My ongoing Marlin 1894 saga

Go play in your sawdust---- :P:lol::lol:

OLG

I did.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah we got dumped on at Pala today.

Wasn't trying to stir things up, just stating a fact.

u stir things up?

NEVER!

JJJ-D

:ph34r::P:ph34r:

OID===operator induced difficulty

Blackfoot

Now that could be a possibility...... I had DV try it with the same result....

Is OID genetic?

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

On a funnier side note.....

I had to go to the DMV to get a duplicate driver license so's I could do the DROS on another Marlin rifle....

only to find that the FFL won't do it unless my current address is on the license. Went to the DMV website for my local DMV and the first appointment I could get was 7/22/15. This was on 7/12/2015....

Then I notice that DMV offers 'SAME DAY SERVICE' at four 4 locations in Cali for license applications only. Cool me thinks so I set up an appointment for 7/17/15. It's in Stanton but I figure at least I can get the license and get the DROS done. Stanton is 90 minutes away so off Deja and I go to gitter done.

I get there and I am early. No worries they take me right away. The guy takes all my paperwork........ then he tells me it will be 3-6 weeks to get the new license?

I ask "What about the same day service?" The guy says "Well, we are serving you today... It'll still be 3-4 weeks to get your license."

Semantics is a bear.... :wacko:

JJJ-D

Wasn't trying to stir things up, just stating a fact.

Deja is VERY :o upset over yer comment 'bout my Marlin, she says if'n ya want to make amends a nice bottle of Balvenie would go a loooooonnnnng way! :wub:

JJJ-D

:ph34r::blink::ph34r:

Sounds like a cutting torch would not be out of order.

OR, maybe JJJ needs to slow down his cycling action.

Ten rounds on target in three seconds is a bit over the top. :D

u haven't seen my scores have ya...... :blink:

JJJ-D

It appears the ejector does not have enough tension to propel the shell out.....

The cases on a Marlin are ejected when the case is pulled back against the ejector. The ejector does not move inside the rifle. Tension on the ejector makes little difference in ejecting the case.

Two obvious problems that cause cases to not eject.... 1 - Weak extractor 2 - Short stroking the lever 3 - cases falling off the bolt face.

It appears, from the photos, that the bottom "shelf" on the bolt has been removed. This "shelf" holds empty case in position on the bolt face and keeps it from falling off the face of the bolt during extraction and lines up the round to feed into the chamber. Without the "shelf" the round will have a tendency to tip up and hang up on top when trying to chamber.

You can relieve some of that problem with judicious relieving the sharp lip on the upper portion of the chamber entrance OR switch to truncated cone bullets.

Has this rifle been converted to Widdermatic? It doesn't look like it has as the rounds are trying to feed relatively level. A Widdermatic gun is modified to feed at an angle.

Just about everyone has had a shot at this possessed rifle.....

Three gunsmith's in Cali, 2 outa state, then Lumpy....

And it does have many of Widder's modifications, he was a great help and is still involved trying to solve this, seems it's a new conundrum for all of us.

Observe, adjust, and overcome....

Stay tuned!

JJJ-D

Maybe you should just get a Garand. :)

Now there's an idea.....

How light would the loads hafta be? :blink:

JJJ-D

Keep it under 2700 F/S and 150 grain bullets and you should be good to go.

Do ya think I can make it LOOK like a cowboy rifle?

:)

JJJ-D

Tacks. leather butt cover, and a few feathers hung from the sling attachments. Nobody will ever notice.

Dang, OLG, you are fast.

• 3 weeks later...

FINAL UPDATE!!!

(I hope...)

A coupla weeks ago Lumpy and I spent the afternoon working once again on the possessed Marlin. We got it to work after several hours cycling and tweaking the parts.

I took it to the range and the rounds rounds cycled just fine, only now the empties would regularly flip in the chamber and NOT EJECT!

So after consultation with all those involved we decided to do a simple adjustment... we bent the ejector spring to give it more tension. IT WORKED! So at least now it will feed .38 cartridges. No luck with the .357 cartridges.

