SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 12 gauge hammered pump....1898?

Major Art Tillery

I have a Marlin 12 gauge hammered pump shotgun, I think it is a model 1898. I know these are no longer used in SASS because of some safety issues. My question is one of these old enough that you don't need to go thru an FFL? Or....? I want to sell it as is, so was wondering.

IMG_20150721_200334791_zpsgqvplwed.jpg

IMG_20150721_200356032_HDR_zpsa1n5dkod.j

IMG_20150721_200403275_zpsgxwk0ekb.jpg

IMG_20150721_200411067_zpsjnjl73fn.jpg

IMG_20150721_200500862_zpslo3fgeau.jpg

The model number is irrelevant. The Model "94" Winchester was made for years and most require an FFL. Marlin serial numbers are a little harder to find, but it is unlikely yours is an antique.

The model number is irrelevant. The Model "94" Winchester was made for years and most require an FFL. Marlin serial numbers are a little harder to find, but it is unlikely yours is an antique.

Ok, thanks... I was not for sure how that was all determined.

Major

There is a Marlin shotgun partial serial number list out there. i used to have it in one of my "favorites" lists, but it was lost when that computer released it's magic smoke a couple of years ago. If it is an actual model 98 it will not have a slide release mechanism. They were actually available in 1897 in some small quantities and have patent dates I've seen as early as 1893.

Best way to be sure would be to get a factory letter from the Cody Firearms Museum. You can order one online here...

http://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Note the following note:

Models 1898 shotgun records range from serial number 19601 to 67000

If your gun is in that range, I'd say go for it.

As to if these guns are safe to shoot, this is very controversial. At best, it is a definite 'maybe.' Check out this article...

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin98.html

Towards the end of article, there is a list of 4 safety checks to see if it is safe to shoot. Once I saw one of these shotguns in a local shop. It failed all 4 tests. I gave the shop owner the printed article, which he attached to the gun. Somebody eventually bought it but not me.

Personally, even if it had passed all 4 tests, I would not fire one of these shotguns unless it was carefully gone over by an expert on the model.

That being said, I do find them to be visually interesting, and while I greatly prefer guns I can shoot, I would consider owning one of these for a wallhanger.

Got pics??

Might be interested.

I've got three, (used to have four but a guy liked my 24 a whole lot) already and have an empty spot in my safe if it's the right one.

I witnessed a failure once with the bolt flying back and breaking the shooters nose.

Most guns I have seen at Gun Shows were in excellent condition due to the fact they weren' t fired very much because they were pieces of junk.

Yeah pretty much a wall hanger.

Archived