SASS Wire Forum

pawl spring on pietta

Grizzly Dave

the little spring that is held in by the grip frame is what I'm talking about

it got away from me

a spare pawl spring from my ruger parts fits diameter wise, but may be longer, don't exactly have anything to compare it to

what would happen with too strong a pawl spring?

The pawl or hand spring provides some braking effect on cylinder rotation. Reliable lock-up depends on cooperation between the pawl spring and trigger/bolt spring.

Try it, good chance it will work I think.

they are my bro in laws, I'm past my experience level, gonna have him send them to someone who knows what the heck they are doing, I obviously do not.

thanks for the replies though.

but heck, as long as we're here...

the reason I had the grips off is I was trying to figure out why, once every maybe 6 times cocking the hammer, it wouldn't cock, try it one or two more times then it would go. any ideas? When it wouldn't go, it wouldn't even make it to half cock.

Fixing a gun problem is like playing cards or performing an exploratory surgery...one peek is worth 1000 guesses! Particularly if the revolver has undergone someone's tinkering.

I've already demonstrated the value of my speculations, no need to add more embarrassment.

Grizzly,

Over-Rotation or "Throw-By" is caused by several things. The least of which is the pawl spring. I would suggest checking the condition of the Trigger/Bolt spring. The OEM Pietta T/B spring is just fine and needs no "tuning." It may be too weak if it has been messed with. Often, Pietta Bolts fail to fit the slots in the cylinder and must be fitted. Late bolt rise will also cause throw-by.

Failure to cock as you describe can be caused by the bolt failing to reset. It can also be caused by the pawl being just a touch too long. Plus the hammer may not be contacting the bolt leg soon enough to unlock before the pawl starts to push the cylinder around.

If these problems existed when the guns came back from "tuning," I'd be of a mind to send them to someone else.

Coffinmaker

I agree with sending it back to the "tuner". Too many variables to diagnose. IMHO. Usually just throwing parts at a problem just causes more problems.

Al

Archived