SASS Wire Forum

Free Grazers

Whiskey Business

When Whiskey and I got into the dry goods store, we started loading everything the shopkeeper had. I sure hoped Hawk could keep those men busy until we were ready for them! I felt far more comfortable being in the building than I had out in the street, I was more used to fighting from cover than out in the open. Several times I had to help Pa drive away fellas trying to steal his horses, and we had always fought them off from inside the cabin.

We'd started picking off a few of the men outside, when I thought I saw movement over by where Hawk was hiding behind the wagon. "Duck!" I screamed, and everyone ducked down just as the first of the dynamite exploded. The whoe building shook, but there were no injuries inside. "He ain't finished yet, be careful!" Whiskey told us, and just then another arrow came flying! Sure wish he had some way of warning us!

"He's got one more, sure hope he puts it to good use!" I said, as we kept up firing to give Hawk the chance to get ready for the last bunch of dynamite. Hopefully, this might convince these fellas that they didn't really want to mess with us, and they'd skedaddle, and fast! Once more I gave the warning to duck, and when the explosion was finished, it got awful quiet out there....

Now that I had a chance, I said a quick prayer that He Who Walks Two Paths had been able to get to the doctor's office, and that help was on the way to Buick! I wanted him to pull through this, so I could finally tell him how I felt about him....

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quickly slid back into the sawbones's office, "Wildcat, there's trouble, bad trouble coming, you best get in a safe spot, I'm going out the back" and with my Sharp's in hand I made my way away from the livery to try to get in behind the men that were in the street. As I neared the allie I peered around the corner, there were three of Otis's men there.

Oh, great I thought, but as I recogized the man that had picked up the guns I had poured sand into an idea popped into my mind. I set the trigger on my Sharps then put it in my off hand, I reached down into my pocket and pulled out my sling and a round ball. I hit the first one at the base of his head, his head snapped back, and down he fell, dead.

As the other two turned around to see what had happened, I opended the head of one of the men with my Sharps, The man I had seen pick up Ol Tom's guns off the street put the rilfe to his shoulder, the rifle exploded and drove the bolt back through his brain. Boy was I glad he was a lazy man!

I continued my way on the backside of the town, reloading my rifle as I went. I peered into the second alley, it was empty. I could see all the way down the street to where Hawk was behind the wagon, I caught some movement above him. I used the corner of the building to steady the Sharps, set the trigger, and the Sharps spoke again, nearly cutting the man in half.

I continued to find targets of opportunity, the Sharps speaking each time as the bullets found their way home. I found out too, how Hawk was going to use the dynamite. Very effective!

Soon it was quiet, I stayed in my spot, just in case there was a surprise.......

"This aint over Ranger......Not by a long shot !" one of the men shouted as he rode off. I looked around, two or three big holes in the street, body parts all around. The only whole men where right at the be gaining of the fight. I went through them, getting guns, powder shot, caps, bullets and all types for guns. Henrys, cap and ball Walkers and Dragoons, new model 66's scatterguns of all sorts....8 gauge, 10 gauge and 12 gauge. The shop owner didn't have any 8 gauge and there where only three rounds left.

I came out behind the watering throuff and with my bow in hand I went with the others back to the livery stable.

"Everbody ok ? " I asked and got the answer back that they where in one pice. Once inside the stable, I settled into the hay, the sweet smelling hay, and it brought me back to the times when I was caught hiding a girl in there. I went about reloading my Dragoons with a smile on my face. When I got them loaded, I reloaded the back up Confederate Naives I carried in my waist band, I then reloaded my two pocket pistols I had used. I loaded up the scattergun with shells loaded with ball bearings......7 pellets to a shell. Will cut a man into with one shot and then killing the man behind him. I then loaded up the 8 gauge. Don't make them much any more, no call for that much fire power, single shot, I slide on paper cartridge into the camber and closed the breech.

I got up and looked through the creaks in the boards of the wall. Dark and quiet outside. I walked over to the others and sat down. They all looked at me.

"How the hell cane you be so calm Hawk ? We beat back the largest group of men I ever fought....you shooting dynamite arrows all down the street with out warning.......How can you be so damned calm ?" Calico asked. She really wanted to know so I told her this, "Back in the war, I went through hell. Ifin' I been there and came back, dis aint nothin' !" I said. "Ya see, I've seen just how evil man can be to man. I know death, it has a smell, a taste , and when it starts ta tucking on yur ass, ya 'll know !" I said then I rolled a cigarette . I lit it, holding the flame low as to make sure no one saw it, took a pull off it and handed it to Calico and went back to the wall to check for movement out side. I saw something but it was the coyotes, come in for the feast.

Walk back over to where Calico was smoking my cigarette, taking it from her month I whispered, "He'll be all right Gal ! " patting her on her shoulders and offered her a pull of my flask. She took it readily, pulling off it like an old pro. Wiping her lip on her shelve , so looked at my buckskin shirt shelve with a 45 bullet hole in it.

"All this shootin and killin' an mamin' that went on today and that is all ya got to show for it ? !" Calico asked. She was getting her baptism under fire and form here on out, we will always be kin of sorts. But first we have to live through the coming day. She knew I didn't have any more dynamite arrow left and for some reason, she seemed relived to know that !

I posted sentries on all sides of the livery stable, while two or so of us got some sleep. When Whiskey came up to relive me, I told her to keep a good watch, anything moves out there, wake me and she nodded. The battle of yesterday had shaken her as well. All through the war, she saw no action, till at the every end, she saw the horries of war. It's evil and twisted face. Both the men in blue and the men in Gray where touched by it in the same way.

The sun was coming up and I was a waken by it, just in time. I strapped my guns back on and told everyone, "This aint no war. This aint gonna have a surrender or white flag. It's gonna end today. Ether we kill all of them and this thin' is over fer good, or dey will kill all of us an take da cattle fer his own ! I can't abide by dat ! Now , load up and we'll start walking toward dat ole Sheriff's office or what's left of it."

As we walked , we passed men dead, their faces gray and cold, the body parts everywhere, the buzzards circling over head as they knew there would be more added to the count this day. Suddenly, "TAKE COVER !" was heard !

Take cover, was all I heard as I dropped to my knees and then onto my elbows with the Sharps in hand, I saw men riding into the far end of town on horseback. The Sharps lifted two of the men out of their saddles before they knew what had hit them, but still the others came. I was starting to draw fire lying there in the open. I had no desire to feel bullets rip through my flesh again so I grabbed my yellow rifle and with the Sharps began rolling over to the watertrough. I had one shot left for the Sharps, I had seen two men, one behind the other coming down the boardwalk, I watched them, set the trigger,,the massive bullet from the Sharps nearly cut them both in two.

As the town erupted I noticed something different, today shots were being fired from windows and doorways, but not in our direction, but in the direction of Otis's men....

As I sat behind the watertrough I wasn't attracking fire any more, my buckskins were covered with dirt and I was blending into the street real well. The trough was making for a fine rest for my Sharps as I continued to rain fire upon Otis's men. As I used the glass on it to pick targets on the far end of town I noticed a large man there with a bandaged hand,,, Otis! Each time I would set the trigger for a shot on him he would move out of sight, I would move on to another target and send that man straight to hell.

Suddenly, there was Otis again, breathe, set the trigger, let out some air, squeeze, the Sharps spoke again, as it lowered from the recoil I saw his horse's head split open, I HAD MISSED! As I started to reload my hand slipped off the forend wood and onto the barrel, I nearly dropped it as my skin started to hiss. I laid it across the trough and put my yellow rifle to work.

