SASS Wire Forum

Free Grazers

Whiskey Business

I headed west with the ponies following along behind me, I wasn't sure how far I could make it before stopping to rest. I must have fallen asleep on my pony as I was awakened by steers bellowing around me and The Fair One's other shadow, Buick she called him, slowly riding up beside me. I don't know who laughed at the other one harder, the two of us were surely quite a sight. Buick, with his busted arm in a sling, the other arm bracing against the horn on his saddle to soften his ride to try to protect his broken ribs. Me? I could hardly stay on my pony's back. As Buick came up along side and we were done laughing at each other he told me the cattle were for Little Raven. That set my mind at ease knowing that the promise to Little Raven was being kept.

"Well Buick" I started, "I figure that the Fair One will stop for a spell at Little Raven's village, I don't imagine that he will be to keen on letting her ride out alone. We may be able to catch up to her there, if he manages to keep her entertained for a spell." The sun was setting and we decided it would be best to make camp before we both fell off our ponies. I think it would have been a very interesting time, but I think we were both asleep before we were completely on the ground.

My pony nuzzeling me at sunrise awaken me, it was if he knew we had time to make up. I reached over and shook Buick, he grunted and said something like, hit me again, so I did. That time he sat straight up, I don't think he had any idea where he was, or at the point who he was. I reached him some hardtack and we both sat there chewing on that for a few minutes. "I din't think I liked Gloria's cooking, sure was better than this though" Buick laughed.

Buick saddled his pony, as I rounded up the ponies. I swung up on mine, spotted what looked like the boss steer and started pushing him westward. The other cattle just followed along perfectly content. Buick nodded as he swung his horse around to bring up the rear. He'd be alright in the saddle as long as we were able to just plod along with the cattle. If we needed to run at all I knew he would be in deep trouble.

The sun was high in the sky when we came across a watering hole, a welcomed sight. The cattle and ponies waded in slurping up water as they went. Buick and I both slid off of our mounts and knelt down at the water's edge slashing ourselves silly with the cool water. "We may have another full day's ride before we get to the village Buick, you gonna be able to make it" I said to Buick. He winced as he stood and replied, "don't reckon I got much choice do I?"

We mounted back up and started pushing the cattle again, it wouldn't be any easier to sit around, we still had a lot of ground to cover.

Just before evening the next day we came across the creek bed that would lead us to the village, and just a before He Who Know No Fear greeted me there. "Hosa was sure that you would be following the Fair One here, but we thought you would be here sooner." As he surveyed the cattle he went on, "now I see what made you so slow." As he saw Buick he nearly fell off of his pony laughing... "Hosa's heart will be cheerful to see you, he has had a struggle to keep the White Deer in the village" he said as he lead us into the village..

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I heard the cows at the edge of the village, I knew right away why Little Raven had been so insistent that I stay, either He Who Walks Two Paths or Buick (or both) were here….for all I knew Little Raven had sent for one or both of them. It figures, I should have known better than to trust him! In fact, I been trustin’ way too many people lately, and it’d done nothin’ but bite me in the butt, and pa had taught me way better than that. That was one thing that was definitely gonna change, and fast! I was gonna go back to trusting only me, myself, and I if it was the last thing I did…

There was one advantage to them showing up with all those cows….the sound of all that beef on the hoof got the attention of everyone in the village, and for the first time in two days I was left alone. As much as I valued the Arapahoes friendship, I wasn’t gonna let any man try and change my mind, I was heading west alone, and that was final. While everyone was distracted, I was able to grab my pony, and lead him down into a gully on the other side of the village. I could ride through that far enough to come out on the other side of some trees, and be hidden from view long enough to get to the river. If I could follow the river far enough to find a place where it would be harder to track me, I should be ok. I had to leave the saddle behind, no time to look for it, but I knew that none of the braves in the village were in any shape to be chasing after me, and neither was Buick. If He Who Walks Two Paths was there, well, hopefully he would go through the usual custom of exchanging greetings with the chief, and give me plenty of time to be far away before anyone realized it.

I walked my pony through the gully as quietly as I could, then as soon as we were behind the trees I mounted up and took off for the river. I rode in the river upstream for a couple of miles, until I found some rocky ground that I knew would be tough to track us on. I was so intent on making sure I was going as fast as I could while still leaving as little trace as possible, that I didn’t pay as much attention to my surrondings as I should have…

I don’t know how long that bunch of Kansa braves had been watching me before I noticed them, but as soon as I did and moved to head my pony away from them, the chase was on. My pony was fast, but their ponies were too, and mine was tired. I was outnumbered, so there was no sense in stopping to try and fight them, I just wasn’t that good and there were too many of them. My only chance was to outrun them until they gave up, but then my pony stumbled, not enough to stop him but enough to slow him down. It was only a few seconds until I felt something slam into me from behind, hard enough to knock me off my pony. I will give him credit though, he slowed down, turned around, and came back to me, as if to protect me the best he could…

I tried to get back on my pony, but for some reason I couldn’t move….I opened my eyes, and to my surprise it wasn’t my pony that I saw, but my pa, and behind him were my two sisters…..

“Don’t be scared, Mary Elizabeth…everything is alright, you’re going home now,” Pa whispered…..

As we walked thru the village to the tipi of Hosa my eyes searched for the Fair One. As Hosa greeted me the only thing I could say was, "where is she? Where is the Fair One?"

Hosa pointed to his pony telling me, "Take my pony, he runs like the wind. Go my son, find her, keep her safe." And with that I was gone, I leapt on the pony and urged him toward the river. Just before the water I turned him and ran along the river, after a short while I saw the Fair One and her pony running hard in front of 5 Kansa braves. My heart sunk but the fire in my spirit erupted like the fire from the fire breathing beast. The water splashed everywhere as the pony flew through the river.

As we hit the other side I readied my bow, if I could catch them and take each one from the rear I might be able to fulfill my oath of keeping the Fair One safe. I saw the closest brave turn to see who was coming up behind him. The bow found his back,,,,,on to the next,,,and the next, and the next, they were gaining on the Fair One, took out the next one,,,,I could see the last brave readying his war club to strike the Fair One, he managed to strike her just before the arrow found it's way to it's target...... as she went down I slid my pony to a stop and slid off his back running to the Fair One as I hit the ground,,I feel to my knees and swept her up into my arms,,,,she was limp,,,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I screamed,,,,,I shook her to try to find some sign of life,,,,NOOOO,I cried again,,,,come back,,, I cried unto the Great Spirit, she has so much more to give,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nooooooo, please please noooo

The autumn pony's cold nose against the side of my face brought me back into the moment. The Fair One's eyes were closed as I looked into her peaceful face, as I dried my tears from her face with a handful of the long glimmering hair I could see movement of her eyes beneath her eyelids. I knew though that movement like that could be false hope, as I had seen enough things die.

As I was drying her face I could hear ponies nearing us, I didn't bother to look up as I really didn't care at that point. I had failed in my oath to protect the Fair One, and now she may have paid the price. He Who Knows No Fear laid his hand upon my shoulder and told me that we must hurry to get her back to the village. Other braves had come too and after I leapt upon the autumn pony they lifted her up into my arms. The pony sensed the urgency and gently broke into a long smooth stride. As we glided back to the village I pleaded aloud with the Great Spirit to not take her, who would care for Buick, with the love I'd seen in her eyes for him this couldn't end so cruelly..

Once at the village a crowd of the women had gathered and had prepared a tipi for the Fair One to rest. The medicine man was preparing his things, it seemed like I was watching all this as if I were an eagle soaring high untethered among the clouds. Inside the tipi they were also attending to Buick, he had collapsed with the news of the Fair One's injuries.

I sat at the opening of the tipi and pulled my flute from it's pouch, music from my spirit poured out of the flute as the wind blowing through the trees. Hosa's daughter, Morning Star saw my pain and sat with me, softly uttering sounds that matched my flute. I had been alone for many moons, but as I sat there beside her gently playing my flute and listening to her heart match mine I was begining to feel something I had never felt before....

A hand gently nudged me awake, it was the wife of Hosa gently urging me to come into the tipi where Buick and the Fair One were being cared for. "She not awake, but she moans and moves in her deep sleep" she quietly told me. Come sit beside her, sometimes it sounds that she is calling you." I arose and went in and sat beside her, as I rubbed her forehead she seemed to calm a little.

Morning Star sat beside Buick as he continued to having trouble trying to breathe deeply. She caressed his face to try to soothe him, he tried to speak but words would not come from his lips. Morning Star put her finger to her mouth to quiet him, it worked as he closed his eyes and drifted back off to sleep.

I drew my flute to my lips and as I let my heart speak thru my music a smile came across the Fair One's lips...

I don't know how long I had been asleep when I felt a tug at my arm,,,I opened my eyes to see the eyes of the Fair One slightly open, "I'm sorry" is all she could muster as she feel back into her dreams.

I softly told her of the ponies that were for her and how they and the autumn pony would make a good start for her ranch. I told her the times I first saw her from afar, and of my oath to the Great Spirit to protect her from harm. I recalled to her how I had followed her from the shadows as she made her trip to Texas, how my upraising on my father's ranch at the feet of the great mountains and my mother's Cheyenne lineage led me to be who I was know. I knew she was asleep and she couldn't hear me, but for some reason from deep within it seemed I needed to reafirm who I was to myself...which led me only to question, who was I going to be?

As I sat beside the Fair One intently watching for any sign of improvement I thought of my mother. She had taught me all I knew of the Cheyenne way and had been able to teach me a great respect for the ways of the Cheyenne. Her family had been wiped out by the cholera epidemic of '49 when she was just coming of age, and how my father had rescued her and took her as his wife. She told me about the massacre at Sand Creek in '64 that had changed the way of the Cheyenne in the whole territory.

The Fair One's ranch was located in the same area as Sand Creek, it would be strange to be in the same area, even if it did happen ten years ago when I was a so young.

But all this was but speculation, as I watched the Fair One, I mourned the loss of my mother, yet I was ever hopeful that the Fair One would awaken again...

It had been two moons since the attack on the Fair One, I could see a small improvement each day. She would stay awake longer each time she would awaken and I was seeing life build back up into her eyes. She had started asking for water, as she did I could feel the hope growing in all those around.

My thoughts started to turn more and more to the ranch that the Fair One had left behind. The golden tall grasses, fresh water, plenty of room to roam. The buildings would all need to be rebuilt after the fires that had killed her family. It would be a long and hard trip, one that the Fair One and Buick would have to heal and build up strength before they could attempt to make.

Chief Hosa made us feel that we could stay with his village as long as we wanted, even Buick, who was having a tough time eating their food and communicating with them. The village was having a good time watching Buick struggle with trying to fit in, as much as he could.

I began making plans, I felt the need to visit with my father, and while there go after the mustangs that roamed the foothills of the great mountains.

