SASS Wire Forum

Alcan brass shotshells

Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104

So, I ran across some old and crusty Alcan 12ga brass shells a while back.  Being curious, I took them apart to reload with fresh components and discovered standard sg primers do not fit. Drilling the primer pocket out is an option but a PITA.  

Any suggestions on how to get these old girls back to work?  Magtech takes pistol primers but these are for regular shift primers.

At one time there were shotgun primers that were about .014" smaller than the 209 primer we use now.  Haunt the gun shows and you might find some at a cheap price because they are too small for todays hulls.  A couple of years ago a dealer begged me to buy a brick of new old stock of small primers.  I passed and so did everybody else.  You might be able to drill out your hulls and use mild loads.

Alcan 57 were used in the brass hulls.   Rem had 57 primers too.  The only 57 or 157 primers are long out of production and are gun show finds.     GW

2 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Alcan 57 were used in the brass hulls.   Rem had 57 primers too.  The only 57 or 157 primers are long out of production and are gun show finds.     GW

I found one brick on the back shelf of a gunshop about 15 years ago and another on a guy's table at an annual shoot. Both were CCI in red and white square package.  So I'm set with my Alcans for a while.  They are nice shells, thicker than Magtech/Winchester/Rem-UMC but not as thick as Rocky Mountain.  If you couldn't find the right primers it might be worth it finding someone to drill them to 209 size.

Archived