Dang it all, it was empty before I knew it, now I was drawing fire again, and with yellow rifle empty and my Sharps to hot to fire, I pulled one of Black Dawg's pistols. A shot hit the trough in front of me and showered me with splinters and water, I turned to see the man aiming at me again, I quickly fired the pistol at him, he laughed and took steps my way as he saw my bullet hit 3 feet away from him. As I cocked it again I noticed a little v this time on top of the strap as I pulled the hammer back, sight? SIGHT! I saw his smile diasappear as my pistol drew a bead on his chest, as the smoke cleared I could see him backpeddling with a huge red spot on his chest...

As the fight continued I felt as I was in my own little world, like I was all alone. I could see flashes coming from the church steeple at the end of the street. I picked up the Sharps again, it was still hot, I chambered a round. I let out a screech and quickly pointed to the steeple. I found the shooter in the glass, he was hunkered down pretty good. With the Sharps this hot I didn't think I could hit him, but I knew I could hit the bell, breathe, bell, squeeze, the Sharps spoke, one, two, thre.......... CLANGGGGG!!! The shooter stood upright holding his ears, then it seemed like half the town opened up on him..you could see him twist and turn as rounds tore threw his hell-bound body. As the shooter fell out of the steeple you could hear a cheer go up from inside many of the buildings...

I grabbed my Sharps and the yellow rifle and made a run for the general store, as I burst through the doors, Allie Mo was standing there, as she threw me a box of shells she said, "I saw that out there, I've been keeping my eye on you!"

Otis ducked into the sheriff's office or what remained of it,, he had reloaded his two pistols and was shooting out the window ! That whole side of the jail facing us was intact still ! I looked over at He Who Walks Two Paths, was reloading his 1860 Henry, ........I wanted this fire fight over.......and over now ! We had cattle we need to move ! I patted Whiskey on her shoulder and we both ran over to the next trough. Once there He Who Walks Two Paths started laying down cover fire, although he didn't know it at the time !

I handed Whiskey the 8 gauge single shot shot gun and told her to shot out the hinges of the door.

"What about you Hawk ?" She asked as she was clearly worried about me. After all, we where kin.

"Dis thin' will kick ya like a dang mule ! Shoot out da hinges !" I shouted as the lead was flying toward us.

Whiskey loaded up and took aim as I laid down cover fire and she squeezed the trigger....it almost kicked her back into the next county !

"Damn !" she said , and squared her shoulders up as I handed her another shell.

I smiled just a bit and said, "Told ya she kicked like a mule !" She popped up over the trough and pulled the trigger again. The second hinge was gone !

I handed Whiskey the last shell. She frowned as she rubbed her shoulder, which was already showing signs of bruising. "I know where to aim I'll fire and on the count of two you run for it !"

I nodded and waited as she counted, "One, two, ............" and I took off running and then there was this loud noise of lead balls crashing into wood, and taking out the door locks ! I dove through the door and the door fell onto the floor. I bounced up with my Dragoon in my hand and started to fire. Each time I fired, Otis's body would jerk and he would fire with the broken waist and bullet hole through hand, missing. I fired again and each time I fired Otis answered with a shot of his own, till all six shots of his pistols where expended . Each time Otis made this grunting noise as my lead struck home !

While I reloaded Otis said to me...." Ya gonna finish me off ? Ya got ta finish me off !" and raised his empty pistol to aim, but I kicked it out of his shredded hand.

"I aint gonna waste lead on a pice of crap like ya ! Ya don't own all dis grass, never did......but ya 'll be under it soon nuff, dat's fer shore, you miserable pice of buffalo crap !"

I went to the other wall and started firing my Dragoon as fast as I could acquire a target. I don't know which it was....ether fear of what Otis would do to them if they broke and ran, or the fear we would hunt them down. Otis was very much dead....six holes right through the chest and heart and right out the other side of his big body. At any rate, his men all choose to fight and then they had chose to die, like their boss.

I walked out of the jail and some of the towns folks came running in and came out shouting "Otis is dead !" I came out a bit later as the smoke from the battle cleared. There was men moaning and for them I quickly brought the end to their suffering, Calico did the same once she came outside the dry goods store. He Who Walks Two Paths started to lift scalps and then a shot as he put them out of their misery. The store keeper who had helped us out came out, stood beside me, and I felt I had to tell him that I was a breed, so was that Injun over near the watering trough .He respond with a "I know !" I looked at him every hard !

Calico came up to me running and asking "Hawk.....you alright ! Where ya hit ?"

"I aint hit gal.......what cha talkin' bout ?" and she pointed to my pants......they where all covered in Otis's blood ! Seems I have a need to get to a creek or river fast. I turned to look at the store owner and asked......"Seems dis town is in need of a Mayor. I figure ya fit da job !" He turned beet red and said he would accept the job. I then turned to the folks I came in with Whiskey, Calico, and walked over to He Who Walks Two Paths and said....."Ya may not think dis, but ya are half white, and I think after a fight like dis, a shoot or two of whiskey would be in order. I then looked round and said folks I be buyin' !"

"No.....the new Mayor said. "WE are buying for all of ya !"

"Just remember the herd needs tendin'. Poor Bucky must be worse slap out ! Dos drinks and we're ridin' !" I said. They just smiled , threw there whiskeys back and rode toward the herd but He Who Walks Two Paths broke away and I rode after him. "Friend, why are ya ridin' dis way.....toward da woods ? Da herd is over here."

"Friend Hawk, I choose to be alone. Does not feel right to be riding round cattle !" He Who Walks Two Paths said.

I looked downward toward my saddle and said, Well, I was expecting yur help on talkin' Bucky out of dim steers I promised Hosa. May inin' up buyin' from him, wif money dat belongs toCalico, or the Fair One as you call her......but I will git dim cows. I may have to work off da det , but I will make it so. Apaches never lie !" I told him and he smiled.

I will drink with you and then I must go to the forest where I can rest. On the next sun, I will talk with this man you call Bucky !" He Who Walks Two Paths said. I smiled and showed him into what was left of the Saloon.

It was finally quiet,,,, an eirie kind of quiet, the kind of quiet that makes you yearn for some type of noise,,, any kind of noise. I felt like a pony ridden long and hard in the heat of the day with little water. I looked up to the bright blue sky,, "Oh Great Spirit, please lift up my spirit, I am tired, I am worn, please replenish my spirit like the rain feeds the grasses."

I looked around the town, it looked like a massacre, like I had envisioned that Wounded Knee would have looked, except with hardened men on the ground instead of children and squaws. The buzzards had already started to land, and the rats were scurrying out from under the buildings.

The townfolk were starting to emerge, some with rifles held high, some came out into the sunlight still cringing in fear. There was Hawk and Whiskey, but, but,,,,, where was the Fair One? My worn eyes searched the town, dead men strewn about. Just as I was about to scream her name I saw her, her arms hanging down limp, still holding her pistols each each hand.

The new Mayor of that town can have that big house at the end of town for him to love in, and the townsfolk started caring out the dead. Up to boot hill and the undertaker will be kept busy for a while making coffins. I threw my 2nd whiskey back and said in a loud voice "Ok fellers.....let's git back to ta herd. Expect ole Buck's plain worn out by now......let's move ."

Whiskey looked up at me and said to me..."Hawk.....we just finished a major fight here ! Don't you think these men and women deserve a rest ?"

"Done had their rest with the drinkin ! Now....ifin' ya don't want me to be yur ramrod, just say so, but until din, my word is law.....now let's MOVE ! I replied to her comment. We all hit the saddle and the town's folk waved good bye to us. It felt good to have done some good for those folks.