In my dreams I saw a ranch with tall trees bowing in the breeze and golden grasses being tossed to and fro. Many offspring of the autumn pony racing through the plains, a corral full of mustangs yearning to run, and a fine house and barns gracing the landscape.

It would indeed be a new chapter in the story of our lives, a golden story with a fresh start....a time to begin anew, an oath to keep.....and dreams to come alive....

In the century before my birth there was much blood letting between the French and Chickasaw in Louisiana. However, the French and Choctaw were trading partners and allies against the Chickasaw. Because of the Choctaws, relations between red and white at present were less acrimonious than such in Texas. Think this was part of the reason Hawk decided to join us back home. Still, best he keeps his Apache blood under his hat.

As we rode on in tired silence, I thought of a story my Granny told me. The story of the Petticoat Insurrection. Seems the Canadian settlers around New Orleans needed brides, so the Bishop of Quebec told about two dozen young French women a pack of lies to get them there. Reality didn't match the Bishop's glowing description, seems deprivations were many. Swamps, bugs and food shortages to name a few. And gals didn't know how to cook the local foods and were hankering for proper bread mostly. So in protest they banged spoons against pots in front of the governer's house of Sieur de Bienville. He sent his housekeeper, Madame Langlois, to teach the girls how to prepare and cook local delicacies. And how to make bread, cornbread. The rebellion died off soon after the girl’s bellies were full.

As the sun went down and the air cooled, Bucky and Hawk ended the silence and started talking up a blue streak about gator hunting. Hawk was itching to bag his first one.

"I remember my first gator hunt. I call it a hunt, but it's more a combination of hunting, trapping, and fishing all rolled into one." Bucky told Hawk. "Went with the Guidry brothers. Younger one wasn't right in the head seeing as his momma gave him too much 'colic' medicine as a baby. We needed bait so I took down black birds with my scattergun as we proceeded into the marsh. Every time I shot a bird and it dropped on the bank that boy would giggle like a schoolgirl. The one time I missed a bird, he just a started hooting and screaming like a monkey.

Once you have your bait, put the bird on a healthy sized hook on a rope and wrap the rope round a long cane pole you put in the riverbed, so the bird is hanging 'bout a foot off the water. Tie the other end of the rope to a tree. Then head home and come back in the mornin, to check your lines. When you see the pole in the river, and the rope taught, pull on the rope till the gator is on the river bank a bit then put a bullet in his head. Gotta be careful, gators are more hard headed than my wife! There is this little soft spot top of a gator's skull, just behind the eyes and center top. That's where you aim."

Yup, Hawk was more than ready to hunt gators.

"Lookin' forward ta huntin' dim gators ! Tanks to ya Bucky an Whiskey fer hirin' me on like dis. Ya shore y'all aint just doin' dis ?" I asked.

Whiskey answered, "Now Hawk, you are a good man, and a hell of a worker ! If we where to hire you own just out of the goodness of our hearts,..you would know it !" I smiled and went back to drawing on a good cigar and sipping some of their mighty fine bourbon whiskey.

I smiled from ear to ear and said, "I've been told dat gator tail meat is white and tastes like somethin' called, mudpuppies ? What the heck are dim ?"

Bucky spoke up, "Now Hawk, When we get to our town, you're gonna have to keep you're closed........don't want folks knowing you're a breed. Just not safe to be a Injun now.....just like being a Confederate ! Here......." Bucky said, and handed me my wages. "You're job with us starts now. I've never seen a man handle cattle or horses like you, Hawk. "

"That's right !" Whiskey said. "And we need you to run our spread. We know the land, you know the animals.....Now, we just need you to keep quite and go where we go. Sides, most folks speak French and you don't speak French, right ?" I shook my head.

She said something in French and I just shook my head as I did not understand this strange language I was hearing. For the first time, in many a moon, I was the stranger in a strange place. One thing's for sure, I'll knock out a rowdy horse cause there's this same soft spot, like a small lump. just behind the right ear. I really look forward to putting a bullet in a big one's skull !

We where all setting by the camp fire, getting ate up from skeeter bites. I kept seeing these bugs flying with fire in their bodies. And they knew how to turn it off and on ! And the song of this bird, I never saw it, but the song it was singing seemed so sad and it made me sad. The grass here was full and much of it and the horses had eaten their fill to bursting. That's when Toby, Jim, Roy and Sam talked around the fire.

Jim, being the youngest of this group sighed and said out loud as if he was thinking this. " Wished I was back home !"

We all looked at him, then looked down at the grass we lay on and sighed. We all knew what each was thinking, then Roy spoke up next. "Boys" he said....."When we git these horses down to their place, spect I'll draw my wages and ride for home. This country here just aint for me !" Roy was the oldest, next to me...had ridden in the war and had seen some harsh country. He was like me, a seasoned man, tan and skin just as rough as could be. It wasn't like him to complain.

"Well......Recon I'll go with ya Roy !" Jim said. "This damn air is so think you can almost drink it !" Jim was the one who rarely spoke and when he did speak, you payed attention to his words. Dark, short hair, dark skinned, almost looked like a mexican. And a damn good tracker as well.

I looked at them, then asked, " What about the rest for you fellers ? What's on yur minds ?

Toby and Sam, who signed on in Dodge City to help push the horses back, sat up and Toby spoke. "Boss, we ride for the brand and that brand is you ! Where ever you go, we're right by you're side."

"Yup...We'll back you're play what ever it is Boss !" said Sam.

Gloria came over, sitting down beside me, drawing in the dirt and grass...."Señor ...I go with you.......you treat me well....eat my food, and that make Gloria happy ! I go !"

I nodded my head....."Alrat fellers, I'll tell'em come daylight ! Now...best git some shut eye !"

I awoke next day just as the sun was coming over the trees in the east. Gloria smiled real big when I got up and walked over to her, tin cup in hand. First time I seen her smile since Calico left with Jesse, Pete and that dandy. Jesse and Pete where fair at punching cattle, but that dandy was on the mend from a beating he took. Didn't get the change to see if he was any good or not.

"COME GET IT.......VERY HOT !" Gloria shouted. That was an amazing women. She had stirred the fire and got it going... put the coffee on to cook....she had two large frying pan on the grill over the fire, one had thick cut bacon, the other held a mess of quail eggs. And there was a dutch oven going with biscuits baking. And she even had time to point the chuck wagon tongue westward ! I didn't need it, just follow the sun, but that felt good to.

Buick stirred first. He had been hugging on Whiskey all night. The cool morning air wasn't think yet, so he had to put his shirt on as he came over to us and poured some coffee. "Damn good, Gloria !" Bucky said and Whiskey came over, taking his cup with a smile on her face. Any one with eyes could see that this place suited them, yet there was this strange feeling coming from them. And then, as we ate that fine meal, Bucky spoke up....

"Guys, I've been doing some thinking most of the night and discussed it over with Whiskey and we went to head back to our ranch in Texas. There's not much left her but memories and we had enough of them ! So, Hawk, please take us home.....You guys can come along if you want to.....I'll pay you the same wage as if you where still driving those cows ! What say you ?" Bucky seemed relived to have said that. It seemed to me that this statement had been weighing heavily on his mind and heart. Whiskey nodded and she said....."Been away from the ranch in Texas for a long time now. Need cleaning, building mending and maybe a scatter or two throw out, who knows what shapes it's in. But like my husband asked y'all ,....you want to ride along and continue to work for us ?"

Much to my surprise Sam spoke up. With hat in hand he said...."Ma'am you and Bucky's been mighty kind to us ! And we was gonna tell y'all the same thing after we ate ! I thin I can speak for the boys here, we would be mighty proud to ride for y'all !" And Hawk, just sipped his coffee, and nodded his approval. And just like that, we had become family !

After breakfast, we broke camp and started heading west. Always west. Home was the west ! And after a few months on the westward trail, I saw the Indictor Plant. It grows where the dry land meets the simi dry land. And it was in full bloom too ! We had just got there after the summer rains ! Every thing was in full bloom, and it was the time of plenty. Whiskey and Buck, who this time, drove the herd of horses a long with us, had never saw the desert like this.

We made camp just a little early and Jim, know knew this land as well as me, went out for a hunt for supper. In the mean time, I put my apron on and helped Gloria out with the cooking. She got the coffee cooking. No one could make coffee and fried grasshoppers like her. But yet my rifle was close. While Jim went hunting, we fixed supper. I cooked up a big ole pot of Negros Frijoles, fried some Noplales while Gloria picked, cleaned and cooked Tuna, lightly fired in melted better for desert. Jim came back with a couple of jacks and some rattlers, which Gloria took them and smiled saying....."We eat good, yes !" I just had to laugh !

We didn't have to ride nighthawk. Didn't have to watch for bears or coyotes or even a stampede. We could just be our selfs. No matter how loud we got, the horses didn't mind at all. We all seemed to be relaxed, but that wasn't to last long ! As we neared the ranch house, I smelled wood smoke coming from the house long before I saw it. Sure enough, as we neared the house Whiskey said, "SQUATTERS !" and drew her carbine. I put my arm out to stop her and Bucky spurred his horse. I moved to block him with my horse !

"Let's not git to damn hasty here ! We'll all ride down der...surround 'em like and I'll to talk'em out. See who dey are ." I said.

Whiskey frowned hard asking, "And what if they would not come out Hawk ? !" and she sounded mad. She had become a completely different women since the sweat lodge...don't know if I liked that or not !

Levering a round into his clamber, Bucky said, "Then we escort them out !" to which Whiskey smiled.

Looking at the ranch house I could see the roof was too pitched and the clay tiles didn't make for quiet easy walking, so getting to the chimney was out. Guess I'd have to fall back on my old standard. "I'll walk up the creek there that runs by the front .....ask 'em out nicely ....Whiskey shoot anything that comes out that back door !" and started up the creek. I got to a certain point where I was sure they could not see me, the moon had just set and it was starting to cloudy up some. We every one nodded or waved that they where in place, I stepped out into view.

The lights went out in the ranch house, as they should. I was making enough splashing noise to wake the dead.....just about even with the front door, I shouted out, "Who's in der ?"

"Aint none of yur business ...keep riding !" came a voice from with in. Didin't sound more than 20. That's when I heard Whiskey squeeze off a round ! I leveled my rifle at the door.....

"US Marshall Hawk....speak up...who's in der !"

"Don't know no Marshall Hawk !" came the answer.

"As ya know, we got da place surrounded ! Ya can't run an live, so throw out yur guns an come on out !" I said.

I saw a pistol part the curtain, Bucky thought it was going to fire, so he fired his 66 into the window,and I heard this "SHIT !" come from with in the house.

"Alrat....ifin' ya don't come out, der's a bucket of coal oil wif us an it's going down da chimney ! Ifin' it do, din we 're shootin to kill all who come through dat door ! Which is it gonna be ?" I said with my rifle leveed at the front door.

