SASS Wire Forum

Church services at matches

Singin' Sue 71615

I recieved a phone call from Cap Stevens, who years ago, donated a pump organ for the CMC at Founders Ranch. He retrieved it, and fixed it, and let me know it is ready to be delivered.

I was invited over to try it out!! (Haven't played a pump organ, or any organ for that matter for the better of 30 years)

This got me to thinkin'....If you are planning to be on Founders Ranch for one of the major shoots this year, and are the sort to join in Church services....and you play an instrument,( like an old pump organ) or sing....get ahold of Sgt. Shuster. One way to reach him is on FB @ Kona Coffee Fiends

We would love to get folks together to join in the music worship . We tend to follow the old hymns, with a special thrown in from time to time.

No real need to practice together, but to get you the songs before hand, and to know who's joining in.

Hope to see some folks singin' in the Chapel!!!

Singin' Sue

At many of the horse events that I participate in that begin on a Sunday morning have a Cowboy Church Service. Its all good....

As the son of a retired United Methodist minister, I've been called on to lead Cowboy Church at a lot of mounted events in Ohio as well as Guns of August the past couple years. One thing I like to do is give folks a taste of what a service with an old circuit riding preacher was like-I borrow an original 1800s Methodist hymn book from Dad, announce "I know most of y'all can't read, so I'll sing a line then you sing it back to me," and go through a couple verses with that call and response. It's a lot of fun!

I'll be out for End of Trail this year, so I'll have to get a hold of Sgt. Shuster and see if I can't join the choir!

As the son of a retired United Methodist minister, I've been called on to lead Cowboy Church at a lot of mounted events in Ohio as well as Guns of August the past couple years. One thing I like to do is give folks a taste of what a service with an old circuit riding preacher was like-I borrow an original 1800s Methodist hymn book from Dad, announce "I know most of y'all can't read, so I'll sing a line then you sing it back to me," and go through a couple verses with that call and response. It's a lot of fun!

I'll be out for End of Trail this year, so I'll have to get a hold of Sgt. Shuster and see if I can't join the choir!

Stoneburner, that would be great!!! I think folks would enjoy a Cowboy leadin' the hymns!!! ( your horse doesn't happen to play the pump organ?) :)

Stoneburner, that would be great!!! I think folks would enjoy a Cowboy leadin' the hymns!!! ( your horse doesn't happen to play the pump organ?) :)

I understand there's a blacksmith named Emmett Brown in the town of Hill Valley who could probably rig a contraption that would enable the horse to do the pumping leaving a human to play the keys.

Might be period incorrect, but when I have the opportunity to do "cowboy church" I use a CD "Gene Autry Cowboy Hymns & Songs of Inspiration" to help with the music. I'm not muscly inclined to lead in a good way. You can use as a sing along help. This really helps and I play before the service as the songs really help to add to the atmosphere and fun. How exciting it is to add this to our sport and many folks enjoy and participate. God bless!!

Oops, the CD is available on Amazon and I've had people like it so much that they wanted one for themselves. It is really fun and you can't beat Gene Autry. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gene%20autry%20cowboy%20hymns

Thanks Preacherman! We too use CD...but we are also blessed to have some musically talented folks in our area! :) We would love to see this put to use. The new Chapel is fantastic, and will be so much more when funds continue to come in for phase 2: completion of the inside!!!

We have pews that have been donated, we have 150 hymnals that have been donated, we have bells that have been donated, a set of 1800's door handles, and the 1850 pump organ!!!!

This past EOT, we had such beautiful Gospel singin' , and it just resinated in the rafters!!!

I really can't stress that anyone...ANYONE who wants to particiate in singin', playin' and particiapating in the services should come on! Contact Sgt Shuster ( as he handles services on Founders Ranch) and we can know your in!!! :)

WOW!!!!!!! How exciting this is! I wish I could be there as it looks like the Lord is indeed blessing the work and awaits the praise of His people. Keep us all informed as to the progress and services. Take care,

I reckon if I ever make it down that way I'm game to 'make a joyful noise'

I only sing in the shower and in church. In the shower no one can hear me, and at church most folks are too polite to get up and walk out. There was this one time I was doing a solo at a funeral and I started to wonder about the dearly departed though.... :D

Grizz, I will gleefully stand by your side and sing praises!!! You are awesome to have posted this beautiful organ. I hope to get a small article to add the previous one about the organ. I learned what Paul Harvey said is the "rest of the story" !

I do not want to speak out of turn, and it is not at all 100% set in stone.....but

I do believe we will be dedicating the Chapel this year at EOT! Although we still need the rest of the funds for completion, and funds to finish off the inside....we are excited to have this dedication.

( There are still many auction items as well as Coyote Cap's sideXside raffel....go to the SASS page and check 'em out!)

See ya in the Chapel!

I find that most Matches up here have Cowboy Church to start Sunday off , and offten there are Folks play their insturments and Worshiping GOD .....

But the singing and Playing arn't just limited to Sunday Morning ...

My family and I are spenting the first two weeks of May Singing our way throught Saskatchewan and Alberta traveling from Church to Church .....

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks again Grizz!!! Had Capn' Baylor post this and a larger view on my FB page (since I can't)! New member to the BRR, Doc Rankin and I were out finishing up what Shanley and I had started. We would have kept going, but the wind picked up!

Soon it will be ready for its finishing coat, and be shining on the hillside for EOT! :)

Archived