SASS Wire Forum

Transfer bar removal

Procedural Pete

I understand some shooters remove the transfer bar from their Ruger revolvers to avoid an issue if it breaks. Is there any other reason to remove it? Does removing the transfer bar improve revolver performance in any way?

Faster/easier effort to cock (very slightly)

Hammer face is usually built up to allow firing pin to be hit when you remove transfer bar.

Load five only after removing transfer bar.

Keep old bar in case you have to send gun back to Ruger for factory repair. They'll take out the welded up hammer in that case, too.

Mostly it's done to avoid breakage taking gun out of commision in middle of a match.

Good luck, GJ

GJ - Is removal of the t-bar needed to put in a half cock? I don't know or remember. Perhaps it's just something that kinda goes along with such mods.

I've been shooting my RNVs for 7 years now, a couple matches a month and they still have the original t-bars in them. I do carry one or both of them in the woods at times and like to load 6 and have never seen a need to do away with them.

I have heard tell of those who have had problems with t-bars, breaking several within a few years. But I think there are far more folks who have never had problems than those who have, you just hear about the problems more.

Mileage always varies.

Grizz

Don't you also have to add a half cock notch on the hammer to safely load the gun?

If you remove the transfer bar, yes, you need to add a half cock feature. You do not need to remove the transfer bar to add a half cock, though. Power Custom offers half cock hammers that retain the transfer bar.

GJ - Is removal of the t-bar needed to put in a half cock? I don't know or remember. Perhaps it's just something that kinda goes along with such mods.

I gave my SASS Vaqueros to Lassiter at Winter Range with the simple instructions of "Do whatever you feel is right". He did the short stroke, removed the transfer bar and added the half cock. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am. I can't give you any specific reasons for why each thing is done but I figure if Lassiter thinks it's right, who am I to argue? Go for it my friend, you won't be sorry. ;)

Why is the half cock notch needed if you remove the transfer bar?

If you don't have a half cock feature, you would have to hold the hammer back as you load and unload the cylinder. The hammer would be pushing the firing pin into the way of the cases. One, it would be inconvenient to have to do that and two, it would be unsafe.

I have been shooting West Fargo short stroked half cock Rugers for about 9 years.

Archived