"You tell them others not to shoot !" a girl cried out. I was surprised to hear that as was everyone else.

The man's voice again said,...."Marshal,....you got papers on us ?"

And I said, "Don't know...got a few John Doe's." Turning to shout behind me into the night air I shouted, "Break out the coal oil !"

"Ok....OK ! Tell them others to hold their fire......we're coming out !" and the door opened. Not too smart to have a fire raging in that fire place. Lit up all who walked out. I jumped up , with rifle firmly up against my shoulder shouted...."HIT DA DIRT ! BELLY DOWN !" and down they went. I remember how some Yanks and surrendered to us and one had a six shoot belly gun on him. The end result was not good !

"Get der guns Roy !" I said. After he patted them down, Roy looked up saying "Their clean !"

I still had my rifle on them and said...."Keep them hands high.....who are ya an what are ya doin' in dis house ?" I asked them.

"I'm Will...that's Robin....and Ronald......and we own this house !" Will said. I could see Whiskey and Bucky getting furious with them.

I lowered my rifle and said, "No boy,...Ya aint owners of dis house nor anything on dis land ! Des two folks here are the owners cuz we built it up . Sides, the barn's a wreck an da corral is a mess. Sides, a man out here would fight to the death to protect his home. You only raised yur weapons at us in self defense. Who sold you this land ?"

All three was very quiet, then a peacemaker fired into the dirt in front of where they where standing. "Oh, dat's one of the owners ! She aint none to happy rat now. See, we been gone on a cattle drive, pushin' dim cows up north inta Kanas and din back ta Louisiana fer a spell, din back here. Been gone bout a year. Now she's really looking forward to sleepin' in her own bed night an now y'all are squattin in her house...Fair ta say she aint none to happy. So ifin' ya don't find yur tongue her and her husband over here, der bullets will find ya. Storms com in an don't want to dig no graves in da mud ! Now, last time, Who sold ya dis house ?"

"That banker feller in town !" Robin said. She was a right fine looking women and she was smart too, not like her brother and her other brother Ronald, who had wet his drawers now.

"Ok....y'all git back in da house an we'll talk bout it some more. Toby, help Gloria unhitch the team and Roy and Jim, the horses unsaddled an feed. All y'all grab a big arm load of wood and come inta da house when yur done." I said.

Whiskey fumed and said, "Are you crazy Hawk ? I will not have them sleeping another night under my roof !"

That got under my skin and I replied "Excuse me Bucky.....But Gal....I aint turnin' one body out in dis cold rain ! How ya gotten da sweat lodge an da teachins der ? I aint !"

It was still raining a slow soaking rain, but I knew the spring floods was not far behind in the mountains. That water, being cold, will start as a trickle, but as they rush down the mountainside they pick up debris and speed till it becomes a rushing torrent that only two feet of it will knock a full grown man off his feet. That's what I heard rushing down the creek outside this night. I was not turning any man or women out in it !

"Feller me folks !" I said and took them into the kitchen and tossed three blankets down on the floor. "Y'all kin sleep here fer da night. Decide what ta do wif ya in the mornin'. Mind dat fire....tosses out sparks ever now agin." I went over to the cabinet and smiled when I opened them and saw there was still coffee cups there. I took three and walked back to where Whiskey and Bucky where having a heated talk about something. I walked in and handed them a cup each and picked up a bottle of homemade whiskey and poured me some.

"Guess y'all wondered what happened back der . Judgin' by how mad ya look Bucky, guess I'd best tell ya what happened back years ago in da sweat lodge." I said, sipping my whiskey.

Whiskey jumped to her feet and shouted "HAWK...NO !" But I was not going to have Whiskey and her Husband fighting like this all the time.

"Well Bucky......" I said. "It's a long story but Whiskey here almost died when she came out of the sweat lodge. She's the first women and Grizz is da first white man ever to make it through without diein' or lossin' der minds. Long drawn out process....won't bore ya with da comins' an goins' of it." I said and sipped on my whiskey some more.

"Why didn't you tell me Whiskey ? I'm you're husband and I deserve to know !" Bucky said. As Whiskey searched for the words I poured more drink in my cup and walked out of the room to let them hash it out for themselves. Wasn't the place for outsiders.

Come sunrise, I smelt the mesquite wood burning away in the kitchen stove and the three youngins' where at the table, eating heartily. I guess it had been a while since they ate a hot meal, and Gloria was all smiles. Guess she was used to cooking for a family. I knew she had one, haven't really asked about them since she was hired.

"Y'all look mite young ta be out in da desert all alone. How old are y'all any how ?" I asked as I pulled out a chair from the table along with Toby, Jim, Roy and Sam.

Will spoke up.."I'm 20, Robin is 17...she think's she's a full grown women but she aint !" to which Robin threw him an elbow. "Roland is 13."

I poured some coffee in my cup and asked, "Any of ya pups know how to ride ?" To which they all nodded. "All rat....any of y'all know how to shoot ?" Again all three raised there hands. "Alrat, I'll give ya a chance to prove it. Now eat up !"

After we ate we all went out to the bad corral as there where two on the place. And I handed them the weapons, all but the 13 year old. The Dragoons I carried went to one each. I showed them how to load, Robin had a tuff time opening the loading gate. Will fired all six shots....hit 2. Robin hit all six. I was impressed. Then I handed them my 1860 I took off a dead yank I killed in the war, Will needed no instruction as he loaded it up and hit ten of ten ! Robin needed instruction and let the rounds slide home which could have caused the magazine to explode. Plus she missed about half of what she fired. Then we tried my 66 and both loaded them up just fine, Will hitting all he fired at and Robin hitting 8 out of 10. I was impressed indeed !

Cook was cleaning up after breakfast when I walked into the kitchen. I went straight for the pie safe which had six face jugs inside.

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/Whiskey_Business/facejug_zps77627eaf.jpg

I'd bought them when I traveled the Appalachian mountains. Ugly as sin for sure which suited me, most didn't want to even look at them, let alone touch and I didn't want anyone touching them. I pulled out a jug and checked the contents, still there. Then I held this transgression against good taste and crockery in front of my head.

"Hey cook, looky here!"

"Madre de Dios!"

"Now, does this look like any Madre de Dios you ever seen?"

"No, Senora, and neither do you!"

Didn't like the attitude on that gal seeing as I'm the only one around here allowed to have an attitude. I waived the cork in front of her face so that she could get a whiff, then poured a fair amount into my coffee cup.

"Suit yourself, more for me."

"Maybe Senora, just a bit."

Well, she took to it like a baby to a bottle. "You can fry up those grasshoppers all you want, just don't serve em up as a meal. Inadvertently ate a bug or three and I didn't like it." She nodded and sipped her flavored coffee.

I heard the report of a '66, Hawk was still outside teaching the squatter chitlins how to shoot. Rifles and Dragoons, what, no shotguns? I picked up my shotgun and one of Bucky's LeMats and headed out to the corral to join the party. And find out what went on with those squatter chitlins, all we got out of them so far was something about a crooked banker. Had a real good idea who he was.

Saw out the corner of my eye, Whiskey came out to the holding corral, prancing real proud like, caring a shotgun and one of her husband's LeMatt pistols. I had seen a few back in the war, saw them doing their jobs and it was awesome sight to see ! A pistol and shotgun all in one !

Whiskey came up to us and asked why I wasn't teaching them young ones about firing a shotgun, to which I replied that any one could use a scattergun, just aim in the general direction you want to shoot in and pull the trigger. Well, I guess I asked for the dressing down she gave me. And she prove that she could use it too. Will started to walk down range from Whiskey after the last round was fired from the LaMatt ! That was the wrong idea and I griped his arm to stop him just as the LaMatt fired the 20 gauge shell ! Whiskey smiled just like she had eaten a cat, while Will, and Robin's eyes where wide open with shock.

She turned and walked toward Will and asked, "What was this banker man's name, Will ? You three lived in my house, uninvited while I and my husband was away for three years....the least you could do is tell me his name !" Whiskey said as she re loaded the 12 gauge scattergun, and shouted to me......PULL !" Two corn dodgers went up and two blasts shot them all over the ground. Will remained tight lipped but Robin sing out !

"Coldwell ! Mr. Coldwell ! Said we could homestead this place if we made what he called improvements to the place and made payments to him !" Robin was in tears now, and Whiskey, being a women and letting her motherly feelings come out, tried to comfort her and hugged her tight. Me....I wasn't buying what she or Will where selling ! Roland now...he was 13.....still a boy and could be most likely talked into anything to stay with his family. But to live out here.....in this country for as long as they have, Will and Robin where no dumb youngins'.

I heard Gloria ring the supper bell and said to Whiskey......."Done worked up a powerful hunger and just had shootin' fun ! Well Gal....."looking at Robin with a frown on my face and said....."We gonna eat so shoot some more ?!" Tucking my Dragoon into my belt and caring my 66 in my hand walked back toward the main house, shaking my head.

Back in the kitchen, Gloria had whipped up some fry bread, steak, sliced up thin, bell peppers, Jalpino peppers, onions and hot sauce, Nergos Frijoles and Fried Tuna for desert. It may seem like a short meal, but when she only had what the chuck wagon held to work with, I'd say it was pretty good meal. When the meal was finished, Gloria sensing that talk was needed, told Roland to come with her and every well rounded man needed to know the finer points of dish washing !

We all went into the den, dusted off some chairs, built a fire in the fire place with the wood they had already gathered . Bucky got out 5 glasses, pouring some home made likker form Louisiana into them and passed them around. Most times, we'd just drink from the same jug but that ugly thing reminded me of my nightmares after the war ! Will took his and smiled. That told me he had been in Saloons before. Robin took hers....and smelled the amber liquid in it and made a face at he smell. She may not have been in a Saloon at this young age, and never had a taste of the liquids of the gods. "To good healthy !" Bucky said, raising his glass. And we all repeated the toast and drink some. Will did to, will Robin just sipped a very little of the home made whiskey.

I walked over to the mantle and took out the jar of cigars and passed them around also. Every one took one, even Whiskey. Robin calmed she didn't smoke, said it wasn't "lady like" to do so. I replied, "Nether is squttin' Miss ! " and drink all my whiskey down. And Bucky filled my glass again. Then I went to each one, looking them in the eyes. The mouth can and often lies, but the truth is in the eyes. "Y'all may have Bucky and Whiskey fooled, but not me !" I said. "I've been Marshallin' fer more years din I like ta member. An I can spot a lier ever time. One of y'all are liein' to us....no one can shoot that good without practice of some kind. Will....mostly likely, you've been inside a Saloon a time or two. An I'd guess, ya like ta drink an gamble some two.....now dat's my guess. Young lady....figure you knew y'all was doin' wrong when y'all squtted here. Aint seen da inside of a Saloon, I'll wager......don't drink dat much an don't smoke."

