SASS Wire Forum

Looking for blackpowder powder measurer

Larabee

Hello Pards,

Looking for a bench mount blackpowder powder measurer/dropper. Not particular on the brand, any will do. Thanks in advance. 

Larabee 

I have been using my standard RCBS powder throw for over 20 years.  But if you are woried about static Lee makes a "Perfect Powder Measure" out of all plastic.

Static electricity is not the main concern with mechanical powder measures and black powder.  Making Black Powder is a messy affair and a lot of powder ends up on the floor as it is being processed. Don't know if it is still done but it used to be common practice to sweep up the mess and put it back into the mix. Due to cracks and general wear and tear, occasionally a piece of the concrete floor would end up in the sweepings and back into the mix. Concrete contains sand and sand contains quartz. IF you happen to catch a piece of quartz with a piece of steel and break it it makes a spark and BOOM.  Catch it with a piece of brass and break it and most likely no boom.

This is why Black Powder measures have a metal hopper. It will divert any accidental ignition up and not out.

Several years ago a black powder plant that had been in operation for many many years blew up. I don't remember where in the US the plant was located but the gulf coast comes to mind.

During the investigation it was determined that the original explosion occurred inside one of the powder grinders.  The investigators determined the most likely cause to have been a piece of quartz from a cracked concrete floor was swept up during a cleaning cycle and made it into the grinder. Here it got caught in the works and caused the spark that blew up the mill.

SOLD--Thanks

Good Morning:

I have a hornady Black Powder measure that I don't use.

Here is what they look like, but if you are interested, I can take a pic of mine if you are interested.

$100 shipped to you.

Thanks

--Dawg

p_749007813_1.jpg?yocs=p_&yoloc=us

I’ve been using the little Lee plastic dippers for years.  

2C1F324E-0883-45E5-A0CB-023A211D9B39.thumb.png.75165ee9ff0a2a6f6263bffa068e929f.png

They don’t take up any space at all;  keep them in a ziplock bag when not in use.

Thanks for input pards, buying one from Dawg.

Archived