SASS Wire Forum

Free Grazers

Whiskey Business

The sun was just breaking over the mound, shining right in our eyes......now would be the best time for the Comanches to attack us. We had pick our camp site poorly, but this site was the best in that it had fresh food for the horses, low cut breach to draw fresh river water to fill our canteens and the three water barrels on the chuck wagon. And good fishing at which Calico could do very well for someone who grew up on a dry ranch.

We all had taken cover.....waiting for the attack to come. Then we heard it .......the hand drums.....the chatting and then later on the singing.......and even later the shouting ! "Señor Hawk.....what that is ? Do you know ? I heard it before, as a child !"

Sam spoke up....."War chat Gloria ! Working themselves up with courage to charge us and put the sneak up on us !"

"Dat's rat sonny boy...."I said and Jesse looked right at me and I looked right back at him..."Pruty soon , you'll have 'em sitting rat in yur lap !" Then I shouted out....."Pick an choose yur targets....Just cause we got ammo, don't mean ya can waste it.....unless yur good wif a knife ! Keep 'em on the other side of da river !"

Then the chatting stopped and the war cries came loud and hard. The first wave went down on the other side of the river but the angle of the sun now made it harder to see now. We where just able to keep them in the middle of the river. The river didn't seem so wide this time as it did when we camped here last night. The next wave never came ! I was sure I knew how many they had with them ! We kept in place till nigh on noon. Then we dared to break out of cover to check and see who these indians were. I had a mixture of blood , sweat and dust on my face as I broke cover, my braids hanging down on ether side.

I slowly walked out into the shallow river, checking each floating body for any signs of life. Bad form the ones floating face down, there wasn't.....Good for us ! I worked my way through the scrub brush to all the fallen Braves, rolled one over and looked into the rust looking face of a dead man. I looked at his skin...his war paint....I didn't recognize ,...so...I took my scalping knife out and went to work. As I worked my way back to the wagon, I felt some eyes watching me from afar. I turned quickly and saw another red man standing next to the woods that lead to the short grass. He was very hard to make out, but I could tell, he was red alright ! I took the arrow I had found in one Comanche's back, jerked it out, held it up for him to see and broke it across my knee. We would not be shaken from our our task, which was to find Bucky and Whiskey and plead for my job back ! Well, maybe not plead, but ask.

I got back across the river and went right to my horse, saying, "Saddle up....hitch up...we're movin' in 20 minutes !" Calico looked up at me as if to ask a question and I cut she short..."Not now Calico !" I walked back and started to saddle my Appy and MacAlister came up slowly to my right. One thing we both learned in the Mexican war is not to walk up hard and fast on a man who has just been in battle !

"You want to talk about it Hawk ?" Sam asked.

I pulled out the broken arrow and showed him, saying "What da hell is dis ? I knew ever tribe in dis country, dis I do not know ! So ifin' ya do, I'd like to know what we're up against !"

Sam MacAlister took the arrow and looked closely at it and handed it back to me, and I shoved it into my saddle bag, next to the dynamite sticks. " Don't have a clue Hawk, but I think it is Comanche so till we caught up to the herd, we best be looking over our shoulders." I agreed.

It was almost nightfall when we caught up with the herd. Calico felt good to be back home and Gloria went right back to her usual cooking.....keeping the coffee pots full and the whiskey under lock and key......and she had the key ! And she had her hand made cage of live grasshoppers. We went to look for Bucky but Whiskey showed up first. She had already talked with Calico and Gloria and Jesse and Pete rode off, to find Bucky for us. Whiskey slide her horse to a stop, jumped off and shouted "What the hell are you doing back here Hawk ? Ya didn't think we could get along with out ya ? My Paw was right to keep you on a lease....Ya mean assed Apache !" She had her bowie out and ready to come at me and I had mine out in self defense when Bucky came riding up !

"What is going on here ? Have both of you lost you're minds ? ! Put those away before someone gets hurt !"

"Not till she puts her knife away first ! Remember, it was I that taught her how to fight the Apache way with a knife ! Her first !" I said. He looked at Whiskey and cocked his eyebrow up the way that only Bucky could do and Whiskey did put the fighting knife away but not before she had drew her own blood on the blade then mumble something in french. "Who the devil are you ?" Buck said.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The moon had long set and the stars were but a memory when I saw movement on my side of the river, the comanche had circled around, something I had not figured on, but why? Why would they attack across the river? The drums brought my thoughts to the battle ahead,,I had to think quickly because the drumming was being drowned out by shouts, challenges and then howls, blood curldling howls. I had never heard a comanche howl, but it was like the first time you heard a wolf or a coyotee howl, you knew what it was and what it meant.

I had already decided that my firestick would be used only as a last resort, as it would most likely give away my location, to either the wagon or the comanche. The wagon and it's riders didn't know I was here, much less who I was. I slowly put my qwiver over my shoulder and pulled the first arrow from it, I smoothed the feathers as I admired them, my mother had taught me how to attach them and how to select the wood for the arrow. I added my own twists to the feathers, not by design, at first anyway, but with time I had found what worked best with the feathers of hawks. I rose to my knees, just barely able to view the frenzy that the comanches were working themselves into, it sent a shiver through my spirit. The comanches leaped upon their ponies and in one accord rushed toward the river. I thought the howls of the comanche were loud, but the explosion of gunfire from the wagon and the areas beside it made the howls of the comanche sound like the welps of a pup. One brave caught a round in the shoulder so hard he swung his pony towards my direction and at a full run through the edge of the river was looking for a way to safety, or whatever,,,, as he neared I drew my bow and sent the hawk feather arrow deep into his chest, the look of surprise on his face showed through his war paint, he managed to stay on his pony for a few steps but fell off into the tall grass between me and the river.. I could feel my blood boiling within me, my mother's blood I reasoned, or my father's hot Irish blood. It was amazing that the comache were able to withstand the continued fire from the wagon as long as they did,,,but one comanche caught my eye, his pony was as the autumn leaves, with the chest of a young buffalo, and as fleet as a hawk diving from the sky. He sat tall on his pony as if to defy all who he was attacking, as the others dropped around him he seemed bent on a straight on attack, instinctively I put down my bow, for it would be of no use, my hand found my firestick, all thought of discovery had now left my mind, in one smooth sweep it found it's way to my shoulder, my thumb found the hammer and brought it to full cock, my eyes never left the head of the comanche, it was as if it was turning into a mellon,,,as I squeezed the trigger I heard the thunder from my firestick, at the same time a thunderous amount of fire came from the wagon, the sound and smoke was like a summer storm, fire from the sky, then immediatly loud thunder followed by the smoke of the fire from the dry grasses. I watched as his head exploded and his body was thrown back into the river from the blasts from the wagon.

Then silence,,,,,like the silence of a great snowfall,,,,,nothing was moving....but the ponies of the comanche, riderless ponies. I took a deep breath and then began to shake,,it took some time before I was able to calm my spirit...I had only been part of something like this once before. When the young brave and I had killed the 4 whites and sent the other on a run, as they had chased the Fair One after she had discovered that her homestead and family had been bruned into the ground. It was a strange mixture of victory and sadness...and relief.

As my spirit calmed, my thoughts went to the Fair One, had she survived, was she hurt? Before long I could see movement around the wagon, I recognized the voice of the Kind One, tho it had a different tone to it, not anything as soft as the day that he brought the 3 steers to us. He began moving through the brush around their camp toward the river, at each comanche that he came to he would cautiously check for life, he found none in any of the braves, I watched as he lifted the scalp from one. He then started back toward the wagon circling through the brush, he found the brave that I had killed the night before with an arrow to his spine, he seemed to be locked into place for a time, then bent over and pulled my arrow from the brave's body, again he seemed locked in thought, suddenly he spun around and before I could hide myself he spotted me,,,,he held my arrow high, then brought it down and broke it over his knee. had he recognized me,,,,he did seem to realize i was no threat, maybe...I stepped back into the shadows as he went about his business, the others were quickly breaking camp, saddling their horses, hitching up the team to the wagon,,and,,,yes,,,there was the Fair One,,,,,with what seemed like another shadow,,,,,,within a short time the wagon was moving and with riders out ahead and riders behind they were moving out to the north....I watched them moving for a time when another movement caught my eye. It was the dark rider,,,he quided his pony throughout the battlefield, he didn't hesitate long and took a course slightly to the west and then north, again shadowing the wagon and it's riders.

I waited until he was out of sight before I came out of the shadows again. I first pulled my arrow from the chest of the brave that went down near me, then I pulled the braves from the river, better to feed the buzzards than to spoil the fresh water. I then rounded up the ponies of the comanches. My mother and father both knew of the value of the comanche pony, not only were they excellent stock, they were also well trained. I found the one that reminded me of the autumn leaves, I had a mind to take him for my own, but I had another plan for him.. the sun would soon be low, I decided to make my camp here at the river for the night, it would give the ponies rest, water, and time to calm, not to mention my own spirit. After I had hobbled the ponies I took my bow and stalked the river bank intil I came within range of a young buck drinking from the river, I sent an arrow threw his heart. After I had cleaned him and had given thanks, I carried him back the ponies, built a small fire and enjoyed the fresh meat. the stars welcomed the moon into the sky as I lowered my eyes, gave the Great Spirit my thankfulnesssssss.............

Sleep was a dear friend indeed, my spirit is again calm and eager for the new day. The ponies had been able to water and feed at will, but I hand fed each of them a handful of grain that I had painstakingly harvested from the tall grasses. I knew that this would help them to bond to me and make the day's travel. I gathered up the meat that I had left in the coals, meat that would now last for days, and packed it along with some fresh berries I had gathered along the river. With my pony loaded, I then unhobbled the comanche ponies, and sprang onto my pony start out to regain sight of the wagon and it's riders. I would be of no surprise if the wagon hadn't caught up with the herd by now, what with nearly a days head start. As I started out at a fast trot any doubt of catching the herd quickly went away as the fog lifts before a bright sun, the comanche ponies were earger to keep pace. the old trick of hand feeding them was paying off, time well spent.

