SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 hammer time

Ripsaw

I started CAS earlier this year with a Rossi M92, and have since switched to a Cody Matic (Uberti/Taylors '73) which is one sweet gun. Now I'm thinking about trying BWestern. So my Rossi is trying to come to back to haunt me.

Besides ejecting live rounds (which I could avoid if I slowed down) on the Rossi, if you hit the trigger too early, the hammer follows the bolt forward. No bang. without the presence of mind to reach up and cock the hammer in the middle of a frantic string, I'd jack out that round and suffer the consequences.

This Rossi has been slicked up pretty well, so it is pretty smooth.

Looking for suggestions/tricks/advice on how to avoid the early hammer release. (besides the obvious "don't pull the trigger too soon") What do other Rossi shooters do? Or is just slow down?

What OAL do you load your rounds?Load you 38 brass to a OAL of 1.505.Try that.

It's really not that hard to do, just close the lever before you pull the trigger!

Blackfoot :(

Do you shoot a Rossi as your main match gun?

This will fix the problem where you eject a loaded round.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossi_92_cartridge_guide.htm

For the early fire problem, practice.

Thank you! this is helpful information. I have been all over Marauder's pages and used Nate Kiowa Jones' (Stevesgunz) DVD and spring kit to slick up the gun. I missed this information somehow. Other than the longer stroke, the Rossi is easier to operate than my Cody Matic (less lever operating resistance).

I am loading .38s to 1.507 to 1.510 using TCFP 125g bullets. I have some .357 starline brass on the way for some more experimentation. Most of my .357 brass is loaded already with non-cowboy loads.

First, thanks for buying my stuff. For the trigger you might try adding some trigger spring tension.

Edit;

With a dummy round on the carrier in the up position use automotive feeler gauges to measure the gap between the dummy round and guide. Let's say it is .015". So now select a feeler gauge a few thou smaller say .012 and make your shim from it.

I have the same problem, I started using a '73 and gave the Rossi to my daughter (she shoots slower), now that she is getting better, she has had a few live rounds jacked out so I guess I'm going to do some "shimming"

The references to you for Marauder's web page ......... and Nate Kiowa Jones reply are THE answers. Messing around with Overall Length is a waste of

time. My personal preference is for the right side guide to just sorta "kiss" the cartridge case. No drag, just touch.

Drop by your local auto parts store and pick up a blade type feeler gauge set. Use if for your measurements (per Nate) and cut your permanent shim from

the feeler gauge set.

Coffinmaker

I have feeler gauges and the skills to shim the guide. I can do that.

NKJ, I did add some trigger spring tension back after I went too light. That did help.

thanks for all the suggestions.

With a dummy round on the carrier in the up position use automotive feeler gauges to measure the gap between the dummy round and guide. Let's say it is .015". So now select a feeler gauge a few thou smaller say .012 and make your shim from it.

That is a great idea! I would have never thought of that.

I cannibalized a feeler gauge & made a shim, went right in. I cycled some dummies through & it seems to work great. Will test fire this weekend.

Do you shoot a Rossi as your main match gun?

I do shoot a Rossi '92 as my MMG. A very slick fast '92 at that. I shimmed it per Marauders instruction, only run 357 Starline cases with a 125gr RNFP and a heavy crimp, very important to smooth feeding is NO corners on bullet or leading edge of the case. I also polished the heck out of the little ramps on the case guides, removing the sharp corner that tend to grab the case rim as they go by.

No matter what you do to the gun you can only run as fast as your trigger finger works without having to jack a live one. One jacked bullet in a string will cost you more time than slowing down just a titch. I had to drill, drill, drill to commit the proper sequence of events to automatic muscle memory to run the '92 at max, for me, speed. I still revisit that drill occasionally at 1/2 or 3/4 speed to make sure I am not getting sloppy. Practice makes perfect! :)

I measured the clearance on a few rounds this morning--they ran 10 mils. I took the 7 mil shim, drilled a hole and then cut it to shape, installed. Everything seems to work fine. will do some testing tomorrow.

Archived