SASS Wire Forum

WTC?

40Chev

First pistol, engage the five targets in a sweep. second pistol repeat. Ive been around this sport for 13 years and ive never seen a gunfighter get a penalty for shooting two sweeps with alternating shots. i guess im not clear on where the question of poor writing comes into play. if you shoot one handed, two handed, or gunfighter, you still shoot two sweeps. its just written like its always been written. i always thought it meant the same thing as first five shots and second five shots. kinda thought that was common sense.

I have been given a P for the first pistol second pistol BS. It was taken back, but it's still aggravating. Easily fixed by better stage writing. That's all I'm saying.

PWB, is it a requirement to empty the pistol before loading the replacement round for the dud?

NO

If not I say he was clean per what is written because the way I read it he declared the malfunction before he loaded the extra round. I don't see where if he put it in the empty chamber or knocked one out and loaded makes a difference if he leaves the hammer down after firing that round. That leave the revolver safe to leave a shooters hand since the hammer is down on a spent round.

So if he didn't get a clean match or should of got one please tell me my errors.

First pistol, engage the five targets in a sweep. second pistol repeat. Ive been around this sport for 13 years and ive never seen a gunfighter get a penalty for shooting two sweeps with alternating shots. i guess im not clear on where the question of poor writing comes into play. if you shoot one handed, two handed, or gunfighter, you still shoot two sweeps. its just written like its always been written. i always thought it meant the same thing as first five shots and second five shots. kinda thought that was common sense.

Attempts by SOME T/Os/clubs to assess a "P" for not using 1st then 2nd revolver; Left/Right Pistol; etc as directed by the literal stage instructions were happening often enough that it was necessary to codify the "first 5 shots/second 5 shots" GF conversion in the rules.

See the previous RO2 reference.

Attempts by SOME T/Os/clubs to assess a "P" for not using 1st then 2nd revolver; Left/Right Pistol; etc as directed by the literal stage instructions were happening often enough that it was necessary to codify the "first 5 shots/second 5 shots" GF conversion in the rules.

See the previous RO2 reference.

Understood. ive just never seen it, so thats why i asked. My father and i have been writing stages for our local club that is a state match every other year, and we use first pistol secon pistol. We have never seen in incident that occured like that. I didnt know it has happend before. thanks for clearing that up PWB

Have seen things get somewhat heated over those things.

And the.

Nevada sweep the three targets with each pistol.

For most of us. That would be two Nevada sweeps right.

But have seen GFer just do a double tap Nevada sweep.

Saying he did it with each pistol.

A little different wording helps take that kind of problem away.

This thread has kind of turned in to kind of a bash the stage writer type of thing which is certainly never what I intended. For what it's worth - I don't recall the exact wording of the instructions - in all fairness - they may have been written the way some have described as "proper".

When I hear instructions read by the posse leader I get them clear in my head as to how I ought to shoot the stage - do the finger point thingy at the targets a few times, sometimes reread the directions and then walk away from the discussions on how to shoot, what'd he say, etc.

So again, in defense of the stage writer - what I put down as "instructions" were not necessarily as it was written - but my interpretation of how I was to shoot the stage using my category and shooting style (I shoot the pistol with my right hand only and use a two handed grip). Thus "first pistol, second pistol" was what fit my understanding of how I shot it. I was also trying to make it as clear as possible what the stage required and how I did it.

Of course, what I think I'm going to do and what happens when the timer goes off doesn't always jive.

On a last note, went to bed with a smile on my face last nite after PWB's clarification.

Thanks again

There is no bashing going on. These WTC type posts are excellent for information distribution about our game and how its played. If stage writers can glean some useful information from posts like these, I'm all for it. You can't have too thin of a skin on the wire.

Have seen things get somewhat heated over those things.

And the.

Nevada sweep the three targets with each pistol.

For most of us. That would be two Nevada sweeps right.

But have seen GFer just do a double tap Nevada sweep.

Saying he did it with each pistol.

A little different wording helps take that kind of problem away.

if he didn't hit the targets in the same order as the other shooters he gets a p for shooting the targets out of order.

I used to shoot gfer and saw way too many use ignorance of the rule either by themselves or others to shoot to their advantage like the double tap Nevada sweep you mention. And the bad thing was the mods and tos didn't know better even some tgs would side with them when it was pointed out. I quit because it wasn't right so I went to frontiersman full several year before switching to classic cowboy when it got tiring to be busy on the stage from the time you got on the stage until the stage was over hardly anytime to think about the stage or prepare for the next one. Just like going from shooting gfer to frontiersman was less stressful trying to figure how to engage the revolves going from frontiersman to cc was just as releasing not being constantly busy during a stage and having time to help out elsewhere than the unloading table.

Archived