I began to plan on how I was going to give the pony of autumn colors to the Fair One...this would not be easy....if possible at all...but I had plenty of time, well at least a full day of thought as I continued the trek to catch up to the herd... moving to the northeast to stay out of sight from the dark rider. My thoughts turned to him, was he a friend of the wagon's crew, most likey not, as he had not helped in the attack from the comanche. I quickly figured he was up to no good....what he was, he was patient. Well, for the time at hand, I would try to cut a path that kept me away from him. My mind quickly went back to thoughts of the Fair One.........ohh, she would look mightly fine on the autumn pony...yes she would, but how?????

" Sam MacAlister" he said, casting a glance at me. I returned it with a nod. "8th Missouri Cavalry, Confederate Staes of American, former Tejas ranger with Hawk and former scout for the 4th Calvary under the command of Colonel Randald MacKenzie,...at you're service, sir ."

"Well, by Gawd.....any man that is Confederate is welcome here, aint that right Whiskey ?" Bucky explained with an out reached hand.

Whiskey walked up, and put her hand forth, but Sam took it an pressed it to his lips...."Why.....Yes....Yes it is !" Whiskey said. After regaining herself went on to said, "Colonel, have the men around here are the ones that followed Hawk here.....You are safe.....amongest friends ! And I'll lose the "Colonel" references !"

"Come on to my tent !" Bucky said. We'll be camping here for the night. Don't want to run all the fat off these cows !" Bucky's attempt at humor didn't go the way he had intended on so he said, "I'll just shut my big mouth now and let my wife do the talking !" Bucky then produced three cigars, one for himself, one for MacAlister and one for me.

"Had a run in wif come injuns we think are Comanche braves back near the river last night. " Sam told Bucky as he drew deeply on his cigar. "I almost forgot what good cigar tasted like until I had one of you'res Bucky! "

Bucky frowned deeply with that news. They where just a days ride from the river and those Comanches could have hit them totally unprepared for them....scattered the herd with a great deal of lose of life. "Are you sure they where Comanche ?" MacAllister produced an arrow he had with him. Bucky then turned to me.....

"Remember when we had a run in with an unknown tribe bacxk when we first rode for the 1st Texas Cavalry, Hawk ?"

And I responded saying...."Oh...Ya said somethin' Bucky ? I tout ya where ajawin' to hear ya self ! Ifin' ya want ta talk to me, I recon ya best give me my old job back, at full pay, an what I say goes ?" Bucky looked at Whiskey as I took my stick and drew something in the dirt. Whiskey nodded yes.

"Ok Hawk.....You're back on as ramrod....What you say goes ! DEAL ! Now, was that Comanches we fought back then ?" Bucky asked, clearly losing his tempter with me.

I took a deep draw off his fine cigar and said, "Looked like it ! An maybe da same tribe but different band yeserday morn. Hard to say......But....." I saw I had everyone's attention, so I took a sip of this fine whiskey they always carried with them and said..."I found dis too !" I showed them the broken arrow shaft with hawk feathers on it. "When I was checkin' to see wif der whar any live Comanche back der, I saw him..da owner of dis arrow....just inside da tree line........same tattic da General Lee used. It aint Comanche folks ! Plus Black Dawg is back !" Bucky's face went white as a ghost !

"You too know this Black Dawg follow Bucky", Sam asked.

Bucky nodded and hung his head. Black Dawg got ahold of his younger brother. It was not pretty. Whiskey did her best to comfort him.

"First time we came across his trail was when we was riding fer da Tejas Rangers. Came across some sod busters. Nice folk, looked like. Paw and shot , hung an set afire ! Maw was dragged ta death behind a run away hoss after havein' her throat slit open... two daughters, one liked marry in age, oh I'd say 14 maybe, beat up pruty good, Black Dawg had his way wif her, din shot her in da forehead, da other one , he had his way wif her, din sent her out in da desert to die....baby brother....he skined him alive !" I said. "He' a hombre straight from hell an ifin gaven da change agin, I'll send him by der too !"

The silence in the tent was very thick so Whiskey cut it by pouring more that good homemade whiskey into my tin cup. I thanked her and she said, "Hawk, you never said where in Kanas we where taking this herd !" and I just smiled/ It really took them that long to see I lift out one vital part of the plan.

Bucky leaned in good and hard and while looking straight at me said, "Yeah MR HAWK.....Ya didn't say where in Kanas we where taking the herd too. There are a few railheads in Kansas but which one ? Which one pays the best Hawk ?"

Taking a deep hard draw off my cigar and blowing smoke rings in the tent's porch cover I said,...."Aint planning on telling ya lest till ya can figure out whar we're headin'. Dat way ifin rustlers hit an steal some of our hands, dey won't know nothin' ...Savvy ?" They all smiled and the tension eased quite a bit.

"Bucky, please git all da hands near da chuck wagon fer a spell.....tell ta have a parley wif 'em . " and Bucky nodded . Soon all the men where gather round. Jesse, Pete, Toby, Jim, and Roy. And I told them that Black Dawg had been seen in the area. "Keep sharp eye out now.....favors movin' in da shadows an strikin' at night or very early morn. Was ridin a fancy Mexican saddle...ifin ya see dis hombre, shot to kill,ok ! Now Toby, Jim and Roy....night hawk. Sing out ifin' ya see any movement out der ! Don't tackle it alone ! We'll relive ya in 4 hours, din we all git some rest. Now move out !" I said.

Bucky walked over to me as I was going to put some coffee in this whiskey, putting his arm around my neck he asked, "Gloria still cooking those grasshopper Hawk ?"

Smile chuckled just a bit and said "Yup.....and they are tasty Bucky !"

"I aint eatting no bugs Sam !" Bucky said.

I laughed and said to them all, "Don't look but dat one injun what shot dat strange arrow is on dat little hill on yur left rat now !"

I found the herd well before sunset, well at least from a distance. It was settled in a dry creek bed that streched for miles, with water holes every so often, a good spot that would help them keep the cattle from wandering much. It had been an easy ride up from the river, the ponies were well trained and stayed toghether nicely. Each time we came across green grass I would let them graze and only pushing on after they had eaten a spell. As we made our way toward the herd the more impressed I was with the autumn pony, but I had definate plans for him, and they didn't include me. I was having a hard time picking one out that I would keep, but I hadn't made my mind up yet. I made my way to the east of the herd behind a mound and hobbled the ponies again for the night.

I had given much thought during the day on how I was going to give the autumn pony to the Fair One. First of all I had to make sure that they knew that I was no threat. It would be a risk, but if all went wrong I was sure that the autumn pony would easily out run anything on four legs. I left my bow and firestick just below the crest of the mound and then made my way to the top and sat there facing the wagon and the many riders they had with them, and then I waited. I kept my eye trained upon the Kind One for I knew that he would be the one to spot me, if he hadn't already. Soon I cud see the rest of the riders trying to sneak a look in my direction. The sun was starting to set, but it was time for the first step in my plan. I stood tall and made my way back to the ponies, I selected a nice one and pulled it loose from the rest. I rubbed his face for a short time and then led it up the hill and once I reached the top I stopped and made sure that all were looking my way. I then started down the hill with the pony throwing it's rope before it and slapping his hind quarters as he went by me. He must have smelled water because he continued on a straight line for the wagon..I then turned and slowly walked back to the top, turn again to face the wagon for a moment and then slowly walked back to the ponies. There I made my camp for the night, I could see most all around me and I felt confident that the Kind One had gotten my message.

The stars were making their selves known and the moon was rising, and my spirit was at rest. After some berries, meat and fresh water I was ready to enjoy the stars dancing thru the sky...I would let the Great Spirit quide my way ........

When we finally met up with the herd, I went to tell Whiskey that Hawk and Gloria were back, with company. As I figured, she was furious! After greeting Gloria, she stalked off to confront Hawk. I took the opportunity to duck back into the supply wagon and change back into my buckskins, then washed my dress out, it had gotten filthy during the fight. And I was thinkin' I needed to wear it more often, maybe even make another one...

While Hawk and his friends were in Bucky and Whiskey's tent talking (I hoped they would all make it out alive!), I asked Gloria if she would come with me down to a little swimming hole at the base of a hill not far from camp. We knew better than to wonder far, but I was in desperate need of a bath, and I didn't want to go alone. Safety in numbers and all that....

When we got to the swimming hole, I let Gloria bathe first while I stood watch. When she was finished and had gotten re-dressed, I took off my buckskins and dived in. Oh, that water was cold!! But it was gonna feel good to get clean, and with that gambler friend of Hawk's hanging around, well, it just seemed like a good idea!

As I was scrubbing my hair real good, Gloria and I kept up the conversation we had started earlier, and I asked her "Gloria, what's it like...well...well, being with a man....you know....like, alone?" I could feel my cheeks starting to burn, but I didn't know who to ask, Whiskey obviously wasn't gonna be in the mood to talk anytime soon.

Gloria just giggled, saying "You really not know, do ya? Well, Senorita, you may be find out soon enough, an den you know!" By then she was laughing so hard she couldn't say much else.

Blushing, I finished rinsing off, then walked back up to the bank and started drying off. All of a sudden, I thought I saw something move off to my right. I slowly glanced over, and saw a brave standing on the hill, and he was staring straight at me! (What is with all these men starin' at me all of a sudden??) I could tell from his clothes and headband that he was Cheyenne, but something just didn't look right, he reminded me more of Colonel Hawk than he did my pa's old friend Black Kettle and his people. Then I realized, I still didn't have any clothes on!! I grabbed for my dress real fast, and that got Gloria's attention. She noticed the brave, and started to raise her rifle. I quickly reached over and pushed the barrel back down, shouting "NO! DON'T!"

The man started walking down the hill towards us, driving a pony in front of him. The pony took off trotting towards the wagons, but the man walked back up the hill, then turned at the top and looked back at us. I didn't think Gloria and I were in any danger as long as we didn't attack first. Gloria must not have agreed, as she started to argue with me. I just signaled her to be quiet for a minute, while I quickly pulled my dress back on. Then I turned to the man and gave a sign of greeting, and said "masetsestov," or welcome, in Cheyenne. He slowly nodded at me, and I think he was starting to say something, then he turned and quickly disappeared through the trees and down the other side of the hill. Just then I noticed that there was shouting coming from the camp!

