SASS Wire Forum

Who was the first stranger you met at a SASS shoot?

Mack Hacker, #60477

Miz Lou Graham, Doc Black (RIP) and Snakeyes Frank Tanner. Great people and great cowboys. It's easy to love this sport with fine folks like that.

Moving to VA recently, I miss them already...........

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember their names, but I'll never forget their kindness and welcome. I was a single guy in the Marine Corps and shooting a weird blend of IPSC and IDPA at a couple ranges in North Carolina. After one of the matches, a couple of guys asked me if I was coming out the next day for the Cowboy Action Shoot. I said what's that? They filled me in. I said it sounds like great fun, but I don't have any of the gear. They told me to come anyway. I said I would come to watch, and if I liked it would start shopping for guns n leather. I showed up the next day, and those guys literally threw guns and ammo at me. When I raised my arms to catch them, one of them snuck up behind me and started buckling holsters around my waist. They were actually apologizing that nobody had an extra scattergun and I would have to share one of theirs. Other than that, they loaned me the whole shootin' match. Needless to say, I was hooked.

Same as Marauder. I was visiting at Comanche Valley Vigilantes to see what it was all about. Goatneck Clem got us interested. A Boy Named Sue spent some time answering questions and gave me some of the magazines to look at.

Horace

I'll never forget that day. I was being nice to hubby and went for a ride to a gun club. Have to admit I thought the idea was crazy. I sat in the truck for a while while he wandered around. Finally got out of the truck and this guy starts waving and wanting to chat. I was trying not to be rude, but did say something along the lines that I thought you people were freaks. It didn't phase Turkey Creek Red one bit, he kept chatting and finally got me to leave the parking lot and watch the match. Have to admit, I've been hooked since...going on 12 years now.

Thanks Red, you were a great example of how I hope I treat visitors and new shooters.

I first heard of SASS in Iraq back in '06. After getting back to Ft Campbell, I went to Whittaker Guns in KY to get some guns. I looked over and saw a couple of cowboys all dressed up. It was Texas Jack Stephens and Rowdy Fulcher. They asked me to come shoot at their club. I still think of them and our days shooting often. Good days!

Well ...I didn't meet him at a sass match.. I met him at a shell gas station. I was in the process of building a new shooting range in north fl and had started to advertise so I had some stickers on my truck. I had been on a bulldozer most of the day and had gone to the gas station to get a cold drink. I walked out of the store and this guy was standing next to my truck. He was as tall as me and had a bunch of tattoos and a ponytail that went down to his belt line and also this mustache that was waxed up and curled like you would see in an old western. When I walked to my door he said "excuse me sir could you tell me where this range is". I said about a mile that way but I am not through building yet and it would be a month or so before I was open. When he found out I was the owner I thought he was going to faint. He told me he did this cowboy shooting match thingy and would really like to talk with me about starting a club at my range. I gave him my number and from then on he came by the range all the time offering to help me and telling me and lil mis more about cowboy. So next thing I know mis has me cutting out cowboy shapes and painting and buying some horse blankets and getting hay bales to use as tables for our first match. His name is Von Zipper and is still one of my best friends and now everyone knows the origin of the Ghost town gunslingers and how it happened. Oh yea..at that first shoot this feller was there in a t shirt and a pair of overalls and boots. Zipper told me to watch him shoot. I said really, there are a few people who look way fancier than him. Zipper told me he invited him and had told him it would be really wet and muddy so not to wear his fancy stuff .I watched and this is how I met one of my best buds. His name is Santa Fe River Stan.

Cope (who's glad this feller came up to him at store)

Ten years ago! Man, that doesn't seem possible!

First cowboy I met was Lawman Mark, who loaned me guns, ammo and holsters for that first match and Doc Early (no longer shooting). Lawman is now president of the North Alabama Regulators, still a good friend, and a lot of fun to shoot with. I've made a bunch of good friends since then that I would do anything for and they for me.

I've sure found a home in SASS!

Archived