SASS Wire Forum

Eastern Divisional Championship

guitar_slinger

I just got a email from SASS announcing the Eastern Divisional Championship. It's a first time match. However, it is being held in Maryland.

EDIT

It seems the NRA website has some erroneous information regarding transporting handguns in Maryland. I have removed the quote from their site. The purpose of this question was if it is legal to transport handguns to and from the match and back home (including at the hotel) in the state without running afoul of the law.

Questions answered below:

It may be good for some of the Maryland clubs to work with state NRA affiliates to get the information corrected to accurately reflect the reality.

END OF EDIT.

Next year, my family is considering a trip to Gettysburg and this could be an interesting side-trip if we don't land in jail as a result.
GS

I shoot in Maryland all of the time and live 30 minutes from Gettysburg, contact Chuckaroo at Wildliferangers@aol.com. As long as your guns are separated from the ammo and locked in a case you are good to go. Chuckaroo and Thurmont have been hosting regional at that club for 15 years. FYI Chuckaroo knows pretty much all of the does and don'ts with Maryland gun laws.

I shoot in Maryland all of the time and live 30 minutes from Gettysburg, contact Chuckaroo at Wildliferangers@aol.com. As long as your guns are separated from the ammo and locked in a case you are good to go. Chuckaroo and Thurmont have been hosting regional at that club for 15 years. FYI Chuckaroo knows pretty much all of the does and don'ts with Maryland gun laws.

Thanks. Sent him an email. I'll post the response here. The above statement from the NRA website seemed pretty ominous. Just wanted to be sure I didn't end up spending a lovely extended vacation in the Maryland Gray Bar Hotel.

It is perfectly legal to transport firearms for the purpose of a shooting competition. The quote above was taken out of context.

Transporting firearms to and from a range, to and from a dealer, to and from a gunsmith, to and from a gun show, to and from hunting, to and from an event where the firearms are used theatrically, are all legal.

Guns must be in a case, unloaded and out of reach of the driver. If you are in a car, the trunk is the best option.

The conditions, in the original post, are for times other than the ones listed by me.

Chuckaroo

It is perfectly legal to transport firearms for the purpose of a shooting competition. The quote above was take out of context.

Transporting firearms to and from a range, to and from a dealer, to and from a gunsmith are all legal.

Guns must be in a case, unloaded and out of reach of the driver. If you are in a car, the trunk is the best option.

Chuckaroo

Great to know. Thanks.

What about an SUV that does not have a trunk. In a case behind the rear seat OK?

Great to know. Thanks.

What about an SUV that does not have a trunk. In a case behind the rear seat OK?

Yes, as long as the driver cannot reach it. If you have a pick up truck, with no extended cab or cap, your best bet is to also lock the case so the driver cannot access it and put them behind the seat.

The law is intended to keep people from carrying handguns all the time, not just for the approved reasons.

Hey Pards,

Chukaroo also responded via email. When we get closer to our trip up East I'll reach out to him again for next year's dates and I'll get in touch with Maryland law enforcement to be sure I'm obeying the laws as it relates to traveling in my SUV.

Much appreciate the quick response. Sounds like there may be an out of state match in my future (well, out of states of Ohio and Kentucky).

GS.

Lock Guns, Hide Ammo, Got it

See you in a Month,

looking forward to shooting with my "way up yonder" friends

Scratch

Chuckaroo is our version of E.F. Hutton, he's got all the answers.

Since the quote you used in your OP is wrong could you do us Marylanders a solid and delete it. Maybe replace it with just a "what do I need to do to bring my SASS guns and ammo into MD ? " Once the panic sets in half the people won't care about the facts. Thanks. MW

PS. Hope to see you there. Maryland in October is great.

Since the quote you used in your OP is wrong could you do us Marylanders a solid and delete it. Maybe replace it with just a "what do I need to do to bring my SASS guns and ammo in to MD ? " Once the panic sets in half the people won't care about the facts. Thanks. MW

PS. Hope to see you there. Maryland in October is great.

Good point MW.

When I get back to my computer and not on my phone I will do that. Some of you Maryland guys need to contact NRA and get them to correct it there. I copied directly from the NRA website.

GS

When I get back to my computer and not on my phone I will do that. Some of you Maryland guys need to contact NRA and get them to correct it there. I copied directly from the NRA website.

GS

We appreciate it and you are correct we need to make that call . Thanks . MW

Only 25 more days till I head out on my big adventure to the Northern Tundra !!

Can't wait to see them penquins and poloar bears.

We are excited about making our first trip to Thurmont! Heard so much (all good) about this match! Looking forward to seeing friends and making lots of new ones!

Chicken Scratch,

If you see penguins and polar bear, you missed your turn.

yea you know them Florida boys, anything above Georgia is the great white north :P

Scratch

yea you know them Florida boys, anything above Georgia is the great white north :P

Scratch

Don't forget to grab the tire chains. The penguins and polar bear like it on the ice! :lol:

In reality, early October up here is usually one of the best times of year. It is cool in the morning, warm in the afternoon, the leaves are starting to change color, and when we are lucky, there is a gentle breeze to waft away the BP smoke. However, the weather up here is unpredictable so come prepared for hot, cold, wet, dry, windy, calm..... :D

Travel safe and we look forward to seeing you up here and again down there for the Siege.

Dogmeat

Archived