I heard Hawk yell "Gloria, where is ya?" and at almost the same time I heard Whiskey and Bucky screaming "Calico, Calico!" I just grabbed Gloria's hand and told her "Run fer it, back to camp quick, we're in a heap o' trouble now!"

The moon was still in the sky when I awoke, I had rested well, but I don't think that is why I had awakened so early. The sight of the Fair One standing in the pool of water had danced through my thoughts all during the night.

I gathered my bow, got three of the ponies and mine and headed north for a short distance and then once well past the herd I dropped down to the creek bed, it wasn't long before I cud see the glimmer of the moon off of a pool of water. I slipped off my pony and quietly made my way closer, there were several deer watering, completely unaware of the danger that was approaching them. I sent an arrow into the closest one, the others didn't appear alarmed as I reached back for a second arrow, it too was sent into the heart of another deer, the others took a few steps, stopped and looked back at the other two, laying at the edge of the pool, one more arrow found it's way home as the rest of the herd disappeared into the darkness. I quickly cleaned the three deer and loaded them each upon a pony. Thru the darkness I led the ponies back to my camp and waited for the sun to rise. I enjoyed watching the stars disappear as the sun peeked over the horizon behind me. From my perch on top of the mound I heard pans starting to rattle as the squaw with wagon began to prepare breakfast for the men. As I spied the Kind One start to walk toward the fire I cried out with the sound of a hawk searching for food, he spotted me instantly as I stood there with the sun just starting to peek over the mound, I urged the three ponies with the deer on their backs toward the wagon. Perhaps the repayment for the 3 steers given in the past would be accepted.

I returned to the top of the mound and waited......my thoughts returning to what had happened the evening before, I had tried not to stare at the Fair One, the rifle of the squaw with wagon had sure gotten my attention, though I could not show it..I wasn't sure what went on in their camp that night, but the voices lasted long after the sun went down...

Made my way to this swimming hole, that was alone the holes that lined the dried creek bed. Just as I thought.....fresh tracks leading to the swimming hole and wet ones running back toward camp. And judging by the size of the tracks it had to be two women in our group. One was busying herself at trying to gut me. Good luck with that one. So that left the other two and I knew just who they where. But when I started to walk back to camp, I heard a noise behind me, so I knelt to see who it was. Why I did not draw my Dragoon, I do not know. And why after a short while I stood up, I do not know.

But there with me, in the dry creek bed was the Injun I had seen at the tree line. He was dressed as a Cheyenne warrior, that was plain , even in the dim light. He started walking toward me. Oh great, I thought, he was charging me and I did not have my fighting knife out. And yet neither did he. I just kept the pace as did he over the noisy gravel and sand. When we where face to face I could see he was different than the other injuns I had seen and fought in this country. I slowly reached out toward his check, and rubbed it. Much to my surprise he was a breed too and he smiled a bit when he saw I saw that !

I did not speak Cheyenne and he did not speak much English , as I mainly spoke Apache back in my part of the country, so we made sign. First, he held out an arrow, to show me, no threat and that he was the one that killed the Comanche. I looked at the arrow, hawk feathers, smooth as can be, shaft was long straight and hard. He produced another arrow, same in making but when he smelled the wood it seems like mesquite wood. That was one of mine and he gave it back to me. It was plain to see he has been trailing me for some time. Guess it was because he was a breed like me..

We made sign to each other and I did not understand his name so he asked me what my name was. I took the arrow of his and stroked the feathers on it. And he finally got my name.....Hawk ! I invited him to our to our camp to eat and he signed no. Then he signed that he called me the Kind One because of the cattle I had gave them when they where starving. I nodded I understood. Then I signed that the autumn pony was for the Fair One which was for Calico. He was struck with her and hard. So now Calico had two men varying for her attentions.

He signed he was leaving now but would be back tomorrow when he thought it was safe to do so. I asked him where he camp was and he made a walking sign and pointed over the small hill just inside the tree line. As he started to leave he reached out, slowly, and touched my cheek and then to his and signed that we where the same. I said to him...."Sinnata." He turned and smiled and said in english... "Apache.........Good Start !"

As I looked his way, I saw three Comanche ponies come running down toward me ,...each one was loaded down with a fresh killed buck deer. That was a welcome chance of beef stew or salt pork or rattlers and grasshoppers ! The beef was dried as it would cut into Bucky's and Whiskey's profits to slaughter one of their steers ! One buck went into the pot right off. Lord have mercy , it was good. the other two was kept till we could cut them up as jerky. Even though the hands did not seen the Cheyenne Indian that had sent it to us. they wanted to keep those ponies as ours. I put a stop to that in a hurry ! "No !" I said. "Dos poines aint ours ta keep ! In da mornin' I'll take 'em back !" Even Bucky and Whiskey came to the back to eat some of the fresh deer and Bucky wanted to keep the ponies, just like the hired hands but Whiskey quickly put him in his place ! To work for a women with a the beautiful face but a fiery temper is one thing, but I will not be married to one like that !

We made camp and then we feasted and Bucky went to the back of the wagon and broke out the fine whiskey for the hands. Sam, Jim and Roy had to ride nighthawk and then they could get there whiskey when they had finished Come sunup. But just when Calico and Gloria had thought they had gotten away with slipping out to bath, I started chewing butt. "What da hell whar ya tankin ? I know...Y'all whar not tanking ! Don't y'all know dis is hostile injun country here and y'all cood have got kilt an maybe got some other hands kilt tryin' ta come ta yur aid ! Y'all are just plain stupid ! No brains a tall ! Y'all are to remain here, rat side dis wagon still I say different ! Calico....Ya best learn how ta cook cause ya gonna be wif Gloria fer a long time ! And Gloria.....I cood send ya back da Ole Mexico.....un escorted !"

"Why don't you then Señor Hawk ! I am not afraid !" she fired right back .

And I said to her....."I know....an dat's what I a feared of !"

I got a bowl of stew and went to my bedroll and ate the tasty meal. Damned that women could cook !

Just before midnight, I slipped on my mocs and tied the ponies together. I told Sam I was going to take them back. The bucks on their backs where pay back for the steers....not these ponies. And I asked him to cover for me. I tied buckskin on each of their hoofs so not to make noise and lead them off. About 3:30 I found his camp. I hobbled each of the horses and stirred the fire just a bit and got a very small blaze going, not even enough to read by. But it was enough. I sat down on the moss and waited. In an hour he awoke and jumped up startled ! It was clear to him that I knew what it meant to be a breed and I was hiding with this herd and with Bucky and Whiskey as best as I could.

When he settled down, I offered up some rabbit I had killed earlier that night and had on the spit cooking over that little flame, and he took it . I was pleased when his eyebrows went up and he smiled and nodded his approval. Then he heard one of the horses calling to him, he was so surprised to see them back. I also told him the vision was very good and very one ate well, including the Fair One. He looked a little blushed when I said that. I signed to him that her name was Calico. He smiled greatly. So I signed to him I must be getting back now and Thank You very much for the fresh meat. He told me I was welcome and before I left said , "Name.......He who travels two roads !" in broken english. I smiled and said....."Hawk !" and he nodded and returned my wave as I walked out of his camp.

Dammit! How dare Hawk talk to me like that! And to order me to stay with the chuck wagon, he had no right to do that, I worked for Whiskey, not him! Besides, I knew how to handle myself out here... I knew that brave we had seen was no threat, heck, the pony had obviously been meant as a gift to the camp, and no tribe I knew of gave gifts to people they intended to attack. But, I decided it would be a good idea not to argue, at least for now.

When daylight came, I helped Gloria as best I could with breakfast, then went to find Whiskey. I asked her if I had to ride in the chuckwagon during the day, or if I could keep riding my mare. She just looked at me for a minute, like she had to think about it, then said "Go ahead and saddle up, just stay close to the wagons until Hawk calms down a little. There's been enough arguing lately. And no more unauthorized side trips!"

We got ready to move out, but had to wait for Hawk to give the order. While I was waiting, that gambler feller came over and asked if I needed any help with my horse. Told him "Nope, I am capable of doing it myself, thank you very much! And I'm more capable of taking care of myself than anyone wants to give me credit for...."

He just smiled, and said "Oh, I'm sure you are, don't mean I still wouldn't mind the chance to give you a hand. Once we get moving, do you mind if I ride with you a spell?"

Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have company, Gloria and I couldn't very well carry on a conversation while she was driving the wagon, not unless I wanted to ride with her. I started talking to him, and pretty soon I found myself telling him about growing up in Colorado Territory, before the gold rush started and ruined everything, and how I had come to work for Bucky and Whiskey. But for some reason, he didn't seem to want to talk much about himself, and I couldn't figure out why. It's not like I couldn't tell he had made his living as a gambler, I wasn't that naive. And there was worse things he could have been involved in, it wasn't in me to pass judgment on people who had done me no wrong.

But even though he didn't say much, he did keep smiling at me, and didn't seem to have any interest in joining the other hands in moving the herd. That other fella, Sam, had offered to help scout if needed, and help with the horses if not. This Buick fella just seemed to want to hang around me.....

As soon as I could get a chance, I needed to have a nice long talk with Whiskey, maybe she could give me some advice, as I had no clue what to do if a man decided he wanted to come courting......

I watched as the herd moved out, I was in no hurry as it was wasy to keep pace with it. Besides, I needed to think about what had taken place during during the past evening and night. Hawk, was the Kind One's given name, and Calico was the Fair One's given name, but I wasn't so sure about using Calico, Fair One described her far better. I tended my herd of ponies, still confused as to why Hawk had returned the ponies. I really don't have much need for 13 ponies, the plains gave me all I need. Hawk knew that I intended to give the autumn pony to the Fair One, but I would let that one figure itself out. I pulled my glass from it's pouch and looked for the wagon thru the dust, there it was, with the Fair One riding along beside it, and beside her was that "other shadow". I lowered the glass as my stomach began to knot. As I stared out across the plains behind them, there it was again, that glitter in the sunlight! I raised the glass to my eye once again, the dark rider was still trailing the herd too. I rose and began to prepare the ponies for today's travel. I wanted to try to get closer to the dark rider but with the ponies that wouldn't be possible. As the day wore on I kept a close eye on the dark rider, a first I wasn't sure, but I was sure now that the dark rider was indeed getting closer to the herd. I started pushing the ponies and they willingly responded effortlessly.

