SASS Wire Forum

MEC 9000 - This may save you some pain

Max Payne

I bought my MEC 9000 about 3 1/2 years ago. Since new, it has always had the "Ka-lump!" that many of you know & hate that happens about halfway up on the upstroke. I talked to MEC on the phone, I studied the manual, I finally pulled the thing down to nothing, cleaning, eye-balling & lubing everything in sight. It worked for awhile, then went back to its old ways. I didn't want to take it down again, so I just lived with it for a long time, shaking the whole bench, primers jumping around, & spilling powder regularly. I had an 8 lb jug of Titewad I bought when things got tight, & the Titewad didn't help anything. MEC said, "No wonder" when I told him I was using Titewad, & he sent me an oversize grommet, saying the Titewad is very fine, which makes it more likely to rain powder. The oversize grommet helped a lot, but didn't completely fix the powder leak.

I printed the whole stack of "fixes" listed on one of the other threads for the "Ka-lump" problem. I talked to some pards at the shoot this weekend, & it was suggested I try to find one of the discontinued MEC resizer, conditioner, de-primers. None available, but I did see where one sold not long ago on EBAY for about $135. I was told the de-priming station is the culprit, & if I could find the MEC gizmo, I would de-prime & re-size with it, then resume with the other stations on the loader. Seemed like a lot of extra work, but I was willing if I could find one.

I thought about buying a Dillon 900 & ditching the MEC. I also thought about just sending it back to MEC & paying to have whatever needed adjusting done by somebody who knew what they were doing.

Yesterday, I pulled out the list of fixes I printed from the link on another thread. The 1st fix was to clean the shell holder gizmo, & then clean & lube the collet. this didn't seem like too much, so I thought I would give it a go, & if I had the energy, maybe start working my way thru the list. I 1st confirmed that there was no problem at any of the stations other than the de-prime, re-size station, which was the case. Then, I took a de-primed shotshell & put it on station 1 again. Still had a hitch even without the de-prime function, so I knew the collet was the culprit. I took my UniqueTek Shotgun brush, bent it in the middle, & brushed the heck out of the collet. I took some Break-free on a cloth & cleaned the fingers on the inside & outside.

Guess what! The loader ran smooth as butter! No hitch/"Ka-lump" on the upstroke as before! It feels like a new reloader! Thankfully, I finished the 8 lb jug of TiteWad & switched to Red-Dot, which is much more coarse. No more powder spills! The air is fresher! The grass is greener! I have more energy! I loaded about 200 shotshells today with everything working smoothly. If/when it starts the hitch again, it takes no time to clean & lube the collet. So, currently the 650, 550, & the 9000 are all behaving. Sweet.

Thought this might help someone, including my experience with the Titewad.

I've got and use the Mec conditioner. The one that sold recently on EBay was bought by Desperado...he saw mine and bought one. They are a very useful item.

Kajun

I found the same thing with tite group and got rid of it..

guess I need to try your fix

I talked with a MEC guy at the NRA convention the other day. He said, It's almost always a piece of shot in the collet device.

Good to see your nice and smooth👍🏼

Regards,

Ringer

I've never found a piece of shot in my collett,,, sigh,,,, not that I don't spill it often enough....

I bought a MEC 9000 quite a few years ago , maybe 15 -16 , out of the old Shotgun News ; and have loaded thousands of rounds on it. BUT , every once in a while it gets bad juju or something , and causes much use of descriptive vocabulary. Have learned and made up several new cusswords over the years. Spilled powder and shot many times. But when it is purring , I love it.

Glad to hear you found a cure for yours.

Rex :D

As everyone knows, this loader is much like a chainsaw, or your wife or girlfriend. You have to get to know it better every day & talk nice to it constantly.

Archived