SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Screwdriver Sets

Bama Red

I've been looking for some "gun-specific" screwdriver sets without much luck. In particular, I want a set for my Ruger OMV's and a set for my Uberti '73. found the Ruger set at Brownell's

but no joy when it comes to a set for the '73.

Any ideas out there?

I've been looking for some "gun-specific" screwdriver sets without much luck. In particular, I want a set for my Ruger OMV's and a set for my Uberti '73. found the Ruger set at Brownell's

but no joy when it comes to a set for the '73.

Any ideas out there?

Yes Bama Red,

As you must know, there is almost consensus that Brownells Magna-Tip drivers are the way to go, but if you don't want to either buy the $100+ set or simply do not wish to carry the whole set around at the range, there are lists of gun-specific drivers. I put together a small set of gun specific drivers and they all (including a little magnetic handle I made) fit in one of those Altoid breath mint tins with the hinged lid.

I believe I got my lists from the Brownells catalog somewhere along the way, but I don't recall for sure. Please remember these numbers are the Brownells bit numbers. Anyway, here's what I have

Ruger Single Action (I think this is for the old model, but I don't shoot ruger, so I don't know)

150-4

180-3

180-4

210-4

Uberti Win73

180-4

210-3

240-3

240-4

340-4

340-6 (butt plate)

Note the duplication.

Note: there is a specialty device that someone mentioned on here not too long ago specifically for the magazine plug tube tube plug. It fills the entire length of the mag plug slot and makes more sense to use than a driver bit. Someone will be along soon with their own version of the above and will probably send you to the web site for the mag tube plug remover device. (I found it, see below).

I hope you find this is useful (and accurate), To be sure, look carefully in the Brownells catalog pages and see if you can find this information. If you can't find it, call Brownells tech support and ask.

EDIT, EDIT EDIT

Okay, here's the 66/73 rifle magazine plug removal tool from Saber River Gunsmithing for sale at UniqueTek.com

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1380

Cat Brules

Brownells Magna-tip is the best and is USA :FlagAm: made, with a forever warranty.

Brownells does seen to be OOS at this time.

Cry once and order the 'pro' set.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-sets/magna-tip-super-sets-trade--prod417.aspx

LG

I was the new product manager and senior buyer at Brownells for 18 years 1984-2002 and the screwdrivers were one of my areas of responsibility The reason the Magna Tip sets were devised was that in trying to make gun specific screwdriver sets my predecessors found that screw slots would vary from production run to production run within the same manufacturer and model. In other words if two 73's from the same manufacturer had the same screw slot dimensions it was purely by accident. Actually this was discovered when trying to make up a set for the Browning A5. The reason was that screw slot specs for width and depth were considered noncritical by the hand tool institute so specs were set so loose that anything that came off the manufacturers machines met the spec. I cannot verify that this is still the case and consistency may well be better today with CNC machines making the screws, I just don't know as it has been 10 years since I was involved with the industry. By the way, unless they have changed sources, the Brownells screwdriver bits are all 100% made in the USA. That cannot be said about most of the others in the industry. I know because after being let go by Brownells I worked developing one of the other big sets.

Bugs

Bugs, many USA made guns have the different screw slots also. :rolleyes:

That is why it's best to buy the 'super-set' and the thin-set from Brownells, so all bases are covered.

LG

That was indeed the idea.

I carry the boxed set with me to matches. It's size is not that big and doesn't take much room. Never know what is going to go wrong, or when, or which gun...

The Brownells Magna-Tip as y'all know may be purchased with a hollow handle with screw top. I carry one with the 73 bits and one with the USFA tips. I've used the Unique Tec 73 wrench for about a year and it works great.

Archived