The day wore on, past dinner time, which was good, like always , and the herd grazed as well as the horses as we went. Just about supper time, I noticed the sky was getting darker earlier than normal. And the cattle and horses where getting round up.

Jim came up to me and said "Boss, are ya thinkin' what I'm thinkin' ?"

"Yup...shore am ! " I said. and shot a look along the tree line. I was wondering if the Cheyenne warrior would come down and ride the storm out with us. There was a real danger of those pines being blow over.

"How long we got before it hits us Boss ?" Jim asked.

I sighed and said " Don't know....maybe couple hours, tops. Fetch me Macalister at da double time Jim ! And bring up da rest of da crew !" When I had them all together, Sam stepped over by me and I said, "Got a big blow com in.....bout two hours out at best. Me and MacAlister has been through a few of 'em out on the desert. He's wif me on dis storm, ifin' he says do something, it's just like comin' from me ! First thin' we need to do is git dim hosses, tied up an hobbled when ya can !"

Sam spoke up and said, " Too many cattle than we can handle ! Concentrate on those horses ! Get them secure and then go for cover ! Ya aint got long and there are a lot to do now go !"

The crew had everything done expect putting up a shelter, so Bucky and Whiskey came running out to the chuck wagon to help. Now had a lean to but the wind was whirling around and the rain was whipping in on the open side from time to time. I pulled MacAlisted aside and said, "Sam.....ya think it's gonna blow out or move on ? " as the rain was still falling so hard one didn't want to be out in it..

"Just worried about the back axle on the chuck...could sink in this soft ground and we'll have a hell of a time digging it out. By Gawg Hawk, this is bad !" Sam said, looking out of the lean too and across the land scape. We both saw the trees sway and hear them crack and wondered how many cattle we would lose because they will not come out of the trees.

"Well...aint nothin' do agin taday, might as well set down ta breakfast and git a game of cards goin'. " I said and with a wicked smile on my face I looked at Sam and said, "Ifin' memory serves...Ya still owe me ten dollars !" and I bumped his elbow with mine as I walked toward the cooking fire.

"Now just a damn minute Hawk....where did you come up with ten dollars ! Least I thought of it , it was seven dollars !" Sam said.

The storm didn't let up for the whole day.Me and the crew took turns on checking the horses and walking around the chuck wagon, making sure everything was in place...not watered down. Gloria came around with the last of her famous fried grasshoppers. Most of the crew took some, and just a few didn't take any. So Gloria broke out something she had been saving for such times as this...sugar ! These times are hard on men like our hired hand. They needed to be doing something and there where times temps where known to go high. But the sugar kept that from happening.

On this morning, I woke after not hearing the rain falling. And I got dressed told Sam, let the men sleep hour longer. They earned it, then shake them up. Horses most likely are gone, so I'll see ifin' I can find 'em....Be back fore breakfast !"

Swung my saddle over my shoulder , along with my horse blanket and walked out to where the horses where tied and my Appy was tied up. Along with the three Comanche war ponies that had brought the fresh meat to us ! I loosed the hobbles after I saddled up and followed the trail of the horses. As I thought they where headed for fresh water, and fresh grazing . In the some what of a valley, they found both. I dis mounted and went to each horse , at least all that where out of the woods, and let it smell my hat . And that was enough to get them to do what I wanted and I headed them back to my crew. Pete and Toby would be glad to see them, for they ainted to walk anywhere !

I headed them back up this little hill and as I did, Roy said to Sam, "Boy,,,,,Hawk sure can cowboy don't he ?" And Sam replied,

"They broke the mold with him ! Ever be another like him !" Roy didn't know what to think of that and that is just what Sam wanted him to think. Then men where glad to get their horses, most of them didn't like to walk, but like I said, Pete and Toby would ride across the street instead of walk ! I dis mounted and got a plate of hot breakfast , which I ate like a man that was starved and just barely sipped on the coffee. Then I said to Sam, "Ya remember dos Comanches we fight back at the river ?" Sam, sipping his coffee nodded yes, he did. "We we got a Cheyenne Warrior that I talked to, what has been shadowing us....well....he gave us tree of der ponies !"

"What do ya plan to do with them Hawk ?" Sam asked.

I sipped my coffee and said, "Don't rightly know Sam . Look like rat fine mounts. Maybe ya should go look at'em too." I said throwing my coffee out and asking Mother Earth for forgiveness. Sam rode out to look them over with me and he liked what he saw. And he smiled !

the ponies told me the storm was brewing before I saw the cloulds on the horizon, I pushed the ponies harder, it dint take long to catch the herd and find a safe spot to ride it out. I took several skins that had been treated with bear grease and make a quick shelter, and then hobbled the ponies for the night. Just before the storm hit I glassed the area on the other side of the herd, nothing,,but then the sun had lost its' glare. I glassed the wagon and herd, they were scurrying like ants trying to get ready for the storm, they quickly hobbled their horses ans stored their gear and then retreated into their cover. I saw the Fair One spend the last few moments before the storm patting the face of her pony and giving it a cube of sugar and an apple. she made it under cover just as the storm hit.

The silence awakened me, the storm had passed and nothing was left of it other than the drops of water rolling off the skins above me. The moon had showed itself once again, though it was making it's final dip into the western horizon. I checked my ponies and found them safe, though there were many small branches all around, none had found the ponies. I walked out to where I could see the wagon and the herd. The herd had scattered some, but I couldn't see their ponies anywhere, maybe one here and there but none together as they should be. I turned back to my ponies and pulled the three out from the others and led them to where the ponies from the herd should have been. I hobbled them there with the ropes that the men from the herd had used to tied theirs. As I walked back to my camp I tried to count the ponies that hadn't run off too far, seem to be some missing, but just before I made my camp a brown spot caught my eye, at first I thought it might be a deer, but no, it wasn't moving and it was on the ground..as I neared it, I realized that it was the Fair One's pony. A branch had fallen on it and broken it's back, my heart sank for I knew the pain of losing a pony. It's eyes hadn't glassed over yet and I cud see it's chest still heeving, My heart sank lower as I came to grips with what I would have to do,,,,my hand found my knife and drew it from it's sheath, I put my hand on it's forehead and asked the Great Spirit to forgive me and to give me strength. Then as tears ran down my cheeks, with a swift move I sliced it's neck....I knelt there a while as I had no desire for much else...........

I heard the painful whiny off a horse in the near distance but I was too busy rounding up the run aways, so I decided to go search the woods near where I heard the cry and look for steers at the same time. I came riding up the hill, making as much noise as possible because I knew the shadow indian was there some where. I was not used to this country as the desert flat lands was my home. And that was in the grasslands below.

Rode through the trees, looking for lost cattle and then I saw it, Calico's pony laying on the wet ground, a large limb across his back, and it looked like it's back was broken. It's neck was cleanly and neatly cut open. The animals blood ran out onto the pine needles and pin oak leaves. I thought the indian had been kind as to not let it suffer and I saw a big chuck cut out of it's left hind quarter . I knew what the shadow indian was doing with it, and after I had ridden a horse to death, I did the same ! He was just making us of what Mother Earth had given him.

I rode on, making as much noise as I could, just to let him know I was coming , but he alway knew that as he was standing there, waiting for me. I stepped down and walked over to him, but my horse balked about midway. My horse could smell death and horse flesh on this brave ! I stroked his muzzle saying to him in Apache that I was not going to let the shadow indian harm him and he seemed to settle down a bit.

As I walked up to him, his hand was full of berries he had fresh picked and he offered me some. Signing no that my belly was full, I motioned to his rifle that was leaning against a tree, loaded, but not cocked. He took it, and with great pride, handed it to me. Indians almost never surrender their weapons with out a fight, unless there was trust between them, so this was a sing he trusted me. I looked the weapon over. 54 cal, Sharps sniper rifle. He could hit a man and lift him clean out of the saddle and his boots at the same time ! I gave it back to him and then I pulled mine out of the scabbard. 1806 Henry repeater , 44-40 cal, and it too was loaded. I guess we both assumed that travel around with an unloaded gun is just as fool hearty as traveling this country without one ! I levered it several times, catching the shells before they hit the wet ground, and he was amazed at how many rounds it could hold before reloading !

He returned the rifle to me and as I loaded it he made me know something I had know for a long spell now. Some one was following us ! I thought maybe 3 or 4 Comanche scouts, but he only held up one finger ! He signed to me that he had called him the "Dark One" if he called him anything ! He said he had been tailing us and the herd as the day we left. "BLACK DAWG !" I said out loud and he nodded....."Dawg !" he said . It was clear to see he was not comfortable with Black Dawg following us because it also made it clear that while us men could defend ourselves asginst him, he was clearly worried about the Fair One.

I just laughed and told him that he need not worry...Calico was as mean as any rattle and twice as tuff. He didn't seem to see the humor in it. And he signed to me that if Black Dawg tryed anything asaginst her, he would left the safety of the forrest and come riding to her defense ! And he was not smiling when he said that ! I nodded to him and stuck my hand out.....looking funny at it, he took my forearm and in broken english said....."Friend !" I nodded and said "Friend !" also. He signed that there where some cattle in the pines here and there, but I thought I would let them go as breeding stock for further drives !

I left him and rode toward the chuck wagon that was clearly having a hard time rolling along with it's heavy load of supplies on board. Had the dirt been dryer, it would have been harder, but it was sinking in the soft rain soaked soil and when it stopped it sank deep. I rode out and found Jesse and Pete, who was riding drag and told them ,"Boys....do I have a job fer ya two ! Feller me !" When we got back the wagon was sinking fast so I told them to tie their horses to the tail gate and commence to pushing !