Whiskey rode up saying, "Let's get this start right now Hawk.......you maybe kin, but.......I am part owner of the cattle !"

I answered back...."Yup, dat ya maybe, but I am still dat ramrod you and Bucky hired many years ago ! I'm set in my ways, Whiskey.....too damned old ta change 'em now ! Unless ya fire me, I'm gonna keep on givin' orders to protect dis herd as best I can. And I need to cut out bout 40 head to feed the Arapahoe Nation that He Who Walks Two Paths is from. Day be striven and I promised Hosa I would git his people food. I plan on keepin' it !"

"Well.....ramrod you maybe, but you ARE NOT giving me orders and we'll have to talk about the 49 head with ny husband, understand Hawk ?" Whiskey said to me. She was mad as a stirred up honest nest now, yet I was gonna make my self clear, ever many times I had to get stung !

I fired right back at her as I reloaded my scattergun.......
"Whiskey darlin......Yur word cut like a double edged sword, but when yur wif me I am responsible fer yur safety ! An I WILL ta ya what ta do and ya WILL do it ! Is dat clear ? ! Any ifin ya want ta talk dis over with yur husband, ya go rat ahead, but I'll be rat side of ya, understand ? Good !" I said to Whiskey and spurred my horse off in the direction of the herd.

When I got to the camp, Bucky saw up from afar, but as we drew closer, it was plain to see we had been in battle. "Good Lord Almighty !.....What happened ?" Bucky asked.

"Hawk here ...was giving me orders and I don't like it at all !" Whiskey said as she stepped down. One of the hands came and took her horse, unsaddled it and let it graze with the cattle.

"You where giving my wife orders Hawk ?" Bucky asked with his arms folded. "Better be a damned good reason !" he said.

"I was keepin' her alive so she cood chew me out on the ride here !" I said. "And I need about 40 head to give ta da Arapahoe Nation dat Hosa leads. " I said. I went on to explain about this big cattle barron in that town, how he planed to take all the herd as his own for us grazing on his "land." Tried to explain free grazing is still legal, but he wasn't having any of it. And the fact that I send him to prison didn't help none. So we had to fight it out. Took two days to get the job done, but we did.

"YOU DID WHAT ?" Bucky shouted at me. Oh great.....now both of them was mad at me ! "Hawk, how in the hell could you have done something like that with out checking with us first !" Bucky asked.

And I replied, "Boss....ifin' ya had seen dos folks, how bad off der whar. Dey is stravin' ! I know what dat feels like ! So I promised Hosa nuff beef to make it till dey get ta whar dey need ta go !"

Bucky calmed down after I told him that. "I don't know Hawk.....I mean 40 head is a lot of money we would be losing !" Whiskey just sat there, sipping some hot coffee and stewing on what I had said to her. She most differently did not like being reasonable !

"Well Bucky.....how bout I buy 'em from ya ? Look ....I made a promise I intend on keeping.........even ifin it means rustling ! I'll pay market price for 'em ! Just tell me what ya want fer 'em !" I said looking at Whiskey, making sure that fighting knife stayed put !

"Alright Hawk.....$5.00 a head.....how's that sound to ya ? That's what the buyer payed the last drive ! And I get to cut 'em out of the herd ! Is it a deal ?" Bucky asked and put out his hand.

I looked into my money pouch and counted out $200.00 dollars....left me enough for a box of shells. "Deal !" I said and shook his hand.

" And Darling" Bucky said to Whiskey...."Hawk has seen more country and more people than we ever will, so when he tells you to do something, then that's what I want you to do ! He's only trying to keep you alive and I want you back with me, ok ?" Whiskey nodded and then went to their tent. Oh Bucky was about to get chewed out like me.

I still kept my eye on her fighting knife.................

We finished our drinks and headed back out of what was left of the saloon. The shopkeeper, who was now the new mayor was trying to get things in order, that was going to be a huge task. Hawk told him that there looked to be a vacancy in the big house just outside of town, and well, that would be a might fitting place for the new mayor.

The man from the livery came up the street leading our ponies to us. "Thank you, is all I've got" he told us as he handed our reigns to us. Just before he turned to go he said, "y'all come back now, ya hear."

In the shadows I saw Ol Tom standing, the one I had put the knot on his forehead, he put his finger to his hat, smiled, and nodded his head. I nodded back as I swung up on my pony. The four of us riding out of town must have been a sight, I was just glad our ponies didn't feel like we did!

Not far from town I nudged my pony off to the side a bit to start putting distance between us, but as soon as Hawk noticed he joined my path. "hey, where you headin off to?" he asked me with a concerned look on his face. "I've seen enough for awhile" I told him, "I need the quietness of the shadows." I agreed to meet with him, Bucky and Whiskey in the morning to talk about beef for Hosa. "But for now, I am tired, I am worn, and my spirit is vexed, I must go." With that said, Hawk nodded and returned to Whiskey and the Fair One.

I rode on for about a mile when I heard a pony coming up behind me, instinctively I swung my pony around and drew my bow, as I anchored, I saw that the rider was Ol Tom who by now had his pony halted and had his hands reaching for the sun, shouting noooooo! I slowly let the bow down as he dismounted. "I know you could have killed me back there when you hit me with that stone. After I regained my senses I remembered the story my mother used to read to me out of the bible. Never figured I'd end up being Goliath, anyway didn't take long for me to figure I'd better get right, so I did. Anyway, I was Otis's ranch foreman, I had a quick talk with the new mayor and we figured that we owed y'all a bunch. Would half of Otis's herd cover it?"

My mind was spinning, I thought to myself, half? half of what? I guess it may have spoken that out loud as Ol Tom replied, "well, last count I had was 1,000 head. That would make it 500 for y'all, iffn you think that's fair?" We know the herd you're with is about 10 miles east of here, we could have your half heading your way by morning."

"Sure, that would be fine" was the only thing that I could get out of my mouth. With that Ol Tom grabbed my hand and just about pulled my arm loose.

"Can't tell you just how thankful I, we are" he said as he turned his pony and headed back to the town.

I swung onto my pony with a little more zip this time, a broad smile on my face. 500 head of cattle,,, with each step of my pony my spirit was soaring higher and higher as if on the wings of a eagle....

Chief Hosa's tribe would be well fed for a long while, but as I rode on, I began to worry, how would we handle this? split it evenly among us? That would work for me, as I had little call for my own herd of cattle, yet.....that would be good too...

I made my camp just outside the herd that night, the stars were brightly winking, the moon brilliant, coyotes calling in the distance,,,,a good night to rest my weary spirit.

Sunrise found me sitting squarely in front of Buck and Whiskey's tent. As Whiskey emerged from the tent she tripped over me landing flat on her face in the dirt. She was up in a flash with that long knife drawn, a snarl came out of her mouth, "Buck, you even smile and I'll cut your heart out and feed it to the coyotes!" Whew!!!!! the knife wasn't for me. "why honey pie, you know I'd never laugh at you" was all Buck could say before he started giggling. Whiskey winked at me and slowly put the knife away while giving Buck the evil eye the whole time.

Hawk and the Fair One had heard the snarls and had come running, "what's going on now?" came from Hawk as he quickly surveyed the situation.

"Nothing", Whiskey said, "I just tripped over that doorstop" pointing at me.

"We need to talk" I told them, "We need to talk about cattle for Hosa."

Hawk quickly spoke, "I bought 40 head from Buck here, it's covered."

Just as quickly I replied, "Wont do, won't do at all!"

Hawk's hand lowered toward his dragoon, "You saying my money ain't good enough?" he spoke as his whole body tensed up.

