SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne big loop, when and who?

Ok for Stagecoach he had a “D” loop like Chuck Connors in the Rifleman and was lined to Robert Mitchum along with “Mark”. But in 1941, Shepherd of the Hills, he is using what would become his style big loop and the one that Winchester copies. So I am wondering who came up with us design for him and why?  That’s what I get for watching John Wayne and Military movies on a went Florida weekend. 

I'm thinking that I read somewhere that John Wayne said he and Yakima Canutt came up with the idea of twirling the Winchester to make the Ringo Kid have some kind of distinctive gimmick , and the big loop was developed so they could carry off the stunt. They also shortened the barrel after a couple of whacks to the head.

I just don't remember where or what book I read this story in.

Rex :D

Nimble Fingers:  History has it that famed movie stuntman Yakima Canutt was responsible for the first large-looped lever gun used by Wayne (The Duke) in Stagecoach.

Besides its big lever, this particular 92 had its barrel shortened from the standard carbine length of 20 inches to A HANDLER 18.5 inches. The Duke was 6'4" but even with his reach,  it was always a risk with that 20" barrel  getting bonked in the head upon twirling it.

I myself have a Rossi "Puma" .38 / .357 with the big loop and no problem twirling It. Of course my rifle came with a 16 inch barrel.

Attached Photo 16" Barrel, Puma Head on side.

Hope this helps with  your question on this.

JRJ

Rossi Puma 16.JPG

I would think that different individuals who looked & liked the big D-Ring decided to make their own type and just modify one of the loops with heat and did some small bends and such while it was red hot. ????? Then again a good blacksmith could easily make them in variety of shapes an sizes.?????

Who knows?????????????????

I sure don't.

I'm not sure but I have a big loop Winchester..........but it ain't for shooting.....it's just for spin cocking.........lol. If I take it to the match I'm afraid they would call me for two back to back 170 violations. 

6079798.JPG

Cowboy Junky: Yeh, LOL; I first got that rifle of mine back in the 80's and twirled it maybe 6 times. It came with the big loop and when had daughter and grand-daughter wanting to shoot I got regular lever for it. Now it just sits in safe.

Never did I ever shoot it at a match. The grand-daughter shot it with another stock I cut down for her. 

Ok just so I am clear with you all and perhaps I already got the answer. Stagecoach had a D shape lever like Chuck Connors in The Rifleman and it appears to be the same that Robert Mitchum is using in El Dorado as I swear I can see the screw to work the trigger in the lever. Stagecoach was 1939, yes?  The Shepherd of the Hills was 1941 and now John Wayne has his signature lever on the 92 he is carrying. Could that be the one he and Yakima came up with?  

Probably so, but then again, I also heard there were other props made like his for his movies????????

Can't say for sure pilgrim.

Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo, El Dorado, Stagecoach, True Grit, Hondo, Big Jake, Comanchero's & others in these movies was the loop lever.

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Probably so, but then again, I also heard there were other props made like his for his movies????????

Can't say for sure pilgrim.

Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo, El Dorado, Stagecoach, True Grit, Hondo, Big Jake, Comanchero's & others in these movies was the loop lever.

Stagecoach’s Lever was different and to be honest I don’t remember his trademark loop in The Commancheros, l believe any Winchester 92 he shot during that movie all had the normal levers but I could be wrong!

could be right or could be wrong thinking and typing too fast. What the heck?

The guy that could probably answer your question is Al Frisch, owner of Hollywood Props and Guns and an expert on movie guns. He has many of the guns used in the old westerns and knows a great deal of the history.

Yo Nimble Fingers:

Here is the latest info:

One of the two original Winchester Model 92's rifles use by the Duke for the twirling scenes stagecoach brought $113,000 at an auction. John Wayne & Yakima Canutt had modified the lever loop to accommodate the Dukes large hands , which allowed him to twirl the carbine while cocking it in the movie. The saddle ring carbine was chambered in.32 WCF had a 15 1/2" barrel and was subject to a BATFE transfer to the buyer as a short barreled rifle.  Prior to the auction the estimated value of the gun was $15,000 to $30,000.

Enjoy as I have:

JRJ 

Big loops for shooting with winter gloves were already made in the late 19th century and shorter barrels under 18 inches  called "trapper" were made in 1927 by Winchester...May be the reason Duke had this idea?

I reckon any thing is possible. LOL.

Had a Winchester Wrangler II, Big loop, .32 Winchester special, 16" barrel, had engraved plates. My daughter conned that off me a year ago. Geeez. That was a beauty to shoot and spin unloaded though. That was my early years for spinning. Waaa,Haw!

Archived