I stopped and took a long look toward Whiskey and Bucky and I said, "Come day light, I'm gonna ride inta town.....check dim wanted posters. Bucky, will ya stay here an watch after dis youngins' ? Whiskey spect you will want to have a few words wif Mr Coldwell feller."

She threw her whiskey back and drew hard on her cigar and said, "You damn right I do Hawk ! You damn right !"

I bedded down in the house.......Robin had took over my bed, so I bedrolled out near the fire place. But I made it look like I was in there roll but I wasn't sleeping. I was following Will. I watched him slip out of the house that late night while every one was asleep.

Will was being careful to make sure he was not followed, but he had never met up with a injun, I recon. He went well out of his way to get into town. And wouldn't ya know it, Will went right to the home of Mr. Coldwell ! So, I thought I would see what was going on, and I got an earful ! Will reported how he realized we where there at the ranch to stay. He said, a US Marshal had showed him and his sister how to shoot various weapons. And Coldwell just laughed.

"You fool !" Coldwell said. "Marshal Silver Hawk is retired ! He aint no Marshal at all now ! But he's a mind not to be messed with,....nor that she devil that follows after him. I don't know a thing about that big man she's married to ......yet. I all know of him is Gawd help him !" and some men just out of my line of sight laughed hard. And they laughed at Will too.

Coldwell stood and walked over to the fire place, with a glass of likker in his hand. Sipping on it he said, "Will ....you get you're self a drink then get back to the ranch before sun up. And listen ! Don't do nothing, just laugh for a week, then come back here.......tell me what you've learned. Now here......here's some money, don't spend it all on the whores at the Silver Belle !Now get out of here !"

Will left Coldwell's fancy house and slowly walked to the Saloon. I went down an alley way, and slipped in through the back door. After a quick chat with Bottles I had my whiskey and just sipped it.....and waited. Sure enough, Will came strutting in, big as you please. And the whores sensing fresh meat moved in but to my surprise only one came over and Will and this whore where very glad to see one nother.

"Will's a regular !" I thought as I watched him. I was not hiding, I was out in the open, for him to see me. And after a half hour, that just what Will did. Will had seen me drinking up at the bar. Well....Will dropped his whiskey glass and the whore hit the floor on her butt. Will was out of there like a muzzle flash. But I was in no hurry. He was on foot and I had my horse. Besides, I saw the light on in the Sheriff's office and I needed to check the posters for the kids, especially Will.

I threw my drink back, and boy..it went down smooth ! Not that rot gut stuff Bottles normally serves. I guess Whiskey must have put the bug in his ear that all her friends get the good stuff. I smiled at Bottles and he just nodded with a smile on his face. Then I went out the batwinged doors and headed toward the Sheriff's office. I found the Sheriff hard at work, guarding a prisoner that was waiting for the judge to come in on the next stage.

"Howdy Ron ! I see ya be hard at it !" I said as I stepped in the doorway and took a chair.

Ron just smiled, opened the top drawer of his desk, and retrieved a bottle and two glasses. He filled them both and slide the second one to me. "Here's to you're heath Hawk !" I raised my glass to his and threw the whiskey back. I looked at the glass and smiled. Whiskey and Bucky knew how to butter their biscuits ! This was their whiskey !

"Ron.....need to see yur hand bills. Somebody I need to see ifin' he's in der." I said and Ron looked concerned. "Ifin he's in der, I'll bring him in in da mornin' cuz he's squattin' over at Bucky's and Whiskey's place....the Twin Oaks Ranch." He handed me a few and I looked through them, but Will was not in them.

"Still carry you're lucky wanted poster Hawk ? Damnest thing I ever heard of.......lucky wanted poster. Yup Hawk, there's a few hard cases here in town. New faces I don't know. Can't arrest 'em cause they don't do nothing. Why ? Think you're gonna have a problem with them ?" Ron asked.

I slide the glass back to him to refill it and he did just that, but with a frown on his face. "Maybe. Any of 'em work for Coldwell ?"

"Nope.....don't work for Coldwell" Ron said, "But they sure do be hanging around his place and the Saloon a lot. Why ? You think they are up to no good ?"

"Don't know just yet Ron. I do know Will is in wif 'em. Dat's why I asked !" I stood and shook Ron's hand. "Guess I gave that turn coat time to git back to da ranch, so I'll be heading back now. Hey....." I said, pointing to the man sleeping and snoring in his cell."Ya best watch yur back wif dat hombre......He's a fairly dangerous man !" laughing and waving I swung up into my saddle and rode for the ranch. Sure enough, Will was in his bed roll, pretending to be a sleep. I was on to him and he knew it.

Got back to the Twin Oaks, rode right into the barn. Unsaddled my horse and wiped him down. Picked his hoofs and brushed him, then gave him some hey to chew on. The two mules saw that and I went up to them, patting each one on the muzzle . I pulled a apple out of my pocket and touched the blade of my fighting knife to it and it fill in half. And I gave one each to the two mules. And I sweet talked them for a while. They seemed to enjoy it. And then I adjusted my gun belt and walked into the house, thinking Will would be waiting. But he was pretending to be a sleep in his sleeping bag.

At breakfast, Bucky and Whiskey talked about how they are going to do this and that and how good the food is. I never said a word, just looked at Will, eating Whiskey's and Bucky's chow just like he didn't do nothing wrong. And I stared him right in the eye. Bucky and Whiskey saw this and knew there was trouble brewing and decided to nip it in the bud.

"Y'all youngin' need to eat up and take you're plates to the wash tub." Bucky said. "All us adults plus Will here is gonna have us a talk. " They looked at one another and was whisked up by Gloria. And when they where out of ear shot, I threw my knife at Will, pinning his arm to the table !

"You gonna tell 'em boy or am I ?" I said.

"Aint nothing to tell, you old bastard !" Will said, trying to work the table knife free from the wooden table. I slammed my fist down on the table top, making everything on it jump. Pointing my finger at Will I said....."Bucky, Whiskey....dis little somebitch is in cohoots will dat Coldwell banker feller. He was talkin' to him, an some other gun men der, an ole Will here got his ass handed to him by Coldwell !"

"You lie Old Man !" Will said and had worked his knife free and was ready to throw it at me when he heard my hammer cocking back on my dragoon and Whiskey's and Bucky's peacemakers.

"Son, the next time you open you're mouth, the truth be coming out or you'll look like swiss cheese !" Bucky said.

I stood up and walked over to where the young man was setting and shoved the barrel of my Dragoon into the back of his head. "Ole Will here likes hangin' out in Saloons like da Silver Belle and comvortin'wif dim Saloon whores. Is dat what ya want yur sister and baby brother to know bout ya ?" Now Will was shaking.

He took a deep breath and asked, "What do ya want to know ?"

Whiskey stood and took dead aim at his fore head and said, "Every damn thing !"

"Coldwell knew you would be back soon. We where just orphans looking for work when Coldwell found us. He put us here, he feed us and all that.....just had to report to him once a week, that's all. Said something about mineral rights and water rights on you're place. I reported to him last night and there was some tuff and mean looking men in Coldwell's house......that's all I know !" Will said, and I noticed his hand wrapping tighter and tighter around his coffee cup.

"Don't try it son......ya will never make it !" I said. "Only a fool wood try it !"

Whiskey put her peacemaker away and looked to Bucky and said, "What are we going to do with him, now that we know ?"

Bucky said, "We'll keep him here. Now he has to think about his sister and baby brother. And if he pulls anything, I will threw them all out into the night !"

"Not the Apache way......Shoot first.......enemy will not come back !" I said and I looked deep into Will's eyes. I could see the fear in them. "But he'll not be reporting ta Coldwell feller no more, rat ?" He nodded and said "Yes Sir !"

"Get to mending the corral !" Bucky said and Will was outside in a heart beat, using wire or rope or nails, what ever he could fine to mend the corral. I've never seen a boy move that quick save the drummer boy of Bucky's troop.

"Will.....what we gonna do now boys ?" Whiskey looked at her husband and then me. "Me.....I'd just like to ride into town and have it out. Kill 'em all !"

Bucky looked at me and I replied ......"Well, we need to act like we don't know what he's up ta. Bucky an me will go up inta da hills an round up dim wild horses....bring 'em in fer bustin an saddle horses. Dat will take most of da day. Din" I said, looking toward Whiskey, "me and Bucky will ride inta town for a drink, maybe some faro, and see what we can find out. Lock yurself in Whiskey...keep da scatter gun loaded....an yur carbine handy till we git back."

As we saddled up, I as Bucky was worrying about his beloved wife so I told him she would be all right. "What if Will goes back to Coldwell ?"

"Coldwell don't know nothin' yet........but ifin' he don't show when he's suppose ta, Coldwell will know somethin' up. Till din..Will ...he's gonna stay rat whar he is." I said and swung up into the saddle. "I won't worry none. Now...I said some sign up near meadow creek....let's check der first." and we rode off.

I did watch my husband and Hawk ride off with serious misgivings. Just after they were beyond the tree line heard the cry of a red tail hawk not twenty feet above me. Our blue tick hound heard it too and commenced to barking. “Rebel Yell, inside!” I may have sounded a bit harsh cause, well just cause. Rebel scuffled into the house, head down and tail between his legs.

Went in and locked the door and shouted for the cook and chitlins. Gave the chitlins instructions to lock all the doors and windows then start a big fire in the fireplace, seeing the chimney was big enough to accommodate an outlaw.

Told cook to follow me into the bedroom. Opened the gun safe, grabbed two long guns at a time and tossed them on the bed. And all ammunition to be had. Told cook that there will be unwelcome visitation upon these premises. We both started loading up everything as we talked about strategy. Which windows were the best vantage points so the house was covered every which way. How to see which outlaws needed to be taken out right quick. And pay attention when Rebel Yell heard and smelled the baduns.

The chitlins were building a fire when cook and I brought the guns and stationed them at the afore mentioned windows. I told them all about our situation and such and their eyes got as big as saucers.

“Outlaws will be coming at us today. You may recognize some.” The look on Robin’s face told me she for sure she would recognize some. Roland just looked confused. “Anyone comes riding up with guns a blazing is a serious threat to your health. Shoot em.”

Cook and I spent the rest of the morning instructing them all about showdowns. Seems cook had taken quite a shine to little Roland, she was showing him all the guns and how to load and handle them when I nodded Robin into the kitchen. I did proceed to dress her down about her underhanded deeds and such. Mostly that gal was worried for her little brother what knew nothing about the deal she made with Coldwell. “It’s a waiting game now, see who lives and who doesn’t. Now, as long as we are waiting, get cook’s chores done that don’t require going outside.”

