SASS Wire Forum

Making your own loading blocks for .45 colt

I love making my own loading blocks and have six for a normal monthly match. Now comes making a set for my bride Sunny- but I REALLY want to find a better way for punching the holes. My experience has been this:

1/2" bit is too big.

7/16" bit is too small but I've used a rat-tail file to open them up.

What is the perfect size bit to use and where can I find one?

Thanks.

Dude......

Some how I showed to be signed in as CR. :huh:

Logged out. Logged back in. :mellow:

Twilight Zone............................................. :ph34r:

Hi Guys The same thing just happened to me.

Howdy all, holes for .44 & .45 are 14mm. I've sold a lot of these

to the folks that use single stage press. They hold 50 rounds.

QDG

If you are talking about loading blocks to use at the loading table to load your rifle and pistols from, I have made and sold over 1600 of them to Cowboys all over the world. 31/64 is the proper size drill bit for 45. 44-40. 44spl, 38-40 loading blocks. You can get them at any Home Depot or Lowes.

Two Spurs,

31/64 is indeed the correct drill size. You will find that using a Brad Point drill will do the best job on these blocks. Cleaner and splinter-less holes, if properly done. Best to use a drill press. Harbor Freight has these drill sets, on sale now for $13.49.

RBK

Recently I made up a bunch of loading blocks from 1/2" thick oak with leather toppers. I used a 1/2" forstner bit (pilot-drilled first, then used the 1/2" from both sides to eliminate chipping) & cleaned the holes up with a 0.500" reamer. They work great, the cases drop in & out easily, but the rim catches so they don't fall through. I tried some 38-40 & 44-40 brass that I had & both fit fine.

Holler

Well, shut my mouth....Missouri Marshal is right, I should have

said 13mm not 14mm, but 31/64 is correct..

Happy trails

QDG

If you are talking about loading blocks to use at the loading table to load your rifle and pistols from, I have made and sold over 1600 of them to Cowboys all over the world. 31/64 is the proper size drill bit for 45. 44-40. 44spl, 38-40 loading blocks. You can get them at any Home Depot or Lowes.

Hey Marshall,

While you're giving instruction, what's the proper size for .38 spec. :)

Archived