The Fair One quickly put her hand on Hawk's and told him,,,"hear him out, I've got a feeling."

As we all sat there in a circle I began to tell them of my meeting with Ol Tom.

I finished with,,, "what'll we do now?"

s

After the fighting was over, all I wanted was to be alone. So much death, and over nothing more than one man's greed....I just couldn't wrap my head around 'Why". Didn't seem right that people would do that to one another....But Hawk wanted us all in the saloon, and I wasn't about to argue. I was starting to like that whiskey stuff a little too much, but after all that I had seen in the last two days, I wasn't about to turn it down!

When the drinks were gone, we headed back towards the herd. I was in a hurry to get back fast, but knew better than to ride on ahead of the others. Before he split off from the rest of us, He Who Walks Two Paths had told me he sent a doctor out there for Buick, and I was anxious to find out how he was doing. Was he going to be one more victim of the violence of the last two days?

We got within sight of the herd, and at that point I raced my pony the last little bit, and jumped off right in front of Gloria, who was just getting out of her wagon. "How is he, is he ok?" I demanded of her, she just put a finger to her lips and told me "Hush, Senorita, he is fine, but he must rest!" She led me over to the fire, and explained to me all that the doctor had done for Buick. He had busted ribs and a broken left arm, but those were the worst of the injuries. The doc had set his arm, gave him some laudanum, and left instructions with Gloria on how to take care of him. She would not let me wake him up, but did let me peek into the wagon to see for myself that he was ok.

That night, I spread my bedroll on the ground right by the wagon, to be nearby in case he needed help. I knew that all the other hands were getting a good laugh out of that, but I didn't care anymore. As soon as I got the chance, I was gonna tell that man just how much he meant to me, and that I had no intention of going back to Colorado alone! Of course, since Hawk had volunteered to use MY money to pay for the cows for Little Raven and his people, Buick might be the only thing I ended up taking back home with me.....

We sat there quite a spell, Buck and Whiskey were all smiles as they whispered back and forth between them. The Fair One and Hawk hadn't said a word. I had had the whole night to think about it, but I was enjoying watching the others to much to speak first. What ever was decided as my share, if indeed any, would go to Hosa's tribe, either as live cattle or after the cattle were sold, for supplies for the tribe.

Gloria, started our way with a pot of her breakfast special, hmm I did owe her for the way she helped nurse me back to health..did I smell coffee?

The days went by as we made our way to Santana from Moscow Kansas and the grass stayed green and luscious, which lead me to think there was a river close by. One that held some water instead of a dry wash or dry river bed. But, to best find out, I needed some one to scout ahead for me and the herd. The cattle and horses would not start to run toward the water, if any, cause they where well feed. I would ask He Who Walks Two Paths, if he would ride ahead and check it out. He agreed, took a pack and went off. As it was open country here, he didn't have the trees to take shelter in, so I insteaded he take Black Dawg's pistols with him and the Black One's rifle as well. He may come upon some Sioux, and they clearly where not in the welcoming mood now.

We kept the cattle moving at their pace, not trying to move them along too much, as I needed a report from He Who Walks Two Paths. He returned and didn't have good have good news. He said he saw many shoed horse tracks along the banks of the river. Renegades ! I thought ! I though we had put the slip on those bastards long time ago ! He Who Walks Two Paths told me more bad news. It seems that they crossed way down stream and came out so their trail would be found, and went cross the river to up on the flat part of the land knowing that place was the only place to ford for miles.

The land on the south side of the river was flat and grassy and low. The side on the north side of the river was raised , flat with a high bank on it's side, so the cattle and who ever came out first would be riding right into an ambush. We had to think of an idea fast, as we would be at the river come mid morning !

I enjoyed being out by myself again, I had never killed a man before I had made my oath to the Great Spirit to protect the Fair One, and I only hoped that when the Great Spirit released me from my oath that the killings would end.

The tracking was easy, much too easy. Maybe they had no clue they were being followed, which meant they had no idea we were in the area, or they were setting a trap.

I knew Ft Sills was in the area, I didn't care much for the leaders of the blue coats, but the enemy of your enemy can be of benefit. Would be nice to come across a patrol about now.

I circled back around to the herd wanting to make sure that no evil dogooders were lurking about. I didn't see any tracks, sign, or anything much for that matter. Like skinning a coyote with no ticks, something just taint right! Maybe it was something within me that was yearning for signs. Maybe it was the pictures of Hosa's village that would pop up in my dreams. And there were those dreams of the Fair One batheing in the water hole that day,,,,wait a minute, that wasn't a dream, was it?

As I was completing the circle around the herd I caught sight of the Fair One out near the front of the herd riding along side one of the hands. I continued my circle until they caught sight of me, then I urged my pony in her direction. Just as I got there I saw her look at the hand riding with her and give him a slight sideways nod of her head, he took the hint and fell back aways.

As I pulled up along side her pony she spoke, "What's on your mind? You taint hardly sed a word since the gunfight in town."

"Welllll" I started, "lots rambling around in my mind, but the words don't seem to fit anything much." "Been having dreams of Hosa's village, I'll be glad when we can turn some cattle toward his village, I figure with my share, I'd send almost what is needed to the village, and then sell the rest at market. I figure to use the money from selling the rest of my share to buy things the village needs besides food." "And those 3 daughters of his have been visiting me, in my dreams. I've seen how you look at the dandy, Buick? Strange name for a man, even a dandy." After my oath is fulfilled I look to try to make a decision about Hosa's daughers."

I was tired of pussy-footing around and looked her straight in the face and asked her, "Just what do You have a mind to do?"

I could she her face tighten a bit, one eyebrow cocked a little, the cheek below it pulled in a little and she looked at the autumn pony's head. Now, it was time to wait......

Jesse and I were riding along, keeping an eye on the herd, when I noticed He Who Walks Two Paths heading for us. I figured it was probably me he wanted to talk to, so I asked Jesse to back off a bit and give us some privacy. The Cheyenne hadn't said much to me lately, and I was wondering what was on his mind. He started telling what he was going to do with his share of Otis's herd, then he asked me "Just what do you have a mind to do?"

That caught me totally off guard, I knew he liked me and I liked him to, but I also had feelings for Buick, but I wasn't positive how Buick felt about me! "I dunno, first we gotta get these cows to market for Bucky and Whiskey! And then, I'm heading home. I want to rebuild pa's ranch, the cabin and the barn, and raise some horses. Lots of people moving into Colorado Territory now, and they're all gonna need horses. Gonna raise some for riding, and some for plowing, whatever I can find buyers for. That's about all I have in mind for now.....I know I gotta come up with more definite plans than that, but I still got time to figure it out. We ain't at the railhead yet. All I do know for sure is that I'll need some help, I can't do it all by myself. I'll need a partner, preferably someone who knows horses...."

I started blushing, and left it at that.....I turned my pony around and yelled to Jesse that I'd be right back, and headed for the wagons. Not that I needed anything other than a few minutes alone to pull myself together...

I seen Calico and He Who Walks Two Paths where having a serious talk about something, but there was no time for that. The cattle could smell water close by and although the where not running toward the river, they sure wan't taking their time ! Because Calico and her suiter was there, the cattle was starting to turn and I didn't want that !

"Calico !" I shouted....."Pay attention ta what da heck yur doin !" He Who Walks Two Paths peeled off and rode up to me. Then he ask......

"Friend Hawk, I have a problem maybe you can help me with. It seems my heart has gone to where it need not go." He Who Walks Two Paths said. I was working with the other hands to keep the cattle from stampeding again.

