SASS Wire Forum

Best Places to Live

Beyond personal preferences, a few facts help make judgments about where you might find your "Dream Place" to live.

I've been poking around the topic lately, and found this site to be very helpful - good basic facts about any city (taxes, schools, jobs, transportation, etc.), cost comparisons, and the ability to compare any two cities side-by-side.

Neat tool.

http://www.bestplaces.net/

LL

Nah, Allie, I think once you mentioned Oakland everybody bailed. :D

Another good tool for determining what a place is like is a Cost of Living Comparison Calculator. I have used these and they do help quite a bit. There are a bunch out there but what I do is take 2 or 3 different sites and enter the cities or  areas I am interested in in each of them. It will give you a good cross section of numbers to work with. Some of these places that are really nice to live need a really nice bankroll to live there. I have used these to help me negotiate salaries for jobs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cost+of+living+calculator&rlz=1CASMAI_enUS724US724&oq=cost+of+living+&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l5.8812j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I was born & raised in southern California, am a 4th generation Californio. My wife and I knew we did not want to stay there when we retired. We spent 20 years (started in 1980) looking for our perfect retirement location. We knew we would not move east of the Rockies. We spent vacations traveling to every state in this area. We settled here in SW Colorado and have never regretted it. Our county only has 25,000 people, land is relatively cheap, taxes are low and the people great. We bought 6 acres with irrigation rights and built our dream home.

Lovin every minute of it....for the last 17 years.

On 3/12/2017 at 10:11 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

When I think about moving priorities are none of the following: tornadoes, hurricanes, humidity, earthquakes.

the Rockies dunt git tha last three.....shockingly enuff it IS possible for there ta be tornadoes up in the mountains, but they are very very rare....if you kint afford up in the mountains, then the front range as close as possible to the foothills don't get very many, most of the ones we git are a bit further east on the plains....stay west of I25 and yu probably won't have ta deal wit em

Archived