I thought a bit of liquid nourishment, just a bit, was in order for cook and myself that only the pie safe and its face jugs could provide. After all, we did have a while to wait. Waited for hours.

Twilight came and the house was on full alert. Outlaws are cowards, best time to attack is at night even it was just some women and children. They didn’t know much about these women and children. Then Rebel sounded the alarm like only a blue tick hound can.

I heard the call of the red tail and threw my hand up and reined up real quick, Bucky did the same. " What's up Hawk ?"

I searched the empty sky and saw the red tail and heard his call agin and this time it send chills down my spine. Saw the red tail circle over the ranch house and then fly off.

"Bucky, my Brother Red tail Hawk has just told me to stay here and watch the house." I looked and saw we where in the tree line and up on a slight knoll. This could work to our advantage I thought. Bucky took the reins and lead our horses off to a safe distance and tied them to some scrub bush, then coming back to where I was, handed my my 1860 Henry rifle that I took of a yankee solider I shot whilst he was running away from the fight.

Bucky searched the grounds around the house and nothing was moving. Not even Rebel Yell, who was normally laying outside on the porch this time of day. And enough it was atleast 90 degrees outside, Bucky saw smoke raising from the den fire place and the kitchen fire place. This did not look right to Bucky, and he asked me, "Hawk...you think Coldwell is making his play ?"

I looked and the sun was just setting. "Not now, and not Coldwell. He loves his money ta damn much ta come out an do his own fightin' ! He'll send his outlaw gun boys to hit our, I mean you're and Whiskey's home. An he'll mostly wait till sun set to do it too. Dat's what I wood do ifin' I was him. Dey'll spect us to be out till next morning roundin' up them wild hosses up in meadow creek. But we aint gonna be der. We is gonna be rat cere ! So when dim outlaws come lookin' round tonight........."

"They will get a big ole surprise !" Bucky said with a smile on his face. "Heard tells of you and you're men laying low for weeks on end, waiting on a train loaded with yankee gold.....Now I know it's true. But one thing bothers me Hawk, ....Why did you call this house down there mine and Whiskey's house, why not you're's too. Why not our home ?"

"Explain dat to ya later Bucky. Rat now, now fire...cold camp....one sleeps....one watches....don't make any moves wif out da other. An you got first watch !" I said and went to unsaddle the horses, brought up our saddles and used my for my head. But truth be told, I had my blanket on the ground and was listening. The ground on this knoll was granite with a little top soil covering it, so sound would travel here. I used it to my advantage.

Midnight was upon us and Bucky woke me , informing me that it was my turn. It was the time of night that the trickster, the humped back flute player comes out, when the moon is bright and straight over head. Bucky was about to say goodnight, that's when I saw a small cloud of dust out near the barn. I pointed it out to Bucky and he pulled his spy glass out to take a look see. I already knew what it was and was lining up a shot.

"Hawk ! That's a man !" Bucky said. Soon there was three then four then six and then eight men all round the house, using the barn and wood shed for cover. Bucky drew his 66 Winchester Big Boy and lined up his shot.

"Fire an move Bucky !" I said.

"You bet ! " He answered and we both squeezed our triggers. He went to the west of the main house, I went to the east. Both our rounds found their marks and the inside, Whiskey, Gloria and two other guns went to work, keeping them pinned down. I saw a ladder go up but before I could fire, a shot rang out from the inside and the outlaw fell to the ground, rolling in pain, screaming like a wounded coyote and holding what was left of his private parts ! I worked my way up to the barn and found two men, who, one in each turn, I cut their throats and smiled at them, watching them die.

Bucky had lined up another shot, and that man's head exploded in a gray bloodly pinkish mist. Another man, he shot in his gun hand and when I turned around on one knee, Bucky put two rounds into his chest, the man making a thump, thump sound as the bullets found their way to his heart. Bucky put the sneak on on man, slit his throat and shot another man in his gut at point blank range, wested the outlaws pistol from his own hand and shot him again in his gut.

The remaining outlaws had cut and started to run, when I lined up a shot and fired, shooting an outlaw right square in his back. He fell head long into the dust of the ranch house and I walked out to grab him and started to scalp him. This was MY war trophy ! Bucky came up with the horses, with the saddles just layer upon their backs. When Gloria saw the scalp in my hands, she passed out. It shouldn't have after all she's mexican and I'm half breed Apache. She surely saw scalps being lifted before. I took the horses from Bucky and he gave Whiskey a big ole hug and they went into the house.

I took the horses to the barn, un saddled them and gave them some oats. Tacked the scalp on the barn wall to dry, got a shovel and as I reloaded my Henry, I laid it up against the horse trough and on the backside of the trough, I buried the man I scalped. He was a young man, one I saw in town a few times, played cards with a few times too. He played with fire and fire burnt him. As the sun came up, I was setting in the barn, cleaning and reloading my weapons when Whiskey came in, in the cool of the morning, with a cup of coffee. She gave it to me and I sipped it and it came to me that I hadn't had a drink of anything for many hours !

"Thought you may need this Hawk." Whiskey said as she gave me the cup and set down beside me. I smelt the coffee and it had the "special" something in it that she made. I sipped it and took how good it was and with out warning, Whiskey gave me a bear hug ! I looked at her with this puzzled look on my face and Whiskey said "Thank you !"

I put my rifle down and said "Why do you hug me ?" to which Whiskey replied, "Because you are family here Hawk......You are family and we......you Bucky and me are kin ! Now....come inside and get some breakfast !"

As I walked toward the main house I saw the bullet holes on the outside adobe walls and thought, "I do now have kin.....and I will not let them suffer !" Smiled opened the back door and walked into the kitchen.

Bucky and Whiskey where going at it. Each one was fearful the other may have gotten killed. I finished up my breakfast, poured myself another cup of coffee, then I got up, went into Bucky's and Whiskey's bedroom, got Whiskey's brand new peacemakers, her carbine and her 12 gauge and put them all on the table with a thud. Bucky and Whiskey went white, then I saw Whiskey go from pale white women to an Apache warrior in a flash.

Looking her in the eye, I smiled and said, "I'll saddle yur hoss now." and walked out to the barn. I brushed her horse down and after the halter was put on I checked and picked it's hoofs as well. A few of the other mounts needed new shoes, but that will have to wait. We where gonna show Coldwell that we aint gonna be run off a t'all. Whiskey came in the side door of the barn, looked over her mount and walked over to me and gave me a big ole hug. "Kin we are !" she said, 'and kin will fight and die like kin !"

With that I swung the barn doors open wide and there, in their saddles was Bucky, Toby, Roy and Sam,...all smiling from ear to ear. Sam leaned forward in his saddle a bit and said, "Ramrod, Ma'am...ya didn't think we was gonna let y'all take on this Coldwell character alone, now did ya ?" Bucky was all smiles and said, Darling, don't worry none about the chlitterns...Jim's watching over them. Now mount up and let's ride toward town !"

Whiskey, Bucky, Toby, Roy, Sam and me all rode into town on that fateful morning, still a chill in the air to where one could see the horses breath in the mist. Reined up to a couple of hitching posts outside the Silver Belle Saloon and we all started to walk into the Saloon, when I saw the Sheriff walking toward us, so I told Whiskey to take the men on inside, just one drink.....I was expecting a fight coming, to which Whiskey just lit up. I need to talk to the Sheriff, see what side he is on. I lingered on the covered board walk and met the Sheriff.

"Hawk....I see this aint no social call. You plan on going to see that Coldwell fellow ?" Ron asked me.

I smiled and looked the Sheriff in the eye and said, "What ever do ya mean Ron ? His spies done went an tolt him we was here. Want be long now for him or some of his gun hands come nosin' round. And when dey do, who's side ya gonna be on, Ron ?" I asked.

Ron drew a deep breath and replied, "Can't make a move agin 'em boys if they don't break the law !"

Crossing me arms in front of me I said, "Uh ah !"

Ron continued. "But if they raise a ruckus or try to kill y'all or something along them lines, I will be obliged to practice the long arm of the law. Do I make myself clear to ya Hawk ?"

"You do so Sir !" and made a sweeping motion with my hand inviting him in with us, and as I was about to go into the Silver Belle Saloon, I adjusted my rig on my hips, took a quick glance around the town. All seemed normal, but I knew normal wasn't gonna last long.

The Saloon name's name, "The Silver Belle" was named after the vein of silver that ran through this town and under the Twin Oaks Ranch. And the bar keep was a big , big man. And that helped in a Saloon fight, but more importantly he had big hands and in this town, if you didn't have gold coin to pay with, silver dust would do. And the bigger the hands, the more silver dust a Saloon would make. Bucky and Whiskey didn't settle here for the silver. They didn't even know of them. They settled here cause it was half way to Louisiana and El Paso. They took me on as their ramrod a number of years ago, because I worked well with both cattle and horses. Plus this being my native land, I could speak with the locals, convince them they could take a steer every now and them for food.

Then suddenly, a shot rang out, followed by two more and as the Sheriff and I ran out the door, we could see two men leaving town in a hurry. The big bar keep came outside onto the board walk and fell to the boardwalk but not before he could get a blast off from his 8 gauge, thus knocking him to the floor of the boardwalk. He lay there, in a pool of his own blood, dead as a door nail !

Ron drew but could not get a shot off. "Come on here.....their heading for the Twin Oaks !" I took hold of the Sheriff's arm saying, "Jim and dos two gun hands are fine ! Whiskey came running out, her peacemakers drawn and ready, only to stare down at the big lifeless body in front of her.

"Guess you can use this Hawk...." Whiskey said, referring to the 8 gauge she had picked up. Bucky had went out the back door and was watching from an alley way. I took the 8 gauge and the four shells the dead bar keep had in his huge hands.

"Just a minute !" Ron said and disappeared inside. When he came back out he said he had left his tin star on the table, and he smiled. Soon the rest of our group was out the bat winged doors. We could see Coldwell's house, big and quite handsome, and that's where we where going. Whiskey levered a round into the chamber of her carbine, and smiled...never talking her eyes off her objective. I was searching each store doorway and window for movement......this felt like a trap !

About half way to Coldwell's house, I chambered a 44-40 into my Henry and lay it across me shoulder and picked up the peace abit and caught up to Whiskey. I said to her, "Look bout Darlin...dis don't fell rat !"

Whiskey slowed up a bit and started to look from side to side and no one was visible. No towns folk going about their daily chores, no kids playing hoop, not even any dogs where seen outside. I spotted an alley way off to the right side and I said, "When I count ta tree, y'all make a bee line toward dat alley yonder. Dis is a set up shore !"

Whiskey looked over to the right and then back at me, asking "Are you sure Hawk ?" My reply was to start counting !