"Now why da hell did ya want us to do dat fer ? Up at midnight to nighthawk and now this ?" Pete protested.

"Yeah Boss....don't seem like we should be the ones back here ! Why you picked us anyway ?" Jesse asked.

"Cuz y'all are young an stronger din dis other fellers ! Not too savvy, but stronger ! Now..."I pointed to the wagon...."Git ta pushin' or she'll sink even deeper !"

After the storm had moved off, I did what I could to help Whiskey and Gloria check the wagons for any damage. The supply wagon had a bit of a tear in the canvas, not bad, but it needed fixin' right away so it wouldn't get any worse. I fetched my sewing kit, and proceeded to get to work. While I was doing that, I saw Hawk ride off, and figured he had gone to look for the horses. By the time I was done, he had come back, and had a couple of the hands checking the horses out, looking for injuries. But I didn't see my palomino's golden coat there anywhere.....

Hawk hadn't said anything to me since he had yelled at me for going to the swimming hole, but this time he was going to answer my question, and I wouldn't take no for an answer! I went over and planted myself right in front of him, and asked "Did you see Sundance anywhere? If not, where haven't you looked yet? I know you don't want me leaving camp, so you can just go with me, but I gotta go find her!"

Hawk didn't seem to want to look me in the eye, and he sighed and said "Come for a short walk with me, we need to talk". "We don't need to talk, we need to go find Sundance! She could be hurt, or just scared, but I have to find her!"

He finally looked straight at me, and growled "Fine, have it your way! I'm gonna jus give it to ya straight, there ain't no reason to go lookin' for her, she's gone."

"What do you mean, she's gone? She couldn't have gotten very fair in that storm....." then I saw the sympathy reflected in his eyes, something I didn't think he was capable of. All of a sudden, I understood what he was getting at, and I could feel the tears starting to build up. I had a feeling there was more to it that he wasn't telling me, but I didn't want to ask. I just wanted to get as far away from him as I could before I started to cry. That's something no one but my pa had ever seen me do, and I wasn't about to let Hawk of all people see it now! I had been there when she had been born, and my pa had given her to me for my own almost immediately. We had been through hell together, that mare and I, and I felt like I had just lost the very last member of my family.

All I could think about was being alone, so I could let the tears flow......

I watched as the Hawk rode off, grateful to the Great Spirit for the friendship with Hawk. The wagon and herd were slowly trying to head out, but the mud from last night's rain was deep and thick and seemed to grab at each wheel. I caressed the autumn pony's face and told him, now is the time. I reached down into my things and pulled out a leather pouch that I had not opened for many moons. I took it with me as I got my pony and the autumn pony and headed for the wagon. As I drew near I let out the screech of the hawk to get Hawks attention. The two men pushing the wagon turned around quickly and began to draw their sidearms, the Fair One saw their intention and screamed, nooooooo,,, he's a friend, I could tell that they wern't sold on the idea, but slowly put their side arms away. I slid off my pony as the Fair One walked towards me, I gave her the leather pouch and motioned for her to open it, she slowly pulled out the doll that I have a saved from her buring house. She stared at it for a short time and then burst into tears. by then others had ridden up and I could feel the stares and I knew that many guns were pointed at me. The Fair One looked up and seeing we were surounded and almost everyone had a gun pointed at me, she held up her doll, and softly said, no, no, you don't understand, this is all I have left of my home. I saw the wagon squaw wipe a tear from her eye as she lowered her rifle, that rifle that I new all too well. I pulled the autumn pony up beside me and gave the lead to the Fair One. She didn't want to take it, but I slowly lowered my head, but all the while keeping my eyes fixed on hers. She wiped the tears from her eyes and softly said thank you,,,,friend. I slowly stepped back, turned and walked through the circle as it opened for me. Once I cleared it I saw Hawk, we nodded and I continued walking back to my camp. In the distance I heard Hawk yelling at the men, what are you all standing around for,,,,,get that wagon moving, and Calico, I wouldn't try putting a saddle on your new pony just yet......

"I don't need no durn saddle, Hawk, rode bareback for years before I ever had one!" I snapped at him. "I'm gonna see how he rides, and you ain't stoppin' me!" And still holding my doll, I leaped onto the pony's back and was gone before Hawk even had a chance to react. I rode until I was sure the others in the camp couldn't see my face any more, than I slowed the pony down, and let him start to graze, tears pouring down my face like a waterfall.

Growing up out on the high plains, we didn't have a whole lot besides the barest of necessities. Until the gold rush started, and the settlement of St. Charles (now called Denver) went up , it was at least 5-6 days ride from our place to the nearest town, so we rarely had store-bought things. Pa only made that trip a couple of times a year, and mainly concentrated on bringing home the supplies we couldn't make for ourselves. But one year, he had managed to sell off quite a few horses to an Army troop that had gone by our ranch, so on his next trip to town he had brought home presents for us girls, three dolls that were the only toys we ever had. I had carried that doll everywhere with me for years, even on hunting trips that we made with our Cheyenne friends and Arapaho neighbors. They thought it was strange, but must have just chalked it up to us being different.

I couldn't figure out how that brave had come to have my doll, and how he knew which one had been mine, as opposed to Margaret's or Theresa's. I also couldn't figure out why he had given me the pony, but I was thankful for it. He rode like a dream, didn't really respond to me as well as Sundance had, but I knew he just needed time to get used to me, and me to him. I'd have to really think about what I wanted to name him. At least I wasn't gonna be stuck riding in the chuckwagon!

The chuckwagon, that made me think about Bucky and Whiskey, Hawk and Gloria, the hands, that gambler Buick, and the drive north. They didn't really need me, and getting my doll back made me realize that I didn't belong here, my home was in Colorado Territory, and it was time to go home and fight for what was rightfully mine! As Pa's only living relative, the homestead was legally mine, and those white neighbors were just gonna hafta accept the fact that I was going to take it back! I wasn't scared of any of them, I could handle myself, though it would probably be a good idea to hire a couple of hands I could trust to be loyal. I couldn't ask Jesse and Pete to go with me, Bucky and Whiskey needed them, but maybe they would pass the word in any towns they went through, to see if they could find me someone dependable and willing to move west. If that Buick fella was all that interested, he could make his way to Colorado and find me there. I had made up my mind, I was going home!

I rode back to camp, and went to find Bucky. "Sir, it's been a pleasure working for you and Whiskey, but ifn' you don't mind, I'd like to collect my wages. I'll be moving on in the morning," I told him. He tried to argue with me, and when Whiskey saw this she came running and also tried to talk me out of it, but my mind was made up. First thing in the morning, me and that pony was heading west!

As I continued my walk towards my camp I heard the Fair One respond to Hawk that she didn't need a saddle, as I turned I watched as she swung up on the autumn pony's back, let out the scream of an eagle and took off across the plain. She rode that pony as well as anyone I'd ever seen, so well in fact that I knew the comanche that had been on him would be pleased. She continued on for a spell and then brought the pony to a sliding stop, whew I said to myself,,,those two were meant for each other.

The herd didn't make it far that day, with the late start and the mud, you could look at each man and tell that they were thoroughly exhausted. I made camp closer than usual that day for I knew that they now trusted me, well, mostly anyhow. Hawk and the others had been talking for a while, I could tell that something wasn't just quite right. After a while the Fair One and the woman with the shiny black hair hugged each other. The wagon squaw came over to them and they all three hugged for a time. I could see them wiping their eyes, but I had no ideas as to what was going on. Suddenly Hawk spun around, swung upon his pony bareback and on a dead run headed straight for me. He slid to a stop just before me and in one motion slid off the pony right where I was standing. I must say, that I was in awe of his skill with his pony. He frantically started to sign something, but the more confused I looked the more frantic he got. After I thought he had struggled enough I smiled and with my palms down I lowered them from about shoulder height and softly said, shhhhh, it's alright Hawk, I can speak the white man's tongue, very well. He stepped back, at first I could read the instant anger, he pulled his knife, then suddenly he began to laugh, took his knife and made a slight cut across his right wrist, I took my knife and did the same, we put our knives away in unison and brought our wrists together. Brother, we spoke as one.

A look of concern entered his eyes, then he spoke, the Fair One, Calico, is heading out in the morning, she's returning to her ranch in the Colorado Territory. I motioned for Hawk to sit, I then told him how I had seen her family killed by the townspeople for being friendly to the tribes around them. I told him why I had been shadowing her since then, and......that I too would be leaving. I asked him to tell her that I would be going too and that the 9 ponies that I still had from the comanche would be a fine start for her. One more thing, I hesitantly said, would you ask her what she would have me do, to continue to ride in the distance as I had been doing, or if I could ride with her. Hawk, smiled and said, deal. In the morning if she rides out without stopping she wants you to follow at a distance, if she starts out and then stops and looks back to the camp, well, then that will mean it's ok to ride with her. With that Hawk slipped onto his pony and in the same way he came he left...

It was going to be a LOOOOOONG night.....

I hated having to say that to Calico but I think her spirit was just too hut over the loss of that horse. I din't know why and most likely would not believe it if I heard it. All I knew, from other sources was her family got burned out, and killed but she survived somehow, And that pony was the last thing she had that tied her back to her kin until He who travels two roads, gave her the doll she used to play with as a child. If he had been following her this long, he must be a self appointed guardian of her. Ether way, this was their moment and I was not going to interrupt until it had ended.

And I tried to tell Calico to throw a blanket on that pony before she took off on it ! But she is such a damned hard head and rode off to where the Creator only knew. I wasn't worried about Calico bottom, I was worried about that pony'e back ! Guess I would just have to put my foot down and explain to her I was the Ramrod on this herd, not her, and she had to do what I told her to do with in reason. But then, I think I had to cut her some slack seeing how the only kin she had feel in this world was now dead.

I walked up to Bucky's and Whiskey's tent as we had stopped for the night. There was a heated exchange coming from Calico and nothing from Whiskey or Bucky. "Request permission ta enter, sir !" I said.

To which Bucky replied...."Yur not in da Cavalry any more Hawk.....Git in here....what do ya need ?"

