SASS Wire Forum

To all Newbs, Wannabees, and those wantin’ ta play cowboy

Sixgun Seamus

I was looking at another post about starting over and saw that someone waited a month on equipment and possibly missed a couple of shoots.

To that I say to all those who would like to join us, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE come out to a shoot. Don’t let lack of equipment stop you from shooting with us. Locate a club near you on the SASS website and call ahead. Let them know you are coming and would like to try it out. I know that at all the clubs I shoot at there would be guns and equipment waiting for you when you get there. You can offer to help pay for ammo, but I’ll bet you will be met with “No problem, just glad to have you here.” I always carry an extra set of guns and ammo to local matches just in case someone wants to try it out. I’ve had the opportunity to set up people several times like that. I know there is a stigma sometimes about borrowing someone else expensive equipment, but just remember, they wouldn’t have brought that extra stuff if they didn’t want someone to use it.

The “Cowboy Way” sets us apart from the rest of the shooting disciplines. Remember, for the most part, we are a bunch of grownups that get dressed up and want to play cowboy on the weekends. There is something special about those people…..they have a different mindset……they are not well…..they are the mental defectives, but they are also the most friendly, generous and outright good people that you will ever meet. The friendships to be made and the camaraderie to be had are endless. Come on out and shoot with us. Don’t Wait!!!

I wonder if it was my comment that prompted this thread ;) 

This spirit of camaraderie is what roped Ginny Hinny and me into the world of CAS.   One weekend early this past fall, we had been out at Red Castle Gun Club near Tulsa, OK, shooting our AR pistols at the plinking range.  We could hear quite a bit of gunfire coming from the CAS range next door, so after we got done, we walked down to see what was going on.  They were doing a local match, and at the end of a stage, one fellow pressed us to give it a whirl.  GH is not as uptight as I am about shooting someone else’s stuff, so she took him up on his offer.  After she shot a pair of SAA pistols, an 1894, and an 1897, I knew I was in trouble when GH walked back to me with this HUGE smile on her face!

We will be taking part in a match soon. 

And, at Tusco, yule not only learn, try lots of equipment, & meet a bunch of great pards, but yer first shoot is free!

Our next shoot is January 6, so if you live close to east-central Ohio, come on out & join us!

If it's too cold for ya, we shoot the first Saturday of every month.

--Dawg

tuscologo.jpg

A couple years ago I had the opportunity to visit my son and family in southern California.  I looked on the web for cowboy clubs that were not too far from him and found one that would be having a match while I was visiting.  I e-mailed the contact person and asked if we could watch the match.  His reply went something like:  heck no you can't watch the match.  You'll shoot it.  If you can't bring your own guns then we'll provide them and the ammo too.

Just a pretty typical bunch of cowboy shooters.

5a25616c5af35_OutriderOutlaw-PosseMember.JPG.cc7413867ddb6cfe8e73e8e507c76203.JPG

In the last 50 years, I had tried virtually every shooting discipline there is. What Seamus and Dawg said is why I'm stuck on cowboy. These people are nuts  , in the very best way!

Archived