SASS Wire Forum

Sweeping while drawing/holstering

McCandless

I'm aware of those rules, my point was that a cross draw worn on the side as long as it doesn't break the 30 degrees is OK, doesn't have to be worn in front to be "CORRECT".

If someone has told you that the cd holster has to be worn on front of body, they are wrong. If someone told you that it's going to be a LOT faster and easier to comply with the 170 rule when the cd is worn on the front of the body, they are WONDERFULLY correct.

If you want to argue with me about what someone else told you might be a rule, but isn't, I just don't have the time.

Sorry, GJ

The Rule is the Holster must Not be at an angle of "MORE THAN 30 degrees AS WORN"...

I have seen some that clearly exceed the angle because of body type , or belt placement...

So be careful ....

Jabez Cowboy

Here's another twist (no pun intended).

The 180 draw/immediate downrange 170 and allowing to hit 180 to holster, gets all boogered up with straight hang holsters at times.

How many of you have seen a shooter returning their revolver to holster and miss the bucket with the muzzle of the revolver going behind the holster, then the shooter tries reholstering again and gets it in the bucket.

Well, that point where the revolver has missed the bucket and is pointing to the rear breaks the 180 allowance for drawing and reholstering.

How many times have you seen that called?

I discussed this with a PM at a State Match a few years ago and his reply was "well, my friend xxxx, does it all the time and I don't feel comfortable calling him on it".

Karma had the PM miss the bucket while I was timing and I called him on it.

The rule is No Revolver may break the 180, to or from the holster and downrange. Straight hang or Cross Draw. The penalties are explained in the manuals.

That's one reason a holster with muzzle forward cant is your friend. No need to bring the muzzle all the way down perpendicular to the ground.

The 180 draw/immediate downrange 170 and allowing to hit 180 to holster, gets all boogered up with straight hang holsters at times.

How many of you have seen a shooter returning their revolver to holster and miss the bucket with the muzzle of the revolver going behind the holster, then the shooter tries reholstering again and gets it in the bucket.

Well, that point where the revolver has missed the bucket and is pointing to the rear breaks the 180 allowance for drawing and reholstering.

I discussed this with a PM at a State Match a few years ago and his reply was "well, my friend xxxx, does it all the time and I don't feel comfortable calling him on it".

The rule is No Revolver may break the 180, to or from the holster and downrange. Straight hang or Cross Draw. The penalties are explained in the manuals.

I see this happen quite often, and yes people are very reluctant to make the call! I wish it wasn't so! We discuss topics like these in our newsletters to try to make shooters aware of little tripping points so if they get called, they don't have a volcanic eruption of attitude.

Hopefully the PM that got it called on him will be more likely to enforce the rules correctly in the future!

WK

The shooter is OK up to the point that the muzzle points UPRANGE.

This is a very misunderstood and often misapplied rule...there is NO PENALTY for "missing the bucket" as long as the muzzle remains within the 180 allowance.

If he "selectively enforces" the rules based on whether the shooter is a friend of his (or not), he has NO BUSINESS being assigned to a position of authority at ANY match...especially a SASS-sanctioned Championship event.

:angry:

GOOD!

Archived