"Could not help be ta over hear...Calico....gal....yur pullin' out come morning ?" I asked.

To which Calico replied.....Ya heard right Hawk.....Leavin come sun up, if that's all right with you Whiskey."

"Hate da break up dis little saw-a, but Bucky and Whiskey here owns da cattle.....I hire an fire.....an control payroll !" I could see Calico and Whiskey for that matter getting redder and redder and knew I had to think fast or I too would be out of a job.....again !

I drew a deep breath and said....."Yu'll need gold coin ta git started agin Gal....ta buy horses tack an shoes an such. Goit anybody ta break da new hosses borned in da spring ? I didn't think so !" I said. I folded my arms and said, "Calico...Ifin' ya stay on wif us....Once we git ta Rome, Kansas...I'll give ya my wages....no questions asked ! BUT " I said...."Ya got ta stay an ya got ta ride herd just like dim over men do....an not be so damned saucy ! Is it a deal or no ? What say ya ?" I said. I pressed her for an answer as I didn't want her and Buick to ride off. Buick has made his intentions clear that he is gonna ask for her hand sometime and he would follow her no matter where she went. As I was sure Jesse and Pete would follow too !

Calico looked around the tent, Bucky, then slowly turning to Whiskey then slowly turning to me. And she was redder than before ! I thought she was going to bust a gut ! You could tell she was really mad at me, but I had just made her an offer she could not refuse !

Bucky said, "Hawk....you sure you want to do that ? I think we can cover if she goes home !"

"Ya want to lose her an maybe half the men ya paid to push dim cows all da way der, then ya might as well camp rat here and ride to da newt town... git some men dat are down and out of luck at cards, drunks an such, try ta git dim ta work as a team, cover da other man an not cut an run under a gun fight, cuz I don't need ta remind ya dis is some hostile injun territory , an still drive dim cows ta Kansas, din go head. But ya can do it wif out me ! "

"How bout it Calico....we got a deal or no....no hard feelins' either way ." I asked.

"I'll let ya come morning Hawk !" Calico said.

Then Whiskey spoke up....."Calico, if you will stay hon....I'll double you're wages ! You will be the first to get payed off after we sell the cattle !"

Calico turned and now her red face was white and tear stained. "Whiskey, can I at least think on it over night ? This is a lot to think over ! I need time to decide." And Whiskey nodded yes.

Calico then turned to me and opened the tent flap saying, "Ya heard da boss lady. " And Calico walked out, not quite as certain in her steps as she had walked in.

Then she stuck around to hear what was said next.

"Do you really think she would take Buick and Jesse and Pete with her if she rode out, Hawk ?" Bucky asked.

"Just as shore as da sun will raise in da east Bucky ! Der just as loyal to her as a lap dawg !" I said.

Whiskey chimed in asking, "And what if Black Dawg catches up with her...then what ?"

We all looked at each other and I , at long last said, I said "Ifin' she leaves, I recon she will just have ta run dat risk, we'll have our hands full just tryin' to keep da herd from stampedin' !

As I lay and waited for sleep to come to me I was amazed by the stars, their glimmer seemed brighter than any other time. The moon had just cleared the horizon, it was full, bright orange, and it seemed close enough to reach out and touch it. I slowly driffted off to sleep and dreams that were first bright and then without warning would turn dark. The Fair One riding the autumn pony with her long golden hair streching out behind her....then just as suddenly the dark rider would burst into sight, with fire and smoke belching from his sidearms, this continued throughout the night,,,,I awoke several times, each time disapointed that the moom still hung high in the sky.....

For four decades Sam McAlister had fought the Comanche and Kiowa. Starting as a yonker on the Clear Fork of the Brazos he'd blown his first warrior out of the saddle as he led his Pa's brood mares out the corral gate. After that there were countless forays into the Comanche domain near the Llano Estacado to recover stolen stock, captives, or to extract pure, simple revenge. Later there would be scouting and further fighting with MacKenzies 4th Cavalry at Blanco River and Palo Duro. Even so he'd admired the Comanche for his simple and demanding code which boiled down to "nobody can tell you what to do if you don't like it". Damn if that didn't make a lot of sense!

Sam scanned the sage filled landscape before him knowing that his position was critical to keeping their left flank protected. As soon as false dawn appeared silence came with it and a half dozen warriors screamed like banshees with their britches on fire and bore down on him. Sam screamed, "By god, ya sons of Satan I'll take you with me"! He levered the Henry like a demon possessed and five were blown away or badly injured. Only one remained and he was a snot nosed youth of maybe 13 carrying a saw-off needle gun which he threw up and aimed at Sam.

Seemingly suspended in time Sam briefly saw a cloud of white smoke and then the terrible hammer of a 50 caliber slug slamming into his chest. "Holy keeerist, I let a yonker get me, a damn yonker!"

Youngun or not he'd kill anyone just like he'd been trained to do and with Sams last burst of energy he drew a bead on the Comanche with his pistol and blew him into eternity. "Yep, thats enough of that one", he stammered but with a grin. Knowing that he'd done his damndest to protect the others, Sam slid into the eternal blackness. There was no going back and that he realized...a 50-70 through the lungs meant death whether buffler or a human being. Just as he slipped away he murmured "Who in blue-eyed hell woulda thought I'd end up in Kansas!"

After I left the tent, all I wanted was to be alone, and think about what Hawk had said. Durn his hide anyway, how dare he refuse to pay me until the herd got to Kansas! I hated admitting that he was right but he was, I would need money for rebuilding, and well, I only had a little over $3.00 to my name, and that wouldn't be enough. If I left without my wages, I'd need to come up with another idea for raising some cash, and fast. As I was walking off to find a place to think, I noticed that all the hands and Gloria were sitting around the fire, and Jesse and Pete were waving me over to join them. Oh well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a cup of coffee with them, it wasn't like I was gonna get much sleep anyway and it might be my last chance to hang out with my friends.

When I got to the fire, Jesse and Buick scooted farther away from each other, and made room for me to sit between them on the log they were using for a seat. Gloria handed me a tin cup of coffee, then Buick pulled out a bottle and said "Care for a little of this in your cup too?" Well, I had never really drank liquor before, but I knew the boys enjoyed it, so I figured a little wouldn't hurt me, and let him pour me some. Gloria asked me what had happened in the tent, so I told em' all about Hawk's offer, and how I really needed to think about whether or not I was gonna stay, or go through with my plan to leave. I told them, "I appreciate that Hawk's finally willing to let me help with the herd, but it's not like he really needs me to all that bad..."

Pete piped up at that point "That mean you ain't gonna be doin' any more cookin', right?" and started grinning. "No Senor," Gloria replied "I not let her anywhere near tha chuck no more!" and everyone laughed! Well, everyone except Buick, he just looked thoughtful, and poured some more of his whiskey into my cup. Boy, it sure burned going down, but I had to admit it did taste good!

At that point, Barnes spoke up, "Well, Calico, you may not understand Hawk's reasoning, but I do. We've been seeing signs of some war parties to the north, and while they may be Comanche, we are heading into Kiowa territory, it's more likely to be them. And you're the only one outta this bunch that can speak any Kiowa, that could come in handy for getting us through their lands in one piece!"

"If there's Kiowa war parties in the area, it's most likely Satanta and his bunch. I have met him, and he won't be easy to deal with. The government has been trying to force the Kiowa onto a reservation, and some of them, including Satanta, Guipago, and Ado-ete, ain't real happy bout it! If we do come across him, I just hope he remembers my pa, Mathew Meier, otherwise I'm afraid I won't be much help."

As I was talking, I noticed that Buick had poured still more of that whiskey in my cup, and I also noticed that he was starting to put his arm around me! I was starting to feel funny, all light-headed and warm, and I wasn't sure if it was him or the whiskey that was doing it.....He leaned over and whispered to me "I hope you'll decide to stay, but if you do leave, I'm going with ya!"

Well, I sure started blushin' then! It felt kinda strange, but in a good way, to have this man want to be with me. At the same time, I was starting to get the feeling that that Cheyenne brave who had given me my doll and the pony was kinda interested in me as well. Why else would he have done all that, and followed me all the way here? I wasn't sure what to do about that, I wasn't used to having any man interested in me, much less two of them! I really needed to talk with Whiskey about that, and soon....

It was getting late, so we all decided to turn in for the night. I had some trouble getting up off that log, my legs just didn't seem to want to work right for some reason, and once I did get up, I seemed to be having trouble walkin' straight.....but I finally made it to my bedroll, and laid down. Buick threw his bedroll down next to mine, gave me one last smile, then drifted off to sleep. I really wanted the chance to think things through, but for some reason just couldn't concentrate.....

Next thing I knew, Hawk was shaking me awake, saying "Hey gal, ya made up yur mind yet?" I opened my eyes to look at him, and just as quickly I shut them again. When did the sun get that durn bright, just how late was it??

"Fine Hawk, you win, I'll stay, at least fer a while. But ya gotta quit screamin' at me!" I begged.

"Calico, I ain't screamin' at ya," was his confused reply.....

The moon was low in the sky and all was still as I walked the camp. In the distance the faint glow of false dawn appeared then all hell broke loose. Comanche came at us from three sides. One must have jumped the gun, would've made more sense to surround us first. Bucky, Hawk and the hands fought them on two sides. I heard the report of a repeater as I ran to defend our left flank. I saw Sam McAlister levering that Henry so fast that the spent shells danced in the air above him at one time, him sending five Comanche to their creator before catching one to the chest. Still, he drew a pistol and hit the one that killed him before taking his last breath.

Still they came, managed to dispatch five more with my scatter gun, they got that close. A bullet almost hit home for me but just barely sliced a trail across my right cheek. The raid did not last long before we managed to repel our attackers, but hell seems to last forever when you’re in the middle of it.

We suffered one casualty that night, Sam McAlister. There were a few minor injuries, nothing to lay anyone low though. Gloria tended minor wounds for the hands, stiches and such. I took Bucky and Hawk to where Sam lay to retrieve his body for burial, but he wasn't there! I saw that 50 caliber slug hit him in the chest. I saw him, he was dead and gone! But all that was left was a bloodstain on the ground, next to it a Henry and .44 Colt. We searched but never found him. I brought the rifle and pistol back with me to camp, still have both.