"Roy.......git to da fer side.....don't let'em passed ya ! Stand strong Roy ! Toby ride up ahead an push 'em dis way.....gentle now.....dey smell da water an just might bolt ! Jim...push 'em from da rear, real slow like ! Now........Friend He Who Walks Two Paths, seems ta me dat she's eyeballin' dat Dandy feller, Buick ! But ya aint a gonna tell da heart who and who not ta love ! But I anit yur Paw......ya gotta make dat decision yur own self ! Jesse.....close it up der ! "

He Who Walks Two Paths lowered his head some what ask then asked me, "Friend.....did you ever have a women ?"

"ME !" I pointer to myself and then I laughed ! "Oh hell no ! Don't need all dat hollarin' an bitchin' an naggin most female type wimmen folk do ! Now.....I'll take a whore now an agin, but mostly I like sleepin' out under Father Sky. Why wood I want a female type wimmen ? All dey is , is a pain in da backside ! No Sir......aint gonna have one nether !"

I rode along with the Cheyenne for a while and then he told me of the tracks he saw by the river's banks. I asked was there another place to ford within one day's ride and he shook his head. "Say ya saw tracks go inta da river but none came out da other side ?" Again, He Who Walks Two Paths nodded yes. "Cood be dey just rode up river, or cood be der waitin' on us on da other side."

I called out to all the hired hands we had saying......."May have company on da other side of dis river ! Load heavy and was da cattle ! Dey'll spook ifin der's somebody else on da other side ! Let 'em in !" I sang out. The cattle entered the river, the water bout waist deep, and cool to the body, but not cold. As the cattle came out the other side, I watched closely to see their reaction and it was just as it had been on this side. So, I rode across hard, and was waiting for the rest of the herd to cross. When they had all crossed and the river cleared, I took my weapons off and handed then to hold to the Cheyenne while I took my yearly bath ! The blood, guts and brain matter that I had collected in the battle would be washed off by the currant and thats what I wanted. After I had finished bathing, I let one by one of the hired hands go bath. He Who Walks Two Paths started to ride off when I put my arm out for him to stop. Calico was going for the river and I told the Cheyenne, "Look toward da river Friend !"

Dang, almost got in trouble with Hawk again, I really need to quit letting myself get distracted! Once we got the cows across the river, Hawk decided it was time we all took bathes, not a common occurrence for most of the hands, but one I was glad of, I was getting kind of dirty...but it figured he'd make me wait until last!

When it was finally my turn, I made sure all the other hands had cleared out, and peeled off my buckskins, and plunged into the river. Boy, was it cold! But it still felt good, it would be nice to be clean again. As I was washing up, I started thinking that when we stopped for the night maybe I would change into the new dress I had finished last night. I had promised Gloria I would sit with Buick while she was making dinner, and I couldn't wait for him to see me in it, I hoped he liked the color blue....

But I couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching me, I sure hoped it wasn't any of the riders Hawk was so concerned about...

Scouting for the herd was giving me the peace my spirit needed after the battles we had fought lately. I had plenty of time to think again, about my youth on my father's ranch, and present, and where and what I wanted out of the future. When I became of age my father and mother both thought it would be good for me to embrace my mother's linage, which was Cheyenne, and go out and live it until I could come to grips with what I wanted out of the future. My mother had taught me well the ways of her people, though nothing she could teach me could help me come to grips with the savagery that man, any color man, was capable of perpetrating.

I was more than happy that Hawk had ridden up and pointed my attention to the river, and Gloria wasn't there pointing her rifle at me as I watched the Fair One this time. I knew she had little or no feelings for me, but I must say, every time I saw her, especially at a time like this, I had a warm feeling well up from deep within me. I must say that I was enjoying watching the Great Spirit's handiwork batheing in the river.

but now, back to the future,,,, what was I going to do after we made it to the market with the cattle. I knew short term, buy supplies for Hosa's village, but what then? Take a woman? One of Hosa's daughters? Return to my father's ranch? I did enjoy certain parts of working the herd. Hawk had named me, He Who Walks Two Paths, but I was yearning for one path, I just wasn't quite certain what path? But then, out in the plains there isn't much of a call for "hurry". I would let the Great Spirit lead me to the path that He would have me walk.

What was that!? Movement in the bushes just upriver from the Fair One, I stared at the movement with my heart jumping up into my throat. One, two, three,,,, men leading their ponies towards the Fair One.....I urged my pony into a full gallop. The man in the lead gave the reins from his horse to one of the others and got to the Fair One before she could get to shore,,,,, I urged my pony into the river splashing water everywhere...I heard shots, not only from the two men, but also from up behind me,,,,I saw one of the two men go down,,,the shots coming from behind me were friendly...the other man jumped upon his pony and tried to turn and run but just as he tried to turn his pony he diasppeared off of his saddle.. The Fair One was being held by the first man, he had no avenue of escape....he was going to try to use her for safe passage. I stopped my pony about 10 paces away from them and reached into my pocket for my sling and a round ball. The man had one arm wrapped around her waist as he stood behind her and his other hand held a pistol pointed at her head. "Whatcha going do with THAT?" he hollered, "your mother won't let you have a bow or a gun?" he coninued. I could see the look in The Fair One's face go from complete and utter fear to almost a smile. As I lifted the sling above my head and starting to spin it, I asked him, "you figure this is a good day to die?" He laughed and started to point his pistol towards me, just what I had hoped for, the round ball made it's way to his forehead making a loud crack at it hit home. He slumped into the water and started to float down the river. I urged my pony up along side of the Fair One and lowered my arm down to pick her up. She slid up behind me and wrapped her arms around me as my pony made it's way to shore, where her buckskins lay with the autumn pony.... fefoo 's peshnide me, ls

I was ridding toward Calico and He Who Walks Two Paths at a full gallop, coming to a stop, I levered another 45-70 shell into the chamber and said to Calico ..."Ya all rat ?" She was quickly putting her buckskins on and He Who Walks Two Paths tried to shield her from view. But I had got all the hired hands to work on other things, and that's why I had her bath last. Sides, I'd seen all I wanted to see last time she bathed ! Which was quite an eyeful, to say the least !

I rode across the river and took the guns and ammo of their horses and turned their bodies over so I could I.D. them. But I did not know these man. So I took their gunbelts off, their knifes if they where caring any, and grabbed up the reins of their horses. I would be taking them back top camp and when time come, unsaddling and taking them to the rope corral. When I was doing this, I saw Calico and He Who Walks Two Paths riding back double and I saw Buick was watching. When camp was made, I took a cup of coffee over to Buick. When I saw the look on his face, I poured his and my coffee out and filled the tin cups with whiskey Bucky and Whiskey had locked away.

"Here.....looks like ya cood use dis, Buick !" I said to him. He looked up at me in a surprised face.

"Boss.....Seems I just can't figure out that women's mind ! I've got a notion to marry her, if I can work up the will power to ask her." Buick said, looking into his amber fluid.

"Buick......I've had many a women.......ask myself dat very same question many a time ! An dat a women's head is da hard's thin' da Creator ever made, ...an I can find no sign on it !" I said to him in between sips.

Buick took a sip and looked at me and said, "Boss...Can I ask ya somethin' ?"

"Ifin ya want ta ride nighthawk, da answers no ! Ya need more healin' fer dat ta happen !" I said and smiled at him. And that is what broke the ice completely !

He sipped some more on his whiskey and asked, "You recon that gal would marry me, if I was to ask her ?"

I smiled and threw the rest of my whiskey back and waited for Buick to do the same. "She wood, ifin' ya was ta ask her !" I said and winked.

Buick looked all flushed in the face and I also said, "But not from a drunkard ! Best git some sleep now Buick !"

