SASS Wire Forum

does it help to compensate or not really?

Trigger Mike

Oh yeah, they make a difference. Take a standard 9mm or 38 Super and then one that's got a good compensator on it and you'll notice a HUGE difference. First thing you'll notice is that the recoil comes straight back into your hand instead of the barrel rise you're used to. The second thing you'll notice is the sights don't even leave the target. The odd part about it though, and what screws most people up, is that the hotter the load the better they work. Here in SASS we load our rounds as light as possible to reduce recoil and therefore speed up recovery time. In semi-auto race guns you want as much gas pressure as possible so your compensator works even better.

ok, so I found a 1911 in 45. it has a 4 1/2 inch barrel and the last 1/2 inch or better part thereof is compensated. it should keep me on target?

Basically, if it is a good comp, it should help with muzzle control.

As for keeping you on target, that is subjective to your aiming abilities..... :)

Do you have any knowledge of 'Mag-na-port'? Venting slots are cut in the barrel of a pistol/rifle to tame recoil of magnum powered guns. Good Comps serve the same purpose.

Mike, I'm not an expert on comps but I will share what I have been told by a couple Compensator makers.

There are comps and then are are real good comps.

Having a couple holes or slots cut near the muzzle of a gun doesn't really equate to the performance of a good comp. There are differences.

A real good comp on a big bore magnum rifle can be more effective than a couple slots drilled into the barrel of a non-magnum pistol.

The description of that 1911 you posted may not be the compensation you are looking for to help control your muzzle. Plus, comps don't increase the accuracy of your gun. They just help in muzzle control to help reduce felt recoil and allow you better (faster) follow up shots on your target.

..........Widder

As was stated, the higher the pressure the better the compensator works. The 45 acp is a relatively low pressure round so the recoil reducing effect is not nearly as noticeable as with a 38 super.

I've been shooting USPSA for over 30 years and have never seen a compensated 45 used in competition. That may tell you about a compensator's effectiveness in a 45.

Archived