SASS Wire Forum

Colt Lightning Rifle 38-40

Wild Willi

I bought a Colt lightning Rifle in 38-40 It is is and octagonal barrel. The woos is good and the finish looks to have been removed at some point although the barrel lettering is very strong but the Rampant

Colt logo on the receiver is very faint. Now I love the gun but I do not reload and do not shoot 38-40. When I priced the ammo I was a little shocked. I have several repos in 45lc but wanted and original

Colt. I most likely paid too much for but wanted to get an idea of it's value and judge interest if it were for sale.

Thanks. WW

411696113.jpg

411696112.jpg

411696111.jpg

411696110.jpg

Probably should post this in one of the other sections since you're just testing the waters but not offering it for sale outright.

if you want to sell I'm in the market and I'd be interested, but YOU must put a price in the ad for it to stay in the classifieds section.

Probably should post this in one of the other sections since you're just testing the waters but not offering it for sale outright.

if you want to sell I'm in the market and I'd be interested, but YOU must put a price in the ad for it to stay in the classifieds section.

Yep, I'm seeing more, and more of these "price requests" in the classified section. More times than not they are putting out what they have, and fishing for private offers. Current prices are just a few mouse clicks away on GunBroker by doing a completed auction search.

Yep, I'm seeing more, and more of these "price requests" in the classified section. More times than not they are putting out what they have, and fishing for private offers. Current prices are just a few mouse clicks away on GunBroker in the completed auction search page.

EXACTLY why my post is worded how it is. I'm seeing more and more of the 'fishing for offers' ads too.

The Blue Book of Gun Values or a whole host of other resources will get the OP a much better, accurate value for the rifle as opposed to throwing a hook in the water here.

I do not have it for sale and as I said most likely paid to much! I believe if I state the price I paid for your pards would say that is too much. I did not buy on price but impluse. If I wanted to get max money out of it I would post it on gun broker! I am trying to get a judgement on what a sass wire pard thinks it is a worth as a game gun! I can look up the blue book price in 10 seconds, in 10 min I can get a search of GB past sales. That is not why pards post here, we are looking for what value other sass pards place on these items!

It is always hard giving an assessment of an antique without seeing it and checking the function. Assuming it is all there and all the internal parts are in good condition and the bore is half-way decent, and these are large assumptions without taking the gun apart and examining the parts and bore, a good shooter price would be between $800 and $1200. The pony on the side is very shallow and on most grey guns isn't visible at all. If it is showing that is a good sign.

I too had a lightning addiction and learned the hard way about the internals and how they function. I have 2 in 32-20 and 4 in 38-40.

I competed with a 32-20 for the first 6 years of my SASS career. The smith shop is the place to go for parts and ElRod is the man for questions.

800 to 1500 is a good range

Let me know when you decide on a price and wish to sell it. I shoot 38-40 regularly and always liked the pump rifle if it works I bought an early Taurus thunderbolt in 45 lc but the blowback makes it uncomfortable to shoot. I shoot cc so I would have to shoot it in another category. Maybe with my ROAs in frontiersman.

Archived