SASS Wire Forum

A Question For Our Friends Who Machine Embroider-Updated

Calamity Kris

This is for our friends who machine embroider.  I have recently purchased a sewing/quilting/embroidery machine and am loving it!!!  I have created so many projects, I'm starting to really go through thread.  As much as I would prefer to "buy small", like the shop I purchased the machine from, $12.00 - $15.00 per spool for embroidery machine thread will break me in short order.  My machine prefers Gutermann thread.  I have had fewer breakage and knotting problems with it than Coats or Wonderfil.  Are there any other brands out there I can try?  If so, what is your experience with them?

Thanks

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Thank you for the advice.  Madeira is the hot ticket.  I created this with 9 colors, 13 changes and only 3 breaks, because the spool became bound up and caused the break.  I have fixed that issue.

https://clan-morrison.smugmug.com/SASS-Costumes/n-dQJMdb/i-QVCT6Ls

most of my thread spools have come from these two places:

https://metroemb.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

http://www.threadart.com/

it's not quite as high quality as Gutermann, Robison-Anton, or Maderia...but they are both cheaper.  I especially like the metro ones, and they have a good sale going on right now on the metro classic mini spools.  They also have a pro line, little bit more but still cheap compared to the big brands.  Yes, I do have some breakage with them, but I bought a few spools of Gutermann on sale one time and have just as much breakage with those as the cheap ones.  Glad  you are enjoying your new machine, if you haven't checked it out yet this is my favorite website to buy patterns:  https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/default.aspx

18 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

most of my thread spools have come from these two places:

https://metroemb.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

http://www.threadart.com/

it's not quite as high quality as Gutermann, Robison-Anton, or Maderia...but they are both cheaper.  I especially like the metro ones, and they have a good sale going on right now on the metro classic mini spools.  They also have a pro line, little bit more but still cheap compared to the big brands.  Yes, I do have some breakage with them, but I bought a few spools of Gutermann on sale one time and have just as much breakage with those as the cheap ones.  Glad  you are enjoying your new machine, if you haven't checked it out yet this is my favorite website to buy patterns:  https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/default.aspx

Awesome!!  Thanks for the info.  I hadn't heard of these companies.  I will certainly check them out. 

My machine, a Pfaff, doesn't like the mini spools.  I guess it prefers the weight of the larger spools, so I'm feeding it what it likes.  I'll send you some pictures of my projects when I get a chance.

Thanks again and take care,

they both have bigger spools, 5000 yards instead of 1000, but I'm not sure exactly how big that would be, I buy the smaller ones.  looks like the bigger ones are on sale at Metro too.  What machine did you get?  I have a Brother PE770 (I think)

Hi Kris, I am Outrider's wife, Longshot Lillian.  I have an embroidery machine too, and sometimes it's not the thread, but the machine.  Is this a single needle machine or do you have a multi-needle?  If it's a single needle, have you flossed the machine to get any shredded thread or debris out of the thread path?  You also said that your machine doesn't "like" the mini spools.  That is primarily what I use (I have Sulky).  I have smaller spools of most of the colors, but have the larger spools of black and white, since I use those a lot.  Both work equally well on my Brother PE770.  Some people put their thread spools in a cup (coffee cup) behind the machine and find that helps.   If you are on Facebook, there are many groups for general embroidery, and usually you can find at least one for your particular make/model of machine.  If you find that you do want to switch thread brands, my advice for that is to purchase one spool each of the brands you are interested in that fit your budget and try them.  I recommend NOT getting black, as that color seems to sometimes have issues across different brands.  If you would like to PM me on Facebook, I would be glad to help you sort things out.   Once on Facebook, look up Mya Twesten.  I have a tan, black and white dog as a profile photo.  Just let me know who you are when you PM.  :-)

Yeah, Coats thread is junk...many posts about how low-quality it is.  You mentioned that the thread knots up.  That could be caused by the direction the spool is placed on the machine.  My 770 needs to have the thread coming off the bottom of the spool as it is facing you (thread spool is horizontal).  Double check your manual to see if there's a specific way the thread is directed to go onto the machine.

I am guessing that Calico Mary will read this too...we've met.  Ohio state match a couple years ago.  I'll be there again this year.  Hi Mary!  :-)

Thanks, ladies.  My machine is a Pfaff Creative Icon.  I purchased it in late January and just started using it in earnest about a month ago.  I have found it likes the spools farther away from the machine also so I'm going to purchase a stand alone spindle I can place behind it.  I'm hoping with the stand alone spindle I can go back to the smaller spools.  We will see.

I don't have a Facebook account for various reasons.  That's why I post my questions here.

Thanks again for the info and happy sewing!!!!

This may not be in the same league but we have 6 Melco EMT 16 plus machines at this location.  We have 6 more at our southern location.  We pretty much use Madeira thread unless there is some strange color or requirement we have to match.  We had to find a UV resistant thread and got that from Vision.  We use the big spools.  Machine holds 16 spools, single needle, cuts and changes thread automatically. Quite an amazing machine.  The operator loads, unloads and does some trimming.  We use them for higher volume production.

The wife uses Gutermann and Madeira thread. She says just DON'T use cheap thread. Google embroider thread and see what you come up with. Use what weight the instructions indicate and the best you are able to get. Cheap thread breaks very easy and leaves a mess.

10 hours ago, Outrider Outlaw said:

Hi Kris, I am Outrider's wife, Longshot Lillian.  I have an embroidery machine too, and sometimes it's not the thread, but the machine.  Is this a single needle machine or do you have a multi-needle?  If it's a single needle, have you flossed the machine to get any shredded thread or debris out of the thread path?  You also said that your machine doesn't "like" the mini spools.  That is primarily what I use (I have Sulky).  I have smaller spools of most of the colors, but have the larger spools of black and white, since I use those a lot.  Both work equally well on my Brother PE770.  Some people put their thread spools in a cup (coffee cup) behind the machine and find that helps.   If you are on Facebook, there are many groups for general embroidery, and usually you can find at least one for your particular make/model of machine.  If you find that you do want to switch thread brands, my advice for that is to purchase one spool each of the brands you are interested in that fit your budget and try them.  I recommend NOT getting black, as that color seems to sometimes have issues across different brands.  If you would like to PM me on Facebook, I would be glad to help you sort things out.   Once on Facebook, look up Mya Twesten.  I have a tan, black and white dog as a profile photo.  Just let me know who you are when you PM.  :-)

Yeah, Coats thread is junk...many posts about how low-quality it is.  You mentioned that the thread knots up.  That could be caused by the direction the spool is placed on the machine.  My 770 needs to have the thread coming off the bottom of the spool as it is facing you (thread spool is horizontal).  Double check your manual to see if there's a specific way the thread is directed to go onto the machine.

I am guessing that Calico Mary will read this too...we've met.  Ohio state match a couple years ago.  I'll be there again this year.  Hi Mary!  :-)

Hiya Lillian!  Cool that you'll be at Ohio State, I'm planning on it too....thanks for reminding me I gotta get around to printing the reg form.....;)

Archived