We all took to running toward the alley way as the sounds of rifles and pistols started to fire, kicking up dirt just behind us ! But just as we thought we where safe, two guys rounded the alley with winchesters leveled at us. Bucky wasted no time in cutting them down with the blasts of that 9 gauge !

I asked Ron, "Whar do dis alley lead to ?" and he said to the Silver Belle. I shock my head no....."Dey'll be waitin' fer us, shore as day light ! Bucky....ya see anythin' come around der, kill it !" Bucky nodded in reply just when he fired that 9 gauge again.

"What's down dat other alleyway, Ron ? " I asked. I had known this town before the war and was starting to get to know it before we drove the herd up to Kansas, but not any more.

Ron pointed around the corner and said, "That's where Livery is ! " He knew what I was thinking and he took off that way. I heard that big 9 gauge speak once more....Whiskey and the rest of the hands where busy keeping the outlaws that worked for Coldwell busy.

I eased up and tapped Whiskey's shoulder and said, "Git down dat way, round da corner....Bucky's waitin' fer us in Livery. Make da Mornin' dove call ....he'll know it's you !"

"Hell No Hawk ! I aint leaving you behind and I sure as hell aint leaving Coldwell alive !" Whiskey stood up, shouting over the noise of the weapons firing. I grabbed her and pulled her down just as a bullet struck the side of the building where she had been standing.

I shook my head no ! "Ya can't fight a man on his own land an spect ta win ! We gotta regroup ! Now..GIT !" I said to her. When I looked back from the target rich environment , she was gone.

One by one we made our way out of that ambush, and after the return fire from our side had stopped, most of them, including Coldwell knew we had gotten away. We rode hard back to the Twin Oaks, stabled our horses and went inside the main house. Whiskey came bolting in...."Gloria ! Fetch some bandages and some hot water now !" Then she turned her head toward Bucky and said, "Darling....please fetch that bottle of tequila in the liquor cabinet !" Whiskey took my arm and pulled me down into the chair beside her.

"Looks like a through and through wound Hawk ! Set right still while I clean it and bandage it for ya !" Whiskey said, then took a sift shot of the clear liquid. Then poured some on my wound......and that burnt like hell's flames themselves ! I didn't know I was it ! I tried to set still and I was thinking that this wound was a long way from my heart, and I must have said it also, as Bucky looked down at me and said, "SO ? !"

Bucky looked at me again, as I rose to me feet and asked, "Alright then ! The die is cast......how do ya want to play this Hawk ? Like we did at little Round Top ?"

I smiled and replied, "Just like dat. Let dim fellers come to us ! We fight 'em on our home ground, not da other way round ! Need each man at a winder an door.....pistol an his rifle an a box of ammo. Gloria ....how'd dim youngin's do while we where in town ?"

"They did good Señor ! Real good." she said. I looked to Jim for conformation of it and he nodded. Then I gave them a rifle....all but the baby. "Take two hours watches ....two on, two off.....till day light.'" I said. "Gloria, keep the fire goin' an plenty of hot water an bandages....just in case. " Bucky was going through his saddle bag and pulled out some dynamite sticks. And we both smiled. "Was gonna use 'em when we start our own mine, but I think this is more like it. How many seconds Hawk...2, 3, 4 ?

"Tree ! Dat sood fix 'em up real nice like !" I said.

Seemed like we were going to get more unwelcome visitation, and that last gunfight was still fresh in my mind. That night was hell on earth.

It started out like such: Well into the night we heard the thunder of dozens of hooves and rifle shots. Straight away the blue tick just went to howling and barking. Could see outlines of the attackers cause the moon was full, they should have waited for a darker night. “Pick them off with your rifles before they get past the fence if you can!“ I shouted to the chitlins. “If they get close use the scatter gun, call for me or cook if they’s a bunch of them close.”

Bullets smacked against the adobe walls of the house and shatterd the windows, seems we were getting hit from everywhere. They had us on all four sides. Not far from cook, several rounds bounced off a large sterling silver tray that had been in my family for generations, hung on the wall. Next to go was an antique lead crystal vase from Ireland. We picked off some outlaws then I heard the report of large rifles beyond the tree line which sent a couple those boys to where they did belong. Them with the large rifles had to be Bucky and Hawk! We in the house commenced firing, wasn’t long before smoke was so thick it was hard to see anything. Coughing and eyes burning we just kept on going. Had to. Brass was flying and bouncing and going everywhere, scattering all over the floor. Shots through the windows sent glass shards everywhere, one sliced through my forehead, just a scratch though.

Cook was down on one knee levering a Henry in a hurry. She swung it over just as one outlaw tried to breach the house with a ladder against the roof, aimed and fired. She shot him down in short order, making sure if he survived children were not in his future.

It was over minutes, seemed like hours. Then a most welcome sight, Bucky and Hawk rode up.

Bucky had some training in the mining business as to fuzes we where going to use. He said he would prefer nitro but I would prefer not to fight this battle at all, but that was not going to pass. As Bucky cut a few of the fuses to three second lengths, I could see Whiskey was having a hard time adjusting to what had happened last night and looks like it was going to happen again. She had lost a lot of her heirlooms, and that just torn her up inside. I knew this was the job of her husband so I took over and told Bucky to go comfort Whiskey as best he could.

I put the fuses into the bundles of dynamite sticks and set them aside. The sun was coming up and I knew the outlaws and gun hands would not try anything in broad day light. Or at least, they shouldn't if they where smart. Those boys who attacked us last night was not the sharpest tool in the shed as they hit us with the full moon at their backs. That just lit them up. The fools ! I could hear Whiskey crying her heart out and Gloria went toward the room where she and Bucky where, but I put out my arm to stop her and shook my head.

"Y'all need ta re load dim weapons der." I said. "Might be havin' company some time !"

Gloria looked toward where she heard the sobbing then turning to me saying, "But Señor Hawk...she needs me !"

I looked up from the explosives and said,..."She needs her husband more ! Dat's why dey is married , si ? " Gloria didn't like it but instead returned to loading the weapons and stoking the fire. When she finally calmed down after Whiskey stopped crying, Gloria put on a pot of coffee and started making breakfast for every one. Later Bucky would come out and whispered that Whiskey's ok, just sleeping. Bucky, Jim and me took first watch. They rest of the hired hands, Toby, Roy and Sam sat down to eat breakfast. The youngin' started to clean up the mess of shattered glass and brass cases laying about. I told them to crack open the front door, but stay clean of the line of fire. Bucky came up to me so I handed him this pouch I had.

"What's this Hawk ?" he asked, looking into the bag. The substance inside had a yellowish cream color to it.

"Dat be Sperti, Bucky. Maw made it fer me an Father till she was kilt. Will take care to da cut on Whiskey's forehead. Won't leave no ugly scar." I said.

Bucky took it and thanked me but as he walked into the room, he said..."Aint her forehead I'm worried about Hawk !"

Bucky disappeared into the room and I caught me self thinking, "It's her Spirit I be worried about !"

When the hands got done eating and we got our meal and two hours rest Whiskey came out. Without a word said, she got down four glasses... one for her, Bucky, Jim, and me.....filling them full of her own smooth whiskey. This amber liquid is so smooth, it is like drinking velvet. I don't know how to describe it other than that. And if a soul isn't mighty careful, the home made whiskey will put them down real fast. I saw this happen many a time when carpet baggers came round. We'd get them drunk and put them in a so called compromising situations and then go get the local law. Best way I know of to keep the ranch in Louisiana.

Whiskey pored the glasses fill and started to sip some down. Jim asked her, "What's the occasion Ma'am ?"

"Gonna kill Coldwell, that's why !" said said, holding her glass high. We all cheered her and threw as much of the glass back as possible. "I plan to shoot him first, then skin him out. If he passes out, I'll bring him back around, then I'll scalp him. If he's still alive, then I'll kill him !" Whiskey said. "I've lost a lot of things here.....they can be replaced. Not my pride. Not Bucky's pride ! That can never be replaced. So this here....." Whiskey said as she walked toward the back door, pointing to the floor,..."Is the second War of Northern Aggression. This is the second south and this time, we will win !" I have never heard more determination in all my years. I've been a Tejas Ranger, a Confederate Colonel, and a cowhand. But I never heard such determination....not even from J.E.B. Stuart !

"We've talked it over Hawk. You're free to leave and we won't hold it against you. All of you are free to leave, if you wish. We can't promise any thing other than pain, sweat, blood crying but we will make our stand here !" Bucky said. "Our lives are here now. All the sweat and love that went into making this ranch a working ranch...I won't stand bye and watch it go away again. You men can rode out and we will not think any thing bad of you. And if you choose to stay and fight with us, I can't promise it will get any easier. Can't promise you'll live through the fight....but Whiskey and I can promise that you will be as much a part of our family as if you're blood kin."

And for me, that sealed the deal. I there my whiskey back and walked up to Bucky and taking his big hand into mine I said, "I'll stand with you and Whiskey come hell or high water. I know how well you can fight Bucky and you seem me in action as well. I'll stand wif y'all !" Jim, Toby , Roy and sam agreed also. And I felt better knowing they had chosen of their own free will.

I later sit the watches and relaxed for at least four hours. I slept easy knowing that Sam was there on the nigh hawk and Sam had a good head on his shoulders. I could see that things where going to stay the same as they are now, if they wasn't forced to move. We couldn't move about, nor go into town for supplies ...more like caged animals. Well, I guess the gun hands and outlaws working for Coldwell didn't know a thing about a cornered animal. They pace back and forth, looking for their just to strike. And when they see it, they jump out and tear you up !

Just before daylight, I saddled up my horse and rode out to check on the cattle in the north forty. Something told me to check out there, and I don't know why. That was enough to get me out there. When I packed up my horse I took my bow and quiver of arrows with me. Sure enough after an hour of ridding along and trailing the herd's movements, I stumbled on some gutted cattle. I knew the Apaches didn't have anything to do with this, although there was an attempt made to make it look like it was the work of Apaches. And there was a number of horses missing as well. I crested to top of a small knoll and saw a man working away at a cow he had just killed. I judged the distance and the wind, took out a long arrow, and drew my bow back. He must has sensed some one was watching because he stood and turned, looking toward the east. I let my arrow fly and in a few seconds saw him grab his neck and go down. I laid on the ground for some time before riding over to check him out and sure enough he was dead as a door nail. I gathered up his guns and ammo and the two horses he had. Both had the Twin Oaks brand on them. Ok.....so he was a horse theif and I wondered how much else there was to him.

When I got back to the ranch house the sun had just set behind the horizon. I unsaddled my horse and his horse and put all three in the stable with the other horses. Then I took his lifeless body back to the back porch of the house. His face was blackened by the sun and no blood flowing and I put him down on the floor. Gloria came out running....."No Señor Hawk NO ! Dead men do not go there !"

Whiskey and Bucky came out. "Hush up Gloria !" Whiskey said. "Hawk ...where did you find him ?"

