SASS Wire Forum

Sharps loads advice

Hurricane Deck 100366

Recently picked up this pretty shooter. this is a Perdersoli Sharps Deluxe #3 in coin finish, caliber is 45-70. So far I've enjoyed shooting it with some factory winchester loads that were given to me but now it's time to start casting my own getting the rifle as accurate as possible.

Currently, it has a lyman apeture rear sight and a Lyman .584 globe on the front after coming to the conclusion that the Lyman .464 was too low and interfered with the factory buckhorn style rear sight at 100 yards or more.

This is my first Sharps and my first 45-70 so starting points would be appreciated=. I was told it had only been shot one time by it's previous owner - as in one bullet. it was then cleaned, oiled and placed un a buckskin bag and used as display. I love beautiul coin finish guns, but a beuatiful gun that is beautifully accurate is even better, so I'm on a mission! I plan on loading smokeless in it initially.

20160930_143901_zpsclxaocpg.jpg

Here's the daughter shooting it.

20161009_165829_zpss28kv49n.jpeg

Target shooting requires you to only hit the target accurately. Not kill it.

Start light and work up slowly.

In the single shot sharps you can use a spitzer bullet which will help considerably at subsonic speeds.

If it is a hunting round, then bullets in the heavy end is probably called for.

That is a beautiful looking rifle.

I have a Pedersoli Boss Sharps in 45/70 and am also working on loads.

At this stage I am experimenting with 405gr proj and trying to push them to BP type velocities (around 1400fps).

I will PM you some of my early loads and the chrono results.

The powder I use is Australian made but I understand the 2207 equates (not exact so I wouldnt use my loads without checking your loading manuals) to H4198 or Reloader 7.

Being a traditionalist, I load 70gr ffg with a 405 lubed lead bullet. The trick is keeping a note book and consistency in loads. Go to the range and learn your sights and keep notes as to settings at various ranges. One tip though, always make sure your sight is seated between shots,and use a blow tube.

When I got my Sharps repro a wise and experienced old gunsmith said, "You are dinging steel, not stopping Cape buffalo. If you miss it's not going to walk up and bite you on the shin bone."

His words came back the first time I shot a full house smokeless load and the adjusting knob on the Vernier tang peep smacked me in the middle of the fore head.

(Lesson: don't crawl up on it when shooting from a bench! Like our computer wizard at work said, the problem was mechanical in nature ... it's often the loose nut operating the keyboard that causes the problems! Or in my case the loose nut behind the butt plate!)

(I know, I know, don't quit my day job!)

I also went with a lighter load, I charged with Unique and had a more pleasant experience, but in my infinite wisdom I considered the cavernous vacancy in the case and thought, "I'll stuff that with toilet paper to hold the powder down on the flash hole."

Two shots and it looked like I was shooting chickens out the bore!

One range cleanup later, I switched to a corn meal filler for the light charge of Unique. I'm sure chipmunks and field meeces were happy once we left.

The moral of the story: Don't fire chickens out your bore, and don't crawl way forward on the stock when shooting from the bench!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we have similar Sharps.

I'm using an upper end charge of Trail Boss, under a 350 grain bullet and getting good results.

Archived