In the meantime I order new parts from Brownell's.... extractor, ejector, and ejector spring.

While visiting with Lumpy today we decided just for giggles to put an new stock ejector AND extractor in the rifle....

By the way these parts from Brownell's look really good, no sharp edges and the ejector spring is good spring steel. (I still wonder why they now sell the ejector and spring separately.)

We cycled the 38's through and it ran perfectly! Then we tried the .357's and they cycled perfectly!

I am off to the range in the next few days to live fire both to verify what appears to be a CURED MARLIN!

I'm bringing a rosary just in case....

JJJ-D

JJJ-The ejector, is still the one you had in it.

I changed the extractor and spring to the news ones you rec'd from Brownells.

IF- you have any issues. Put the new ejector in and re-test fire......... ;)

Fingers crossed, and Rabbit's foot in hand for a successful 'live-fire'.

OLG

Yet ANOTHER UPDATE.....

After getting closer to a working rifle with still some hiccups it went to a match. It ran great for one stage then started failing to chamber on the following stages, it was maddening.

Then a pard named Pack Rat offered some of his rounds ta try cuz his Marlin will only run the rounds he has loaded using the old style round nose bullets, not the round nose flat point like I am using. He casts his own bullets using an old lyman mold.

So we loadem' up and the rifle runs like a champ after hiccuping like crazy on the previous stage!

In the meantime lumpy and I decided we would try swapping out the levers on mine and Deja's rfile. Mine runs smooth with her lever and hers hiccups using my lever....

So I have a lever on order now. The two rifles are 2 years apart in manufacture (mine is 1999 and hers is 2001)

Very little difference between the two levers except at the edge that moves the bolt. Mine is more worn and is slightly rounded at both ends. Hers is more square. Could this be contributing? Looks like ta me...

The other thing I did was to replace the lifter with an 'old style' factory unmodified lifter. (without a shim) This greatly improved the chambering trouble to where it was occasional instead of all the time.

I found a maker of round nose bullets and ordered some to try out as well. I hope to get these loaded to the same length aas Packrat's rounds and see what happens.

Looks like we are getting closer!

JJJ-D

I don't want this story to end.

Ya shudda got a .44 Mag, Pard.

Why-My wife's :wub: .38 CBC has run like a champ. 1 broken ejector spring and one broken OEM firing pin(one piece in now).

My .44 24" BBL, CB has broken 2 OEM FPs(one piece in now), the extractor spring and I had to fix the 'Marlin jam' with a rebuild and small weld on the carrier.

Plus, JJJ's handguns are .38's and so are DJ's--

;)

OLG

Why-My wife's :wub: .38 CBC has run like a champ. 1 broken ejector spring and one broken OEM firing pin(one piece in now).

My .44 24" BBL, CB has broken 2 OEM FPs(one piece in now), the extractor spring and I had to fix the 'Marlin jam' with a rebuild and small weld on the carrier.

Plus, JJJ's handguns are .38's and so are DJ's--

;)

OLG

You are just heavy handed, OLG :D

Slick McClade sells an excellent after market extractor. They have worked flawlessly in every gun I have put them in.

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SlickMercantile.html

I bought one and it did not work..... It was very stiff and rough... The hook was very thick and too long and pointed.

I was not happy with it at all.

JJJ-D

I bought one and it did not work..... It was very stiff and rough... The hook was very thick and too long and pointed.

I was not happy with it at all.

JJJ-D

X2, and I saw the one JJJ bought-

OLG

Oh goody, another chapter to the saga.

Oh goody, another chapter to the saga.

Well it looks like the series may be ending....

I installed a new OEM lever in the Marlin and it seems to work just fine now! The lever is more square on the end that contacts the carrier and there are a couple of other changes to the lever. Series ends with the Marlin working like it should, but just for .38's!

The test will come next weekend at 'Legends'.

Funny how the rifle will work with a stock carrier and lever.....

OR will it?

Find out next season!

JJJ-D

Archived