"North forty Whiskey. Gott a feelin' da cattle was spooked..went up der ta check it out an seen dis hombre guttin a steer. Plus der was two hosses he was riddin'...one wif a saddle on it close by him an da other was trailin' behind him." I said. "But I brought back the beef.....no use of lettin' it go ta waste !"

Bucky pushed his way through and said, "I know this man Hawk. He was at the signing of our deed a few years back. "

I pushed my hat back on my head and said, "Well....guess Coldwell's up ta no damn good !"

The man I had shot with my arrow, never did get the name nor did it matter. He was white and it was clear he wasn't Apache.Not even mixed blood. I talked Bucky and Whiskey into this un easy trade agreement with the Apache. Instead of them slaughtering all of us..me included....Bucky and Whiskey would let them have a steer as long as they only took one a month and used every part, to which the Apache agreed to. Since that time, the herd has grown and they allow the Apache to take up to three steers at a time. I have even helped them pick out some every now and again. But as I told Whiskey and Bucky, there was a price to be payed for ranching in their or our lands. Better than being dead !

But this white man laying here on the floor of the back porch.....his face and all over exposed body parts blacken by the sun, I caught him rustling. Fair and square. And if I had not killed him, the county would have had the expense of a trail and a hanging. Now the hanging maybe a good thing. Most folks round here like a good hanging. The party atmosphere ....vendors selling this and that....but I doubt the county would have made anymore off him than what was spent, so I figured I saved them a lot of gold coin. Still the question remained...did Coldwell send him to the north forty to stampede the herd toward the main house or was he trying to rustle them ? There was only one way to find out.

After the evening meal and the cigars where smoked and bourdon was drank, I pulled Sam aside and said......"Had about nuff of dis as a man can take. Need answers an need 'em now. Will ya saddle up an ride inta town wif me Sam ? I aint gonna lie to ya or sugar coat it or anythin' like dat.....it's gonna be dangerous......mite even git killed. You game ?"

Sam took a long pull off his cigar and responded......"Hell ya ! Man can't live forever !"

We waited till all where asleep and made our way out to the barn to saddle our horses. We had the blankets on and had just swung our saddles up when I heard the this noise and Sam heard it too. I pulled my Dragoon and Sam pulled his converted Walker and aimed into the shadows. "Ya picked a wrong place to hide Mister !" Sam said.

"Don't think so ! " It was a lady's voice and out came Whiskey, leading her horse, all saddled up and she was ready to ride ! "Saw you fellers talkin' real quite like after supper.....knew ya was up to something. Now let me see.......you both plan to go into town and find out what Coldwell is cooking up or maybe stop the war by killing him.......Am I right ?" Whiskey asked and we didn't answer, as we put our pistols away and went back to the task at hand. "No need to answer me boys cause I'm going with you !" Whiskey said. That made Sam gasp and me stutter !

"Boss Lady......if you where to get hurt or Gawd forbid even killed, the Boss man will hunt us down !" Sam said.

I frowned and said to Whiskey......"Dis is a man's job ! Now git back in ta house next ta yur man....be back for dawn."

"Hawk...Sam.......You men work for me and my husband. As long as you're in our employ, you will do as we say. Clear ?" Whiskey said as she swung up into her saddle.

I sighed, wondering how a white women could get the drop on me like this. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks ! Whiskey is the only women to live through a sweat lodge ! So she's a breed now just like me ! "Ok ! " I said leading my horse over to hers. "But I have combat experience here...not you ..not Sam. Ya both best do what I say, when I say or I swear , I'll kill ya both when we git back !" I stepped up into my saddle and we rode off toward town. This had been a good plan before. Now I had to look after Whiskey ! My hands where full !

We reined up outside the Sheriff's office in town and there was this note on the door for him to come to the telegraph office. So that is where we went to. Not wanting to let any body know we where in town, we took some alleyways to the whispering wires office. No lights on. That was odd. I drew my weapon and tried the back door, to my surprise was unlocked and slightly ajar. I made sign for Sam to wait outside and keep a look out. Then Whiskey and I went inside. Not knowing the room,it was completely dark and had to make our way throughout the darkness without bumping into something. That's where we found the Sheriff !

Ron was slumped over on the floor, in a pool of his blood...knifed in the gut. His pistol and hunting knife where missing as well. After making sure there was no one else in the room, I left Whiskey tending to Ron and went outside to Sam. I told him the situation inside and also told him to get the Sheriff's horse. As quiet as a church mouse, Sam went and saddled Ron's horse and brought it back to the telegraph office back door. We got Ron on his horse and I knew Sam had been trained in the art of the key operator, so I told Sam to send a telegraph to Denver. All I wanted sent was "Brother......Load heavy ...come quick.......Hawk" After that we went back out the way we came into town.

But there was something I had to do. Whiskey knew what it was and when we arrived Sam said, "Oh...Shit !" as Whiskey and I dismounted and walked, bold as can be into the the Silver Belle Saloon. Walked up to the bar and ordered two whiskeys. And I said in a calm voice....."I need yur attention folks !" Looking at Whiskey I said, "Guess they did not hear me !" and threw my drink back. With that Whiskey smiled and said, "Bout time !" drew her first peacemaker and fired three shot onto the picture on this nude women over the bar keeps head. Two rounds into the chest and one round into the middle of her forehead.

She then drew her other peacemaker as I drew one Dragoon, threw the second whisky back and said, "Now dat I have y'all's attention.....Like ta make a noticement ! Good friend of mine's been knifed in da gut ! Left ta die like some dawg ! Know...some of you present know who we are. Ya know why Coldwell wants dis ranch.....Maybe so.....Do not matter. Ya aint gonna git it wifout a fight ! Dat bein' said" I said as I walked up to a man I had saw at the battle the day before. "So let's just start rat now ! How bout you......"I said, shoving my Dragoon barrel into this thug's forehead. "I aint gonna be able to take all y'all.....but who's gonna be first ta die ? How bout you ?" The outlaw slowly raised his hands to so me he was unarmed.

"Well now.....how bout you din ? Ya want ta die tonight ?" I saw a man slowly moving for his gun and Whiskey saw it to. And she fired a shot into his shoulder. That gave her great satisfaction because of what Coldwell had done. We where slowly backing toward the bat winged doors when Sam called out..."Hawk ....Ma'am.....Y'all may want to see this !"

As we walked out onto the covered board walk, there was Sam trying to hold up Ron, and he had his gun on Coldwell ! I guess I had to be living right for this to happen !

When I saw who Sam held at gunpoint I was just ready to explode, right then and there. Walked with a purpose till I was in front of him, my back to the Saloon. By the time I faced Coldwell both my pistols had cleared leather, one pointed at his heart, one at his forehead. “Coldwell, I’m sending you to hell right quick!” Just at that moment I heard the clicking sound of more than few hammers being drawn back behind me. I stopped in my tracks.

Hawk growled under his breath, “This’s a pruty pickle ya done got us in, Whiskey.” Then he was gone like a wraith.

They weren’t firing cause their boss was in the line of fire. If I killed him, they would have no reason not to fire. If they killed me they would get a wallopin but good. Looks like we had us a Mexican standoff. We all stood there frozen, Bucky, Sam, the ranch hands, Coldwell and his outlaws, each side with our guns aimed at the other. Bucky broke the spell when he strode over to Coldwell, grabbed him by the hair and pushed a pistol in his forehead. The look in his eyes would curdle cream. “You men stand down. If anything happens to my wife, I’ll scalp, skin and gut you alive! One of our men is out of your range with a Sharps 50 cal aimed at Coldwell. We’re gonna leave and ya’ll are gonna let us!”

With Coldwell with us we took off out of town at a fair clip, hosses hooves kicking up dust and sending critters scurrying here and there. After we got back to the ranch we tied Coldwell up in the smokehouse and let him stew a bit. He was ornery for sure. Yelling and cussing like all get out. As Gloria was preparing to slop the hawgs, I told her to slop the one in the smokehouse first. Next time I looked in the smokehouse, well, Coldwell was covered in entrails and other such refuse. Well, I can’t very well carry on a conversation with someone what smells to high heaven so I had a couple of the hands pour a few buckets of cold water over him. That just left him sputtering mad. When he finally calmed down and started acting somewhat civilized, I told him not to be any trouble and we’ll let him live. (So what, I lied.)

I want to kill Coldwell but that would be counterproductive. We need him as bait to draw his henchmen into some of the traps and ambushes we’ve set around our land. We have one right fine shindig for those boys. By God is my witness, we will prevail. Overhead I heard the cry of a red tail hawk.

It had been a very busy night last night...I didn't sleep. I dug large holes in the dry grass near the barns and put sharp sticks in them. Should a henchman step off in one, he would get a stick through the foot and as natural reaction would be, he would pull his foot off real fast. That's where the other sticks where, pointing downward. Then I had sent up in the woods, a twig drew back, with three sharpened sticks on it, tied to the twig. I then set up places that look like the soil had been tempered with, just to push Coldwell's men into the wood where the twigs and saplings where set up. When I got back to the main house, I walked in, got a biscuit to eat on, poured some whiskey and went walking through the house. Into the pallor I went, took my gun belt off, sitting it on the chair by me and plopped down in the chair. I was dead tired.

It was sun set before Bucky woke me. "Supper's ready Hawk. You feel like eating ?"

I nodded yes, and reached for my gun belt.......it was missing. Alarms went off in my head....as that was not normal for Bucky to take my weapons. I thought Coldwell's men had managed to get inside some how. I drew my fighting knife and slowly made my way to the kitchen door.

"T'aint locked Hawk......just give a little push !" Whiskey's voice came from the other side. She didn't sound like she was in any trouble, so I pushed to door open and there she sat, cleaning my pistols......my Henry standing up in the corner, 8 gauge on the counter behind her. Gloria had prepared some pairrie chickens, fried taters....biscuits and a large pot of gumbo. I was impressed how quickly Gloria had learned from Whiskey. Gloria already knew how to cook mexican, but now Cajun as well ? Plus Gloria was one good shot and would not back down from a fight.

I sat down at the table, tucking my napkin under my shirt as Gloria gave me all I wanted and then some. I was eating well, on my second cup of coffee when I heard this bone chilling scream come from the barn the furthest away. "One of dim outlaws done stepped in one of my pits out der ! Bet dey don't do dat no more !" I said with a smile on my face and watched a smile grow across Whiskey's lips. She was enjoying this as much if not more than I am. And the children had been doing their jobs as well. Nothing got by their eyes.

"Whiskey........Ya handle dim weapons like a new mother handles her baby ! " I said. I watched her put on of my two pistols back together just like a champ ! "A man cood git mighty jealous of dat !" I said, laughing as she looked up at me.

"Why........Thought men like to be handled with kid's gloves !" she replied . Then she started to laugh and so did I.

