollow steel with sand in them. That is also from Fam & I.  I was qualified on all the watch stations in the engine rooms. But I mostly stood the CMO (Chief Machinery Operator) watch. That is the engineroom supervisor watch where I had 1-Shaft alley patrol, 1-Messenger, 2-Engineroom upper level, 2-Engineroom lower level, 1-Turbine generator, 1-Distilling unit watch. With me it was 9 people to run the engineroom for normal operations. All this on an E-4 pay.   

Thanks, Dustin.   Seeing that guy crawling in the screw to clean out the keyway got me wondering.  

Archived