The screams of the comanche awakened me just as the dark rider was riding thru my dreams, I grabbed my bow and ran to the edge of the trees to get a view of what was going on. The attack had come on the far side of the camp. I heard 5 rapid fire shots like I had never heard before, then a single heavy shot, followed by a much lighter shot. Then all kinds of commotion broke loose, more comanche screams, I saw the fire from the barrels of the men in the camp, followed by heavy smoke. I knew that from my location my bow would be of no use, I dared not get close enough to use it and risk the chance of being mistaken for one of the intruders. I quickly ran back for my firestick, or my Sharps as Hawk had called it, grabbed it and my pouch and returned to the edge of the trees. The sun was peeking over the horizon just enough that I could see figures moving around below me. From my vantage point I had a view of most of the camp and with the sun peeking thru more and more I could start to see who was who. I sat to be able to steady the firestick and started searching for the shot that was most needed. As I searched for a shot, movement to my right caught my attention, a small group of comanches were making their way in behind the camp. Another quick glance and I knew how I needed to adjust the right sight on my Sharps, I found the brave nearest the tents, fired and opened his chest. The other 3 continued on toward the wagon and tents as I reloaded the Sharps as quickly as I could. The years that my father spent teaching me how to use it were paying off. I sighted in on another brave and split his head like throwing a mellon onto the hard earth. As I started to reload for a third shot I saw the tent flaps suddenly open and the Fair One stepped out and with a sidearm in each hand, starting to fire at the brave nearest her, she hit him so many times and so quickly, that he appeared to be doing a sacred dance preparing for his trip to the happy hunting grounds. Then, just as suddenly from the wagon the cook squaw appeared with THAT rifle of hers, she quickly drew a bead on the last brave and hit him with three shots before it cud let the arrow go from his bow. Then just as suddlenly as it had all started, it stopped.

As the smoke started to settle I could hear Hawk calling out names, with each name I would hear a return from that person, but as Hawk hollered Sam's name there was no reply, each time Hawk called his name the more intense his voice became. I heard the black haired woman holler to Hawk, Hawk, quick, over here. The pain in Hawks voice was clear, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, it seemed to carry on to eternity as he knelt down to his old friend.

The others were gathering around as two of the men walked up to Hawk with a wounded comanche that they had captured. In one sudden move Hawk stood, drew his knife and lifted the comanche's scalp as quickly as an eagle taking a fish from a lake. Hawk the let out a warcry the made the ones from the comanches sound like squaws fighting over a spot to set up their teepee.

The wagon squaw and Calico, Calico was sounding more familiar each time I used it, had checked the 2 dead braves before them, then noticed the other two splattered upon the earth, as one, they looked up to where I was standing as I held my sharps high and I let the screech of the Hawk fly out from my throat. They quickly turned and started to walk over to where Hawk was still standing with the scalp held high.

Suddenly I caught movement just below the camp, nooo, it couldn't be, it was the dark rider, riding straight for the cook squaw and Calico. The cook squaw's rifle was just coming to her should as one of the dark riders rounds hit her in her shoulder throwing her to the ground. Calico's pistols seemed to fly from their holsters, but no fire came from them as she feverishly worked the hammers. The dark rider slid off his pony as he put one pistol away and grabbed Calico. HAWK, he screamed..I have what I've come for, don't anyone move or I'll left her scalp like the one in your bloody hand. Time seemed to stand still as my sharps came to my shoulder, finding his head in my sights I squeezed the trigger. Again, time seemed to stand still as I watched the dark riders head explode and disapear as his body slumped to the ground. There would be no scalp to lift from his evil body. With that, I began to tremble as my legs became soft, I sat at that spot, just stareing off into the distance....time refused to continue on it seemed.......

My best friend, Sam MacAlister.....the man I stood shoulder to shoulder with, the man who was xo in the chain of command of the 8th Missouri Cavalry....the former Texas Ranger in my company , was dead. A Comanche bullet hit him square in his chest. Double lung shot.....no man alive could live after taking a shot like that. I yelled out and lifted the remaining Comanche brave alive, scalp with one swift move.

Then I walked down the hill to where the chuckwagon was and poured a cup of coffee and thought better of it, pulled the cork out with my teeth, spitting the cork on the ground and took a very hard pull on the whiskey bottle, all this with the warm scalp still in my hand ! I could not cry, as much as I tried too. My Father said it was a sign of weakness and the enemy would see it ! After the shock wore off, I went back to where Sam fell and Bucky went with me, but Sam was not there. Only blood stain on Mother Earth and two guns. Then I heard a call Bucky and Whiskey seemed not to hear......the call of a hawk......but this time it was different, sad and lost. I knew it was He who walks two paths, up in the tree line.

After dark when things had settled down a bit, and Barnes pried the scalp out if my hands and put in on my saddle, I walked up the same hill that was tree lined and went looking a round. He who walks two paths had left sign only an indian read and it was telling me to go deeper into the pin oaks. And then,as I slept I stepped into clearing and there was a funeral pire built and Sam's body laying on it.In the dream I look at my friend, standing on the ground and my old friend was laying on top. And my new friend on the ground, walked up to me signing that he knew something about our ways of not burying our dead, but hoisting them off Mother Earth and toward Father Sky. And that's what he did for Sam.

He walked off, placing his hand on my shoulder as he passed by. i looked up and said in Apache, "Damn yur hide Sam ! Ya look better dead than ya ever did alive ! I'm gonna miss ya Ole Pard. " and then I could not take no more, and in my dream walked off. I thanked He who walks two Paths for his building the peir and shook his hand. He took my hand and put it to his forehead, which shocked me to the very core. This man, who was a breed like me, who reached out to me, who built the funeral pier for Sam out of respect for me, and knew some of my traditions ? What ever else he knew I didn't want to know this day. Night was coming and I needed to post the nighthawk for tonight. Plus I needed one more pull off the bottle to settle my nervous system.

After I took the first shift, I laid down and tried to make sense of this day and what took place. In my vision my eyes just would not close and soon it was sun raise. We ate breakfast and not a word was said. Not like what was or was not seen in the nighthawk, and who was going to this and that when we stopped for the night. No one said a word. I had my feel of it so I said, "Mount up and feller me !" All looked surprised but did so anyway and we rode to the dark spot on Mother Earth was still at. All stepped down with one holding the reins to all horses. When we where all present I took my hat off,and in my dream the braids coming down the sides of my hat. I looked around and saw all the hired hands did so, and even Whiskey did so. I said, "Folks , we lost Sam MacAlister yesterday. Shot through his chest. He was a good man an a damn good Friend....served the Confederacy with the 8th Missouri Cavalry and Tejas Ranger long side me. Pull my beacon out of the fire many a time. He rode scout fer da 4th Calvary fer a time. Was a good man,never lied , never tried to git out of his work. Shot straight and kept his weapons clean an his fighting knife sharp." Raising my head and putting my hat back on said , "Now boys let's push dim cows on to Rome, Kansas !" then swung up into my saddle and in my dream I let my horse walk away.

"He's right boys !" Bucky said and pulled his hat on...."Aint but one thing you can do with death and that's ride away from it !" He herded the hands down to the camp, broke camp and I gave one last longing look into the woods where He who walks two paths was standing and said, "All rat fellers make 'em move !" I shout ! and then I woke in the night with a start !

In the saddle and moving cows just after sun up and yet I caught myself think about Sam and not on my work. I know he was dead.....I saw him hit ! I saw his body laying on Mother Earth ? So.....where was the body ? ! Coyotes could not have eaten it.....but I haven't see a bear in these parts in many a year, so that rules that out. Maybe a courage with hungry kits to feed ? Thats when this un-ruley cow pressed my leg up against my leg and my horse. And nether cow nor horse was gonna move !

"Git on up der ya worthless pile of leather ! I'll show ya !" and reached for my bull whip. But I realized that the running cow after I had tagged it's ear with my whip would also start the herd to run after it and we would have a full blown stampede on our hands. So I reined up and checked my leg with my hand. Didn't seem to be nothing broken so I called Toby, telling him to take over the left while I go check on the rear. I could not shake this feeling that we where followed.

Rode up beside that chuck wagon to get some water, and Gloria asked , "Something wrong, Señor ?"

"Only ya usein' da "Senor" thin'. Ya see Whiskey or Bucky, tell'em I'm droppin' back a bit. Got dis feelin' !" I said to her. And she looked puzzled at me and asked,

"What is dis feeling, Señor ?"

"Ifin' I did not tell ya, din ya don't have a need ta know......Sides, what did I just tell ya bout dat Señor stuff !" I said and reined up hard and turned round and rode back trail. "Sam's body was stole, I thought an dat feller shot in da head, wearin' Black Dawgs clothes and ridin' his Mexican saddle....it was not black Dawg fer sure !" I thought as I checked various hiding spots to keep eye on the herd at a safe distance.

And I started to argue with myself, as many man would to when trying to make sense of something that makes no sense at all. "Did not see the scare on his left hand when I shot him at many years ago when we first met. " Then it hit me like a ton of brick had fell on me !

I went riding as fast as the horse would carry me, past the wagon, picked up one of the drag riders and went racing to the front of the herd ! Jim asked me,

"What the hell is going on Hawk ? You lose yur mind or something ?"

I smiled, realing I was passed loosing Sam and said, "Nope...rat as rain ! Dat whar't Black Dawg back der wif his head blown off, just somebody dressed like 'em ! There's a small town not to far ahead....he's waitin' fer us der......sometime fore we git out of range of da town, he'll jump us an take what he after !"

Jim swifted in his saddle and asked, "And just what that might be Hawk ?"

I replied, "Not what but who......spread da word, want everybody back at the chuck wagon......still stay saddled up, but just listen !"

Bucky and Whiskey came riding up at a fast pace and Whiskey asked me, "Any thing the mater Hawk ?"