"Boss..you called me by my given name ! You aint never did that before !" Buick said in shook.

Reaching down and plucking a blade of grass, I looked at him and replied, "Dandy did not fit no more." took his tin cup and walked back to the fire, just as Calico arrived to feed him. She too, looked all flush in the face and I did not have a clue !

After I had checked the cattle where bedded down for the night and had set the nighthawks, Whiskey came over to where I was standing. She unlocked the whiskey cabinet on the chuck wagon and poured two tin cups of whiskey. She then motioned for mine and she filled it along with saying, "Don't drink on the job, Hawk ! Come on !" and off to their tent we went.

Once inside Bucky had a large map on the table and a lamp next to it. "Ya wanted ta see me Boss ?" I asked. And he nodded.

"I have come to learn that we won't be the first heard into Dodge City. But if we keep pushing on to this town, I figure the railhead and us should arrive about the same time. What's this town here Hawk ?"

"Dat be Hays, Boss.....but der's a lot of open winding land tweed here an Hays ! And ya got some creeks ta cross too ! Don't git fooled boss, dim creeks aint no creeks, no like rivers ! An at least onr river. Dat been in da Arkansas ! Mighty river.....specially when it's been rainin'. Din Buckner Creek which aint no creek a tall, but a narrer but deep river wif steep banks on either side."

"How long fore we get there ?" Whiskey asked me. She was taking all this in, in great detail. Hanging on my every one, just like during the war.

"We came side step Dodge City in three days, be at Pawnee Rock in bout tree weeks , ifin da cattle keep movin like dat ae ." I said.

Bucky then gave me and Whiskey one each of his fine cigars to smoke. As we did that Whiskey looked up at me and asked ,"And what if the cattle stampede or we get into another fight like in that town back there ? What then Hawk ?"

Whiskey Darlin", I said in my best southeast Tejas draw...."Ifin I cood predict somethin' like dat will din I'd go inta da story tellin' business ! Let's hope dim cattle don't stampede or we have ta fight agin !" I said, sipping the last of my whiskey and walked out the tent.

I over heard Whiskey telling Bucky, "I hope he's right !"

I saw Hawk coming out of Whiskey and Bucky's tent, and hurried over to him. "Can I talk to you fer a minute, Boss?" I asked. Hawk looked disgusted for a second, and started shaking his head , "I ain't tellin' ya who ta like, ifn' that's whut yer askin' bout!"

"You're the last person I'm gonna ask for advice on that, Hawk, I got sumthin' else on my mind" I told him. "Just walk with me to the edge of camp, and hear me out, please?" I hated having to beg, but after what happened earlier in the day, I was feeling a little bit desperate.

Hawk practically ran to a spot at the edge of camp, as far away from the other hands around the fire. I had a hard time keeping up with him, there was a definite disadvantage to wearing that new dress instead of my usual buckskins. Still, Buick had liked it.....

Now wasn't the time to be thinking about that though, we had bigger problems. "Hawk, I doubt those three fellas that attacked me today was alone, what we gonna do when their friends figure out they ain't comin' back? I've seen all the tracks in the area, there's a heck of a lot more than could be made by three men! I want to know, how bad do you think it is, what's our chances of getting attacked again?"

Hawk shook his head again, and admitted "I ain't got no idea whut's gonna happen, I ain't no fortune teller! Just keep yur guns loaded and close, and tell that fella of yurs to do the same!"

"Which one, or do you mean both?" I asked him, also shaking my head. He Who Walks Two Paths had come to my rescue again, and I owed him my life. But all the same, the way Buick had looked at me when he saw me in that new dress, that made them butterflies in my gut all fluttery again....

"B'sides, I ain't ready to think about either of them right now! I got a bigger problem, Hawk. I still ain't been able to figure out whut's on them papers in those saddlebags....Gloria's been keeping a good eye on them for me, she can't read em' neither, but ifn' we get attacked, they'll be the last thing we'll have time to worry about. I need to know what's in em', and preferably before anything bad happens. Even if nothin' bad happens, I wanna know before we get to Hays. Yes, I overheard ya tell Whiskey and Bucky where we're heading....."

"He Who Walks Two Paths and Buick have both volunteered to read them to me, I'm not sure ifn' that's a good idea. I need a neutral party, one that ain't tryin' to court me, someone I can trust. And you did tell me you knew how to read....."

I don't think I had ever had such warmth run through my spirit, and my body like I had today. I had never riden with a woman on a pony, that was the closest I had ever been with a woman, it caused a warmth that I was eager to experience again. I reached into my things and pulled out my flute, my heart wanted to speak again, but I had not the words, so my heart would speak through my flute.

I played as the moon rose high into the sky, the twinkling stars welcoming it. It was now time to search for the rest of the men that the three were most assuredly a part.

I would be able to move freely in the darkness with enough light from the moon to quide my way. I would take my yellow rifle, my bow, sling and of course my Sharps.

As I entered the camp to tell Hawk my plan, I could feel eyes upon me, but the feeling was good now. I told Hawk my plan, that I would locate the party that the men had come from, and get any idea I could as where they were heading. I could see a look of concern on the Fair One's face as she listened intently to my voice, it made my spirit feel the warmth I had felt earlier that day.

As I headed out into the darkness, I turned and reminded Hawk of the promise to Little Raven, his people couldn't wait much longer.

I said as we walked back to the camp, "Fetch dim papers and I'll git couple of torches an met near Gloria's chuck wagon. We could talk there as Buick was asleep in the supply wagon. Calico got the papers, carefully put them up her sleeve so as they can't be seen. And she got me some whiskey to boot. And I fetched my Henry rifle and we talked out to this old cottonwood log and had a set down. I pulled out my reading eye glasses, putting them on and said....."Calico.......ya best tell anery a soul !" They I started reading......

"By this presences , I bid you greetings ! Be it known that I Joshua Albert Holloway, being of sound mind and body, do here by leave the Twin Oaks Ranch, it's house and barns and bunkhouse to my daughter Mary Holloway. I also leave it's horses to her and all 6000 acres and the pool known as crude oil on it. Should anything happen to me or Mary's mother, I leave it all to her.

Signed this day under my hand and not duress, not being forced in any manner, shape or form,

The day of our Lord june 6th, 1866

Joshua Albert Holloway."

I saw Calico's face turned white and her hands start shaking, and I feed her some whiskey from my tin cup. "So.....Mary Holloway, is it ?" I said with a smirk on my face. I picked up my rifle as I saw He Who Walks Two Paths came up. He told me he was going off to find those men that send out the riders to find food. And they maybe looking as to why they have not turned. And watched him and his horse disappear off into the distance. Calico came up to me and said,

"You read really well Hawk ! Why are you out here in the middle of no where pushing cows around !"

"Alway had a way wif cattle an horses......just came natural ! So did being the Commanding Officer of the 1st Texas Calvary. Damn near got them all killed. Never could live with myself after that ! The South lost the war, and I took to hiding. Now, Mary Holloway, we both have a thing to hide ! Now......we got a deal , or no ?!" I said putting out my hand. She shook my hand and gave me a bear hug !

"DEAL !" Calico said.

She went running off toward the supply wagon where Buick lay resting and I shouted out...."Ifin' I catch ya wif out a weapon agin, it'll cost ya a day's wage !" But she didn't hear me or payed no attention. She knew she was fairly rich !

I found a high spot about two miles or so north of the herd. If someone had a fire going I would be able to spot it or smell the smoke if it was upwind. As I searched for any sign of a light in the distance I was amazed, there was a fire to the northest, but to the southeast there was a cluster of fires. I tried to estimate the distances, from my location, from the herd, and from each other...

