SASS Wire Forum

OSHA Fact Sheet

Subdeacon Joe

I'd been looking through the OSHA site for Safety Meeting Topics and saw this: Crowd Management Safety Guidelines for Retailers

What kind of jumped out at me was:

Planning
  • Where large crowds are expected, hire additional staff as needed and have trained security or crowd management personnel or police officers on site.
  • Create a detailed staffing plan that designates a location for each worker. Based on the size of the crowd expected, determine the number of workers that are needed in various locations to ensure the safety of the event (e.g., near the door entrances and throughout the store).
  • Ensure that workers are properly trained to manage the event.

Do you think that they meant this?

300px-Pamphlet.jpg

"A 16th-century pamphlet showing a mixed pike and shot formation. Pikemen are represented by the letter "p", the two "winges of shot" by the letter "o." ("H" represents halberdiers.) A group of "loose shotte" has been pushed forward into the front of the formation."

Having just recently taken a position within the Safety Department - this is getting printed out and hung on my cubicle. :D

Having just recently taken a position within the Safety Department - this is getting printed out and hung on my cubicle. :D

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Pike_square_img_3653.jpg/800px-Pike_square_img_3653.jpg

800px-Pike_square_img_3653.jpg

"First rank with pikes at "charge", second rank holding pikes at "port". In real action first 3 - 4 ranks will hold their pikes at "charge" (their points projecting forward from the formation front), and those behind will hold weapons at "port" (to avoid injuring front rank friendlies with their points)."

Archived