SASS Wire Forum

F150 parts source question?

Clay Mosby

Has anyone in this august body dealt with Auto Parts World? My '06 F150 drivers door window mechanism broke, leaving it stuck about 2" open. Could be worse, but still a pain. Anyway after searching on the confuser, these folks are advertising a replacement that's about $35 cheaper than anyone else for the same brand of part.

This is the second hit this week. A couple days ago the heater/ac blower quit. I need to pull it out and check to see it there is power to the plug to determine if it's the motor, the switch or the relay. Hopefully the motor since that is not that bad to replace and only about $40. My mechanic quoted me over $300 to replace it because he would order the FoMoCo part for $170!! Darn rip off artists!!

Be grateful it wasn't your heater core. That puppy is a MAJOR pain to replace... Dealer gets a thousand bucks to replace a forty dollar part... :wacko:

I've done it twice on a '99, and they earn every nickel. :mellow:

Anyway, I've had good luck with parts pricing from Autohausaz...

With all the POS China knock off parts these dayz-Best to swallow hard and go with Ford parts. it's better than have'n to pay labor to do a second R&R that would will wipe out any save'n from the cheap part.

Ck the bone-yards in your area.

Look on the F-150 forums for help.

OLG

With all the POS China knock off parts these dayz-Best to swallow hard and go with Ford parts. it's better than have'n to pay labor to do a second R&R that would will wipe out any save'n from the cheap part.

Ck the bone-yards in your area.

Look on the F-150 forums for help.

OLG

+1

Once vehicles reach a certain age the manf release permission for other outfits to make parts.

Some try to make a better part, and charge more than the OEM part.

Most, make a cheaper part to less exact tolerances, and charge less.

The other PITA about this is that, in their infinite screw the consumer mind set, they designed the window crank handle such that you need a special freakin' tool to get the dang thing off!!!

Since we are in a bit of a dry spell out here, the window is second behind getting the blower motor running again. Plus, from what I can see on the videos I've found it's a little less involved getting the motor out and back in. We don't have carpet, just the rubber floor liner so the motor is a little more accessible.

I've emailed a couple salvage yards, but I think the manual window is pretty darn rare. We'll see.

I have an F-250 with 6.0 diesel. Bought it in March. In April, the radiator split along the top where all the plastic is and my turbo quit working. Spent almost $2,000 to get it fixed. Today I was driving back from Memphis and the transmission temperature spiked. Let it cool and made it about 30 miles and pegged out again. Sigh....

For a long time now your American made vehicles are assembled with components from around the world. So buying a "Ford" doesn't mean you're getting an American made Ford part.

I had to replace my turbo boot. Clamps from Ford were $25 each. I went to Summit Racing and got a better clamp for $8 each.

Ike

For a long time now your American made vehicles are assembled with components from around the world. So buying a "Ford" doesn't mean you're getting an American made Ford part.

I had to replace my turbo boot. Clamps from Ford were $25 each. I went to Summit Racing and got a better clamp for $8 each.

Ike

Unions at their best- :D:D

OLG

Okay, now I know. My pickup is EVIL and is just laughing at me. :blink::blink: After much colorful language and gnashing of teeth i got the blower out. I checked the plug and was getting power there so it had to be the motor, right? :huh:
Well, just for s & giggles I hooked my 12vDC power supply to the fan motor and low and behold it runs!! WTfudge?
So I plug it back into the truck and shore 'nuff all 4 speeds work just fine!! :angry:

A bit more colorful language and now I have to decide whether to fuss the old one back in or not. I thought maybe something had jammed it, but that would've popped a fuse, and since I haven't replaced any, pretty sure it didn't heal itself. :wacko:

What to do, what to do? :ph34r:

Well, contacts cleaned n lubed and its back in, so far so good. Of course for now I will wonder every time I get in if its gonna run. Then about the time I forgot to wonder, poof, it'll quit again! Next up, the window!

Consumers vote with their wallet. Low/lower/lowest price wins.

Manufactures know this and will install cheaper (lower life span) when they can. Presume they know just about how long the china part will last and if a certain percentage makes it to end of warrenty period, then it is a good decision. For the parts that prematurely fail, then there is a cost for manuf. to fix it.

So, how many people keep their car to end of warrenty period?

Archived