I swung back up on my pony and headed for the single fire. It was in our path, I needed to know just who belonged to this fire. I figured the cluster of fires may be bluecoats on a patrol. At each high spot I came to I would search again, soon I was near enough to the single fire I could hear men laughing drunkenly. I found some brush just behind a high spot and left my pony there. I pulled my glass out of it's pouch and crawled to the top of the mound....there was just enough light from the moon to see through the glass, one wagon, around 12 men and three women. They were all drunken, even the women, the men grabbing and pawing at the women as they all laughed. I spotted a flag on the wagon, a confederate battle flag, and several of the men wore gray well worn jackets. Marauders!!!! I gently made my way back to my pony and at first ever so slowly started back for the herd, after 1/2 mile or so I urged my pony on at a quick gait.

Now, if the cluster of fires was a patrol then it made sense, they would most likely be tracking the marauders. As the sun started to peek over the horizon I spotted the herd. It reminded me of a buffalo herd at first, but as I could see riders moving around the herd I was brought back to the moment. I needed to let Hawk know what I had seen, I wouldn't mind seeing the Fair One as well. As I got close I could smell Gloria's cooking, hmmm food would be a good thang.....

As I approached the wagon the Fair One was just coming out of it, I stopped my pony at the end of the wagon before she could get down. I looked her square in the eyes and said, "we need to talk, le'st go for a quick ride". She jumped on behind me and off we went, I stopped where her pony was tied and she slid over unto it. She let out a laugh and squealed out, "you wanna talk, you gotta catch me first!", and off she went kicking dirt and grass as she went. I knew my pony was tired so I just let it have free rein, he took the challenge and I was soon in hot pursuit of the Fair One. As I pulled along beside her she just giggled and bent down to hug her pony's neck, I did the same, it seemed like we were eagles soaring through the clouds.

The sight of riders in the distance brought us both to a stop. Even though they were a ways out it was easy to identify them, they were riding in a column two wide, an army patrol. We let the ponies rest as the patrol neared us. I had pulled my Sharps out long before they got to us when we dismounted.

"Morning Captain, what brings you to these parts?" I asked him. "We've been tracking a band of marauders, shouldn't be more than I day out. Seen any sign of them.'

About that time the sargent said to the captain, "Sir, you notice that rifle there?" I caught the Fair One's movement in the corner of my eye as she lowered her hands to her pistols.

"We've been looking for you" the captain saide to me. I say the sargent start to open the flap of his holster. "Sargent" I said, "unless your ready to meet your maker I wouldn't go there."

"Sargent!" the captain shouted, "what in sam hill are you doing? Stand down Now!"

"I fugure your the Culpepper lad we've been looking for, you him?" "Yes sir" I replied. "

"We heard about the gunfight over is Adamsville, heard about some young buck with a Sharps sniper rifle, and a slingshot of all things. Knew that had to be you," the captian stated.

I noticed the Fair One shift her feet into a position to draw her pistols...this time the captain did too. "no no, we were just to locate him if we could while we were out here, not to bring him in for anything", he quidkly assured the Fair One.

"We've got a message for you, Mr Culpepper, you mother passed over, your father asked that someone get word to you".

As I dropped to my knees I felt the Fair One's hand on the back of my neck. I tried to regain my composure and got back to my feet, "thank you sir,, as to the marauders, I saw their camp last night, due northwest from here, about 1/2 days ride from here. 12 men and 3 women, with one wagon. They were all well drunk last night, should be able to catch up to them rather easily."

"Can you guide us to them?" the captain asked quickly. "Well sir we're from a large herd just west of here about 2 miles, We'd have to swing by there first to leave the Fair One there first."

"We'll follow you" was the captains reply,,"Lead on."

The captain came up beside me as we rode, "I reckon we'll make use of you and that rifle, you'll be paid well for your time" he said as he leaned over to me. "She your woman?" he said with grin. I felt my face warm, and felt a quick pain in my arm as the Fair One punched me in the shoulder....

As we neared the camp, we stopped as we waited for the Fair One to join the herd....

He Who Walks Two Paths and the soldiers waited patiently for me to get back to camp before they left. I went looking for Hawk, figuring he needed to know what was going on, and I found him towards the front of the herd. He had noticed the soldiers, but was making no move to go find out what they were doing, so I filled him in on what had happened. I also told him about He Who Walks Two Path's mother, and I could tell he found that bit of news as upsetting as I did. Then Hawk asked me to let Bucky know what was going on, so I headed back to the camp.

After passing on the message, I was going to go back and help with the herd, when I noticed Buick looking at me from the supply wagon, and he motioned me over. Then he asked if he could talk to me...boy, there sure were a lot of people wanting to talk to me for some reason....so I tied my pony to the back of the wagon and climbed in.

Buick sat looking at the floor of the wagon, then he started speaking. "I know I probably don't have any business asking this, but I need to know, are you gonna take off with that half breed? I know you care about him, but I was hoping you had feelings for me too, and well, I need to know if I stand a chance or if I'm just dreaming...."

Finally, there it was, out in the open, he did care about me!! Now, I needed to find out if it was going to do me any good...."Well, Buick, I would definitely say you stand a chance, I do have feelings for you, and was hoping you felt the same.....but I gotta know, would you be willing to go back to Colorado Territory with me and settle down in one place? I know gamblers normally don't stay in one spot for too long, even if you go there with me, do you have any intention of staying? Cuz if you don't, maybe that's not a good idea for either one of us...I gotta have someone willing to help me with the ranch, and willing to put in the work necessary to make it a success." Even after what Hawk had told me about my pa's ranch, I knew that there was still more work involved than I could do alone. I couldn't think of any way to make it any clearer, I did want him, but on my terms. If he couldn't live with that, maybe He Who Walks Two Paths could...

But Buick finally looked me in the eyes, and told me "I'm tired of traveling from town to town, saloon to saloon, never knowing where I'll end up tomorrow. I am ready to settle down, I just needed a good enough reason to do so!" With that he grabbed me with his good arm and pulled me close, and then he kissed me again, I was really starting to like that! But now, what to do about my other suitor....maybe I would have to do what I could to get him together with one of Little Raven's daughters. The middle daughter, Nookoox or Morning Star, had been a good friend to me when we were younger, and I knew she'd make him a good wife, if I could just get them together....

Next thing I knew, I heard Pete yelling "Hey Calico, get your butt out here, we need your help now!" So I told Buick I'd be back later, and scrambled out of the wagon and onto my pony again to go find out what was going on....

"Over there Calico !" Pete shouted over the sounds of the cattle moving along. I had his hands full trying to keep the lead cow from turning east, and keeping away from the Union troopers. I knew if I opened my mouth they would know I was a Reb and beat me danged near death and then hang me for sure. I needed Calico and Whiskey to run interference for me, until they left. I also knew He Who Walks Two Paths would keep an eye on those yankees and would let me know if they suspected anything.

Calico and Whiskey rode up, in plain view of the yankee troopers and helped me turn that lead cow that I was having a problem with. As the Captain and He Who Talks Two Paths came riding over, I rode out to the east side, making sure I stayed away from those troopers. When I saw one riding toward me, Jesse rode up and I reached down to my scabbard to cock my Henry. It turns out he was a cow hand in the past and missed that way of life. He just wanted to ride with the herd, just to remember. That's when our eyes met and I recognized him. He must of surely recognized me. It was early in the War of Northern Aggression, we where in our winter camp and my squad was assigned to picket near the Shanandoha River. I smelled coffee, and heard music playing, Christmas music. I went out to see what was happening and once at the river, I left my musket up against a tree.

