SASS Wire Forum

Uberti '58 Remmie Conversion cylinder question

Jackson Haller

Howdy!

I see the R&D conversion cylinder for Uberti '58 Remmies made by Taylor's is rated for smokeless CAS ammo in 45 colt going <850 fps. I've shot 45 colt BP rounds out of one but never smokeless.

Anyone here tried smokeless 45 CAS loads in one? If so, how has the Remmie held up? Any problems noted?

Thanks!

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, November 9, 2014 - Loading data
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, November 9, 2014 - Loading data

I have fired a .45 conversion "1858" pistol that was loaded with 180 grain slugs over a low charge of W-231. It was quire reasonable.

That same gun was quite a handful when loaded with "service loads", 250s over a near-max charge of W-231.I suspect that this would be a 'non-cowboy' load, and not recommended by the conversion makers.

I suggest only light loads with light bullets.

Howdy

You absolutely do not want to put ""service loads", 250s over a near-max charge of W-231" or anything like that through a BP revolver with a conversion cylinder. Stick to cowboy loads that are published in most of the loading manuals.

I have a Pietta '58 Remmie with a Taylor's conversion cylinder in .45 colt. I use a 200 grain bullet over 5 grains of Trail Boss. It shoots great and is very accurate. Have fun with your shooter.

Howdy!

I don't understand; I'm not asking for loading data. I want to know how the gun and cylinder hold up with smokeless Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) rounds loaded at or below the level the manufacturer recommends (which I quoted above). I want to know the experiences of CAS shooters who have done this. (Anything other than that has been and will be ignored by me.)

Sacramento:

A pard of mine has shot nothing but smokeless in his week after week in his Remmies with R&D conversion cylinders.

They've held up very well.

Some of the R&D firing pins have needed replacing over the years, but they are easily replaced.

--Dawg

Archived