Bucky came walking into the dinning room with this big map of most of the state and with their ranch on it. He asked me where I had laid the traps and pointed them out on the map. Then he said....."I learned something in town while we where there. Seems a few months back the state lopsidedly voted to force ranchers to buy the land right......the water rights and the mineral rights on their lands. Now,...the way I understand it is that a man can own the land rights but not own the water or material rights and there is nothing can be done unless it's a long expensive court fight.....it aint right but it's the law."

Whiskey went form a soft women to a hardened fight in a flash ! "Why the hell don't we just kill Coldwell right none.......be done with it !" She was fit to be tied and was pacing back and forth along the kitchen floor, in front of the cook stove.

"Captin'..."I said to Bucky......."I'll require one man to ride wif me....Sam. He's been wif me along time an I trust 'em. We'll ride out near the tree line and hit 'em when they come at ya. How's dat sound ?" and Bucky nodded yes.

Whiskey was fit to be tied ! "Hawk......what the hell you mean, ....I can't kill Coldwell ! You know damn well he'll kill us first change he gets ! And Bucky....where's this silver mine you say.....Where is it...show me !"

I pointed to the map and then I pointed to the floor........."Rat here Darlin'.....ya be standin' on it !" And her face went blank.

Bout that time all hell broke lose out side ! Bullets went whizzing by. Curtains where flying all apart.....then filling the air. Bullets bouncing off the rock fire place and the children's rifles had opened up. Then I saw it....and I could not believe what I was seeing ! The assault on the back of the house was a ruse......to draw our fire......they where going to hit our front ! Did they not learn from Gettysburg that a frontal assault meant a sure death ? ! I grabbed my Henry and told Gloria to help the children hold off the attackers,....we'll fight from here !

I lined up a shot, touched off the powder and watched the first outlaw hit the dirt...on his back, most of his head missing. I levered another round and picked up another target, trying to flank us...touched off the powder and saw him go face first in the dusty grass. Whiskey was going at it with her carbine. Each time she fired, I heard a scream of pain. Bucky had his rifle working, each time he fired another scream of pain was heard. They where to far away for pistol work, so we kept up with the rifles. I heard an outlaw come in through the bedroom window, dived across the open door, grabbed my 8 gauge and just as I had got onto my back the door flew open ! I touched off one of the shells and cut that fellers into. All around, I could see flame from the fire place through the black powder smoke, which smelt like hell had opened up.....and I saw pink, all the blood that was in the air, but none of it was ours. Then as suddenly as it had started, the fight seemed to drop off to nothing. I motioned Bucky and Whiskey to stay put. I knew this trick and I wasn't about to fall for it. I Quickly reloaded my Henry rifle and got a head count. All was present and accounted for ! But that so would change...........

Calico and I had gone in for a nap after our visit to the water hole, for some reason we both drifted off pretty quickly. I had some strange dreams, I dreamed that I was at some kind of large shooting match, and as I walked through the town I spotted Whiskey in front of the saloon. I saw her again that night at some fancy place, she was wearing a black and white striped dress with long gloves. I don't care for them long gloves much because you can't taste the hand when you kiss it. Her red hair was pretty, all done up and such. Buck was dressed in some fancy duds, not the usual clothes he wore on the trail.

About then a rider approaching quickly awakened us, Prairie Dawg swung down off of his horse landing on the porch. Telegram Cheyenne, your father already read it and will have things waiting for you at the ranch. Seems some feller that said he was your brother needs your help, Frank has three stages headed for the ranch, he'll have seven men and plenty of supplies ready as soon as you get there.

We fired two shots to warn Rye to come back to the cabin, but by the time we fired the second shot we heard his horse nearing. He had seen Prairie Dawg coming and knew something was up.

On the way to the ranch Calico was adamant that she was going too, but I reached over and rubbed her belly and told her "not this time, you'll need to stay at the ranch till I return."

Rye almost got knocked off of his horse when he told her, "You can learn to cook while Cheyenne is off playing war."

The stages were ready and waiting for us when we arrived at the ranch, along with Little Joe, Duke, Cypress Sun, Wyatt, and Splitrail. Rye and Prairie Dawg would go with us as well. Wells Fargo had sent two drivers for each stage as well as two complete teams for each stage. The dirvers had orders to push as hard as possible and change out both teams at each station along the way, and Wells Fagro would see to it that extra horses would be waiting at each station. The drivers had all the instructions for where we were headed and we would have horses waiting for us at our destination.

As I got ready to board the stage Calico grabbed me and kissed me like she had never done before and told me, "You come back to me or else I'll come hunt you down! Now, git and git back here as soon as you can!"

The ride was hard in the stages, we were able to rest some but it was a wild ride. We figured we had two long range shooters, four riflemen and two shotgunners, and of course all with pistols. We finally arrived at a small town, and quickly found the livery and the horses waiting for us to continue on to meet up with Whiskey, Buck and Hawk. It wasn't long before we heard gunshots, but in the darkness we had to stop short. Between lulls in the shooting I would give the screech of the hawk, if they heard it maybe we could do something.....

The battle raged on and on......well after sun up. Bodies lay all over the ranch and yet still they came. I heard some one on the tile roof and heard them break through the roof and drop into the floor. And I heard only one. Quickly as I could, I dived across the open front door, took my 8 gauge in hands and let go with one barrel, sending buckshot through the heavy mesquite door. As the door slowly opened, I could see bullets from his so called friends ripping into his body and yet still he came. I am of the mind he was going to hurt some one no matter what, so I fired again, blowing half his side out. I reloaded the scatter gun and slide it across the floor.."Gloria ! Cover the back porch !" I shouted.

Near a boulder that Whiskey thought was pretty, I saw one of the hired guns Coldwell sent to kill us. Taking my Sharps 45-110, i loaded and lined up my shot and then waited. He was trying to talk the children out. promising them things he had no intention of keeping. See my shot, I squeezed the trigger and watch as the large bullet found it's mark, sending a fine pink mist into the air.

"Awl......amigo.....ya put a hole in my belly !" he said in a strong mexican drew. And I knew that drew too. It was Mexican Bob. He was wanted all over the US and Mexico for rape, murder, horse thieving and cattle rustling. And I knew he wanted me dead in the worst way as I killed his brother Nasty Ned.

"Mexican Bob....hombre I'll put nother hole in ya fifn' I git da change !" I shouted out.

I saw him struggle closer up against the boulder and he said .."Hawk.......dat be you ? Thout ya be long in da tooth fer lawman's work !"

"Not in dat line of work now Bob......kinda was gittin' too close to da bone ! What ya been up to..sides murderin' an stealin' stock ?" and I put another 45-110 round into my Sharps and waited.

Mexican Bob shifted again to where I could almost see his shoulder. With this line of sight, I could blow his shoulder clean off with this high powdered round. But he wouldn't move any further. So I tried a different tack tick but Bob beat me to it.

"Eeeew Marshal.....ya made a hole in me ! I aint had a belly ache like this since I was a kid ! Ya got lucky Marshal!" he said to me. I noticed there was a lull in the firing and then I heard the hawk call. I knew help was coming, just didn't know if we would be alive by the time it came.

"I'll give ya nother one Bob.....Just stick dat nasty lookin' head up a bit more an I'll take care of all yur worries !" I said as I lined up my shot. And I kept Mexican Bob talking. "Just stick dat mop up one more time an I'll relive all yur cares Bob !" I said. Then I heard the hawk's call again.

Bob knew what I wanted and being gut shot, there was no getting over that, so I guess he just wanted to die, or plays me for a fool. "Marshal....want ta come out an talk ! No guns Marshal ....just words !"

"Come head Bob ! Give ya my word I won't shoot...ifin yur men don't !" I said.

Mexican Bob told his hombres to hold their fire and stepped out from behind the boulder. He put his rifle and his two pistols on the rock and stepped forward about four paces. He thought I had forgotten his belly gun he always carried, but I hadn't. Levering my Sharps at him I said ,"Dat be fer nuff Bob. Speak yur peace !"

"Marshal...Coldwell sent us here to kill y'all and burn this house down. Said we could do what we wanted with the cows and horses. But I know what's under here and so do Coldwell ! Make a deal with you Marshal...just join us and I'll see to it that ya get what's coming to ya ! What do ya say bout that ?" Mexican Bob said.

I raised my Sharps to my shoulder and said, "Yur a lier Bob ! Always have been ! Said I won't shoot ya walkin' out here......never said a word bout gittin' back !" I saw Bob go from brown to pale death white as I squeezed the trigger. Flame and smoke belched from the barrel as the bullet hit him square in his gut, taking out his entire back, including his belly gun and bounced off the boulder he was hiding behind. That when hell erupted all over again !

In the mist of the gun battle, I heard some wagons rolling up and I thought that this was it. But then I saw two men fall at the same time from the rear of the pack of men ! Help had arrived in the form of the Cheyenne and some of his men. Whiskey was firing so fast, she had to let hie carbine cool down and went to work with her pistols. The back porch door flew open and there stood this hombre with his rifle pointed toward the floor, and a set of brown lifeless eyes looking straight ahead. Bucky was down on one knee and had half his big hand buried in the mexican's back. Scatterguns where firing and I saw men exploding all around. I then answered his call, and that's when we all took cover !

The stagecoaches drivers had refused to stay behind in town and followed us out to the ranch during the night, it was a good thing the moon was high. By morning we began getting our bearings as we watched things start to unfold at the ranch were Hawk and the others were holed up.

The stage drivers had told me that my father had packed a surprize for us in the supplies. A surprize it was as we uncovered a box of dynamite. We doled out three sticks to each of us and got into position for the push towards the cabin. We would need to be mindful that Hawk and the others wouldn't know who was who as we approached. Not a good thing in a gunfight.

I told the men not to begin firing until they heard the hawk call three times, and when they heard it to unleash on those outside the cabin with everything we had. We watched as the mexican

tried to trick Hawk, and then watched as Hawk made him pay for his foolishness. I made several single calls to alert the cabin to our presence, and then as we got into a good position I drew from deep within and let out three of the most blood curdling hawk screams I couldmake.

With that everyone threw their first stick of dynamite, and as they were in the air starting firing on the men from their rear. Most of them turned just in time to see the dynamite land near them, they tried to run, but between the blasts and gunfire they crumpled to the ground. We started drawing some fire but we moved forward through it, and repeated our process. After the third run, the man that was left threw his guns out in front of him and started crying like a baby, as he walked towards us pleading for his life he walked through one of the blast craters, suddenly the ground around him began to give way and right before our eyes he disappeared into a large hole in the ground.

As we stood there staring at the hole, Whiskey threw open the door and hollered at me, "about time you showed up, we thought we were going to have to kill them all by ourselves!" Hawk and Buck followed her out, and

Archived