SASS Wire Forum

Question about A.C.E.S.

Badlands Bob #61228

Matthew

Ya pretty much got it.........

Don't know about the hardware on the hub......... but go here for more details

acesscoring.com

and tech questions here,, support@acesscoring.com

2 Smart phones and a WiFi & air printer..........u r ready to go........works with android devices also..........lots of folks using it..........some of them are doing stuff we have not tried yet........it's great..........

Oh - and the APP download is free........ :D

have fun..........Wolf

Thank you Sir.

To answer at least one question.

Internet access is not required at the range.

If more than one hand held being used, you need a wireless network.

You can use just about any wireless router. Normal home routers have only about a 300 foor diameter

You do not necessarly need connectivity out on the range.

You can come back to a closer location and do your sync. However, by having access out on the range, you can sync between or during stages.

By doing this, you are in effect backing up the other possie information. So if they have a problem, you have their information

There are routers available that only need 12 volt or 5 volt power supplies. You could in effect run these off a battery

If you are going to purchase a router anyways, and have 110 electic somewhere close, I suggest the following.

Note: setup takes just a little bit more knowledge than usual

These can do a 1600 foot diameter outdoors.

B/G http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=48018

or

G/N http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=48019&core_cross=SEARCH_DETAIL_SIMILAR

Overall I think it's a good program but there are a couple of things I don't like.

You can’t assign/change the abbreviations for the categories. The program assigns them. When I added the Cattle Baron category it shows up as CB on the score sheet, the same as cowboy.

It would also be nice to be able to assign a shooter number and be able to sort the posse based on that. We don't always shoot in alphabetical order and it would be nice to have the shooting order on the tablet.

Would also like to be able to export to an Excel file.

Abbreviations for categories is in there now. Choose "Edit Categories" at bottom of Edit Shooters screen, then hit the Edit button and change away.

Shooting order... So your club has a shooting order? I've never encountered that. Usually we hit the loading table when ready and go, so alphabetic helps find shooters when they arrive in any order.

So would you want a shooting #, or just the ability to order the shooters and keep it that way?

Export to Excel... The roundup and SASS premiere exports be used in Excel (CSV format).

> Errors:

> When we finished scoring, we found we had one data entry error in the SASS program (due to fat fingering the keyboard via the traditional scoring from paper), and one data entry error on each of the ACES devices (one from each posse).
> How did we figure that out? Well we compared the final match results total time from the ACES program and the SASS program and when there was a discrepancy on a shooter's total time, we looked it up on the paper scores.
> So this is why we will keep the paper log going. The shooters will sign off on that. It is also the back up in case there is a technical failure (which is possible).
> I've been in IT for over 25 yrs and work in IT security (dealing with risk management as part of the job, which includes business continuity and disaster recovery). So that's just my mindset; technical problems will happen (including data entry errors), so you have to compensate.

The most error free process I've seen is entering on the tablet, copying to paper, shooter verifies both. It takes no time, just a bit of organization.

We just did a 450 person match using this process, we had 2 transcription errors and 1 data entry error of 5850 scores.

> Question 1 (Device Cost):
> Now we are looking to purchase devices that will be used exclusively for the ACES program. So the device can have low GB storage, but will need a battery life which will last all day.
> Thus far, my research has indicated that the Nook HD 8 GB is the cheapest at $169 (10.5 hr battery life), the Samsung Galaxy 2 (16 GB) runs about $179, the Nexus 7 is $189, the Kindle Fire runs about $199.
> The iPad mini is too pricey for our purpose (with ACES being the only use for the device). If anyone has better suggestions here, please sound off. Remember, the devices will just be used for the ACES program.

I use iPad minis. They just work better. Cheap insurance. But if funds are tighter, then Android has gotten a lot better with the new programmer working on the Android version. It's quality is rising to match that of the iOS version. I prefer devices with hardware buttons (not virtual screen buttons). I'm seeing Galaxy's at $149 online.

> When scoring in the ACES program, it is very easy to select the wrong stage to score. If each screen for scoring had the Stage #, then the scorekeeper could verify the stage without backing out. Example steps: Select the stage; when the posse selection is shown (indicate the stage # at the top of the screen); when the shooter selection is shown (indicate the stage # at the top of the screen); when entering the shooter's score (indicate the stage # at the top of the screen).

Yes - we need to change this. It shall be so in next release.

Pitt

Wolf...I looked at the app again and saw the stage # right where you said it was (top left hand corner). If it were a snake, it would have bit me. I'll make sure those entering scores know to where to check the stage number on the shooters screen. I know it's there now though...thanks for the response.

It looks like we are going to go with the Nexus 7. I'll be sure to send the step-by-step instructions out to ya'.

Thank you...

I agree. I've just looked at it again. I put a top of the list request in to the engineers to show the stage big & bold once you enter the List of Posses, Posse List and Score entry pages.

Abbreviations for categories is in there now. Choose "Edit Categories" at bottom of Edit Shooters screen, then hit the Edit button and change away.

Shooting order... So your club has a shooting order? I've never encountered that. Usually we hit the loading table when ready and go, so alphabetic helps find shooters when they arrive in any order.

So would you want a shooting #, or just the ability to order the shooters and keep it that way?

Export to Excel... The roundup and SASS premiere exports be used in Excel (CSV format).

I did the "Edit Categories" and it changes it there but the changes don't show up on the score sheets. They still reflect the original abbreviations

Just having a way to put the shooters in an order and keep it that way. I just figured assigning a shooter number to them would be the easiest way to do that. Almost every club I have shot with here on the east coast uses a shooting order including the NE Regional

Marshal

I went in and created a new match with new catagories...."Old Man" and "Addled".......... results came out with .... "OM" & "A"........

You are using a name that has the same first intials.........for both "CB" ( Cow Boy & Cattle Baron) so suggest you try another set of Initials.......... I used "C A T B" and it came out in results fine..........

Sometimes it is just a matter of understanding how the APP works which will help you get the results you need.......hope this helps.........

and remember there was no way we could program this APP for every instance / nuance a person may come across......especially with so many clubs doing it so many different ways.......

so you questions and suggestions are what really helps us make it even more user freindly for you............

thanks...........Regards.....Wolf

Marshal

I went in and created a new match with new catagories...."Old Man" and "Addled".......... results came out with .... "OM" & "A"........

You are using a name that has the same first intials.........for both "CB" ( Cow Boy & Cattle Baron) so suggest you try another set of Initials.......... I used "C A T B" and it came out in results fine..........

Sometimes it is just a matter of understanding how the APP works which will help you get the results you need.......hope this helps.........

and remember there was no way we could program this APP for every instance / nuance a person may come across......especially with so many clubs doing it so many different ways.......

so you questions and suggestions are what really helps us make it even more user freindly for you............

thanks...........Regards.....Wolf

It was because of the confusion between Cowboy and Cattle Barron that around here most clubs use Range Boss for the most distinguished among us.

I did the "Edit Categories" and it changes it there but the changes don't show up on the score sheets. They still reflect the original abbreviations

Just having a way to put the shooters in an order and keep it that way. I just figured assigning a shooter number to them would be the easiest way to do that. Almost every club I have shot with here on the east coast uses a shooting order including the NE Regional

Thanks Missouri Marshal - we found the issue and fixed it. It will be in the next update.

It was because of the confusion between Cowboy and Cattle Barron that around here most clubs use Range Boss for the most distinguished among us.

We us CAT for Cattle Barron at Eldorado Cowboys.

I have used my iPhone5 set on "Hotspot" to sync Kindle HD's with the master Kindle HD.

We use both.

Archived