I answered her, "Plenty ! Black Dawg aint dead....dat was some boy dressed like him what got his head blown off back der ! He be waitin' on us ta pass by dis small town up ahead .....din some time fer we git out of range, he'll hit us !"

"What do ya mean out of range Hawk ?" Bucky asked. "Ya mean BEFORE we get to the town !"

"Maybe" I said...."Most likely hit us from behind ! An use dat town as an alibi as to he whar a bouts ! "

"All right boys...keep those eyes peeled real hard now....Y'all know what to be looking for......now, get back to work !" Then he turned to me.....Hawk, what cha gonna do ?"

I ran my blood satined glove across my face and said, "Calico....stay back and drive the supply wagon into town.....we kinda short on ammo !"

Whiskey spoke up....."Aint we goin' through that ammo fast, Hawk ?"

I looked her in the eyes and said, "Need ya ta come along too, ifin' ya want too and Bucky can spare ya !" To which he nodded.

"I'll go...but I wont like it Hawk !" Whiskey said to me

"Did not ask ya ta like like it, only ask ya ifin ya wood go wif me, an cover my backside, Dat's all !" and I gently spurred my horse on at a trot. All the while I realized in my dream last night, Black Dawg was trying to make us feel at easy while his main goal was Calico ! Why he wanted her, I don't have a clue, but it had to have great importance to Black Dawg. He just don't do much without a very good reason, and she was a very good reason !

I sat there a spell watching the men below as they checked on each other and the wimmen..apparently the cook squaw may not have been hit afterall, but her rifle stock looked like it had been run over by a wagon wheel, she wasn't being patched up, but she was sure rubbing her shoulder alot. The Fair One had been quickly attended to by her shadow in the camp, tho I thought she may be needing fresh clothes after all the blood that had splatterd on her from the dark riders exploding head. I had pulled my glass from it's leather pouch to get a better look and could tell that the black haired one had a wound across her cheek. Except for Hawk's friend Sam all the men had made it through this latest clash with the comanches. I strained my memory for any reason at all why the comanche would be this far north, but I could not find any sense in it.

Hawk had ridden up to the cook wagon for a drink, you could see him talking with those around. He then turned his pony and rode to the rear of the herd behind the cattle and rode slowly through what brush there was, rubbing his forehead like it hurt real bad, he seemed to be talking to someone, but no one was around him. Suddenly he spurred his pony and took off past the wagon to the front of the herd. He stopped there, talked to a few of the men and then rode back to the cook wagon...slowly all the men gathered around there. The Fair One slipped off of her pony and tied it to the rear of the other wagon, the the black haired one tied hers there as well and the two started the wagon off from the herd. first Hawk was riding around like he had gotten into loco weed and now he was send those two off ,alone, was he loco? I quickly gathered my things and put them on my pony, freed the other ponies and pushed them down towards the herd. I pointed my pony to circle around the herd to get close to the wagon. Once I was near it I passed by it a little and maintained a constant distance from it, after I was sure the Fair One had seen me, I slowed my pony so that I was just behind it a bit, I would be able to keep an eye on things from here. but what in the world was going on?

When Hawk told us that Black Dawg was waiting for us by the town up ahead, then told me to drive the supply wagon there, I couldn't believe it. What was that man up to, and why was he not explaining what his plan was? Especially to me, driving the wagon would put me at an extreme disadvantage if we were attacked, Whiskey would be able to return fire, but I couldn't use my pistols and control the team at the same time...was Hawk losing his mind?? This didn't sound like the greatest idea in the world to me....

All the same, I had agreed to follow his orders, so I double checked to make sure my pistols were loaded, tied my new pony to the wagon, and climbed on up. I had been wanting to go into a town as soon as possible, I wanted some material to make one more dress, and I had been looking for a chance to talk to Whiskey. Then I noticed that the Cheyenne warrior was riding along with us, just out of ear shot, and for some reason that made me feel a lot safer. I was sure he'd do whatever he could to help protect us...

As we were riding along, I poured my heart out to Whiskey. I told her how much it would mean to me to return to my father's ranch when the drive was over. I also told her I wasn't sure what to do about my other little predicament, what to do about the two men who were so obviously interested in me. I knew I was really starting to like Buick a lot, but wasn't sure if it would be possible to have any kind of stable future with a man who made his living as a gambler. Then there was the Cheyenne, he'd done so much for me already, but I hardly had said more than a few words to him, it seemed strange he would go through so much for me when we didn't even know each other.

I don't think Whiskey was really concentrating on what I was saying, her eyes were busy scanning the horizon all around us, which was probably a pretty good idea. She must have heard at least a little of what I said, for she did finally have one piece of advice for me, "Why don't you just keep getting to know both of them a little better, and maybe by the time we get to the railhead, you might have a better idea of which one you'll want to invite back to Colorado with you, if you even want either one of them to!"

Then I asked her if she had any idea what Hawk had in mind to do about this Black Dawg fella, he obviously was a huge threat to all of us. I was still trying to get over what had happened, when that man pretending to be him had grabbed me, that had scared me worse than I wanted to admit. But Whiskey just shook her head and said "I don't have the faintest idea, you really think I understand what goes on in that man's head any better than you do?"

I had to laugh at that, then all of a sudden I noticed what seemed to be a cloud of dust in the air off to our right, but up ahead of us. As I was watching it build up, it occurred to me that it was likely dust being stirred up by a horse, could that possibly be Black Dawg? Was he really being so careless as to give off that much sign that he was there? But as I nudged Whiskey to make sure she saw it too, I realized it had to be more than one horse, most likely at least half a dozen, and headed our direction. What other trouble were we about to run into today?

As I rode within easy sight of the wagon with the Fair One and the black haired woman, I had been watching all around, but I must say, I also spent a great deal of time staring at the wagon, after all I could see a great distance in any direction. It was while I was starring at the wagon when I saw the Fair One point to something,,my eyes followed her point,,,,a clould of dust! I could feel my heart start to thump in my chest, my mind start to race about what this could bring. It would not make a difference if it was danger or not, I had sworn an oath to the Great Spirit that I would protect the Fair One until I was given a sign that I was no longer needed for her protection. My bow was ready, my quiver full, my Sharps was loaded and ready in it's pouch...I turned my pony to pull in behind the wagon, but then I hesitated. The cloud of dust was large enough for several riders, whoever they may be, I could take the advantage of surprise by being out of sight till I could see if there was danger or I could dismount and use my Sharps, I would have to make a decision soon, as the cloud of dust would turn into riders all to soon....

As the wagon clanked it's way into this small town, I layer back just enough to stay out of sight and yet could be with Calico, Whiskey and Gloria in a flash so the need arise. Plus I knew also that He who walks two Paths was not far behind too. I think if Black Dawg mad he move, it would be to hit us on the way back or on the drive. He wasn't dumb enough to strike in town. On the way in we past one damn big house, cows all around, except where the green grass grew.

And as we rode into town, I saw the Sheriff standing on the covered boardwalk with his scatter gun, and one could tell he and his deputy have been bought and payed for. Most likely, who ever owned that big house at the end of town owned them. I let the wagon pull up to da General Store and go inside. They where all pretty good shots and Whiskey was the fastest women I had meet, so I went into the Saloon , thinking maybe I could find Black Dawg. And there he was......just as big as life, sitting at a table alone. I threw back the drink I had ordered and bought a bottle for him, went to his table.

"Ya make one move other din dat drink, I'll blow yur head off......agin !" I said and sat down. "Why are ya here an what do ya want Black Dawg ?" I said asked as I cocked my dragoon, which was aiming at him.

Sipping on his drink he said, "I'm just a law abiding citizen havin' a drink on my off time, that's all !"

"What do ya mean dat's all Black Dawg ? I asked. He pulled his coat aside and I saw this deputy badge pinned on his chest. He looked at me and smile real big. "Just gonna use it till my killin' back there blew over and then leave, but now, I can kill you, Ranger and it'll be legal like to boot !"

I took my Dragoon out from below the table and aimed it right at his ugly face saying, "Ifin I git da chance, I'll blow yur head off any time I want......but fer now, I got supplies ta lay in.....yur lucky Black Dawg. " Standing I threw my drink by and said to him, "The next time we met, I'll do just dat ! By da way....ya owe fer dat bottle !" and backed out the batwing doors as Black Dawg just laughed and looked at me back away.

I backed half way cross the street before I turned to walk into the General Store and Calico, Whiskey, with he peacemaker in the store owners face and Gloria looking over cooking pans.

"What's all dis din ?" I asked.

"Well I'll be ! As I live an breath.....How's things' going Ranger Sir ?" the store owner asked. I looked him over very closely . Gray thinning hair, gray short beard, muscular build, and tall. Wearing an short apron and pants. No hat never by, but a cane. I smiled.

"You know him Hawk ?" asked Calico and I could see Whiskey getting more angry by the minute and this fool's smiling didn't do that any good.

I signed as I thought the farer north we went, the more trouble we seemed to find. This place was truly wild place. "Yup......sent him to da big house once when I was Rangerin'. Tried ta run an I put a ball in his leg ta stop him so he's have ta pay up."

"And payment was high !" he said as he pulled down a bandana and there was this rope scare across his neck. "Was hanged ......did not take !"

"Hoss stealin' is a hangin offense inTejas, Jack, ya know dat !" I said my hand resting on the butt of my Dragoon.

He cleared his voice and said "How can I help you ladies,if this cute one will take her peacemaker out of my face !?"

"Tree pounds each flour , beans , bacon, salt, coffee. Two pounds each sugar , pepper, an some rollin' tobacco." I said.

Jack said, "Shoot me if ya want but I aint gittin' nothing for the Ranger here, but I will for you." He said looking at Calico. I could tell she was takin' back by that. She wasn't used to that sort of talk to her, must less anyone else. "What he said !" Calico spoke up.

We loaded the wagon without Jack's help, although he was on the board walk watching us. "Next time I see ya Ranger, I'll kill ya myself."

I straightened up and said, "Yur welcome ta try Jack !" swung up into my saddle and rode out with the wagon as far as the livery, then one of the team threw a shoe.

"Now what ? !" I said and stepped down.

Archived