The music reminded me of home. "Hey Reb........I'll trade ya some coffee for some tobaccy !" said the Yank.

I looked at my musket and said, "Shore nuff Yank....Come head !" and I meet him in the middle of the river. I sipped some of his coffee and he drew on my pipe a few times. This was indeed, the same man I shared a smoke with way back then. He smiled at me, nodded and rode off to the Captain's yelling. I knew our secret was still safe !

The troop rode on with the Captain and He Who Walks Two Paths leading the way. I had caught the whiff of wood smoke in the air as we started moving the herd, so faint most white man would never has smelled the smoke, but I knew the Cheyenne and smelled it and was leading them straight at them. I hoped they would be alright.....these where white men who built the fire, desperate men in fact who didn't care who found them. That's what the smoke told me, as they didn't care what type of wood they bunt.

I kept thinking about what I had read to calico about her Father's will. He must have been a good man for he knew he and his family where strangers in the Arapahoe Nation. He treated them will until the Arapahoe where forced off their native lands. I remember how many acres the will said she had, and the oil, well, I didn't give a damn about that. I've seen money ruin many a good intending man. But she would never work horses that much, and she would need some one who knows them almost like kin. Buick aint no match for them so he'll need training, but who would the trainer be ? I wonder ?

As I rode on and the cattle settled down a bit, I found myself thinking about the South, how Bucky, Whiskey, Calico and me had rode across the Rio Grande into Old Mexico and 'liberated those cattle and some horses " from their Mexican owners. And there was some gun play too, but those Mexicans where so old, none of them could shoot straight. After we got enough to stock 5 or 6 ranches, Bucky said we needed to start to push them north into Kanas. Along the way, there was calfs dropped, so just about once a week, me, Jesse, Pete, Toby, Jim, and Roy rode into the herd and rounded the ones up that where grazing. Then we would brand them, cut them if they where bulls, but get some as bulls to sell as breeding stock.

The railhead that Bucky has said would pay a bonus if we where the first herd in had gotten their first herd already, but a new railhead was being built in Hayes, and offered even more than the first railhead said they would pay. But it was painful to alot of the hands and to me personally. We ran into a Confederate cattle baron who insisted that the herd was grazing on his grass. In the end, the town was almost destroyed and a lot of hired guns, mostly from the north, where killed. I still have trouble understanding what a Confederate would have Yankees working for him.

As my horse walked along, I reached down on my saddle horn, just behind my Walker pistols, was a small leather pouch that had a mixture of Confederate $10, 20 and 50 dollar notes in it and some freshly minted double eagles yankee money. I remember the camaraderie of the Confederate troops, and meeting a big man in the Confederate artillery who called himself Bucky. I soon learned that he was Whiskey'd husband. And they both could make some of the best sour mash I could find. For free ! I thought about the smell of corn whiskey that came out of my canteen....one battle in particular, and the day we met...Buck's 12 pound rifled guns opened up on the yankees that attempt to steal cattle and horses, amongst other animals and things for the Union. That cut off any reinforcements from coming up and left the others to me and my company. It made me mad as hell that those Yanks thought they could steal from hard working folks like that ! It was with sheer pleasure that we rode into them, our sabers glowing bright red in the Louisiana sun ! I didn't like the horrors that would haunt me after the war. I didn't really want to fight for any side, but like many others, I was swept up, and when the South fall and I went home.....I had no home, or wife to go back to. So, I took to hiding in any group of cowpokes I could find, the only thing that may give me away where my Walkers, Dragoons, Henry and scattergun.

Bucky was a nice man to work for....made a made for himself in the Tejas hill country. Treated the Apache fair and square ....course he knew he had to cause if not , the Apaches would steal all his stolen cattle and horses, then send the whole village to attack his ranch at the same time ! So, if he was not fair, he learned to be. Meant what he said, did what he said. I admired a man like that. His wife, Whiskey longed for Louisiana but yet, she seemed glad to be out of that country too. I have to tell ya, those skeeters where hell on all of us....even the horses !

Whiskey was a real looker....she could turn any man's head and not even try.She was rat fine looking when she put on a dress. And she was a very good shot. Bucky had ordered her a pair peacemakers just after the war, using a different name , and she was always wearing them. And her carbine she had was special order too. Had her initials engraved into one side. A right fine weapon for a damn good shot. Both of them pulled my bacon out of the fire, so the way I thought,...I owed them. And I'll tell ya.....Whiskey could cook off some sour mash corn whiskey.....the finest, smoothes corn likker I have ever tasted in my life ! I think when I go to meet my Creator, I would like to have my tin cup full of the amber fluid of the gods ! Bucky and Whiskey was a match made by the Creator, and I was lucky enough to work for them and enjoy the fruits of their labor..........and mine too !

After we saw that the Fair One was safe with the cnfines of the herd the troupe and I moved out in the direction of the marauders. I asked the Capt how long they had been on the trail of the marauders, if they had had contact with them, and if they hadn't, did he figure the marauders knew the troupe was on their trail. The captain replied, " we've been on their trail for two weeks, no we've not had contact, and I am not sure if they know we're tracking them or not. But, and this is a big but, they may have a gatling gun in that wagon. We had two different patrols cut to shreds and we figure that these are the scoundrels that did it. Both patrols were led by experienced men, and only a couple men returned each time, telling the same story of how they had ridden up on the wagon only to have the flaps thrown open and the fire from a gatling gun coming at them wiith no place to go. This son, is what we are dealing with here."

I had heard stories of these fire breathing dragons, I can't say that I had any desire at all to see one, let alone being at the wrong end of one. "Captain" I queried, "what's your plan?" "Well" he replied, "up til now we were hoping they would try to cross a river and loose the thing in it, besides that I've just been hoping to stay out of reach of it!" "Once I saw that rifle of yours though, I been thinking about some other ideas though."

"Well sir" I started "I see it like this, if you want to use me and this here rifle I figure I ought to have some say in the matter". I could immediatle tell that the captain wasn't used to some one saying something like that to him. His reply was slow to come, but when he spoke I knew he had considered his words well. "Normally, I would have had you shot for talking to me like that, and I did have a mind too, however, I know two things about you, your are Frank Culpepper's son, and I know what you did in Adamsville. Either one would have been enough to save you, but the two of them together, well son, just what is it the you want to try?"

"Well sir, I see it like this, we've got to push hard, but not hard enough to raise a cloud of dust. We'll send out two scouts to loacate them, once located then that's where it will get interesting." "If we can remain un-noticed by them we will use the terrain to hide our presense, if possible we'll close to about 1000 yards. From a high spot I will open fire with my Sharps, while your troupe remains out of sight. I figure I can hit 3 to 5 of them before they know what's happening, then I figure they'll so 1 of 3 things. They'll stand and fight, they'll run, or they will come after me. If they indeed come after me that's where you become engaged. Once they are almost upon me, you'll spring the trap, and as long as you keep from behind the wagon, you should have no trouble...sound like a plan?"

The Captain immediately called for his two scouts, he gave them directions to locate the party and return immediatly..with a flach they were off. As the troupe started out at a quick gait I began double checking my gear, I had 20 rounds for my Sharps, as I pulled my yellow rifle out the captain's eye's got as big as a child's eyes at Christmas, "We can't even get those, all we've got are Spencers!" I just glanced over at him and smiled, "a special gift from a most greatful friend" I told him as I checked to make sure it was loaded full up.

It seemed like it didn't take long at all for the scouts to return. As they came to a stop in front of us one of them blurted out, "sir, thay taint more than a mile in front of use, camped beside a river, they don't seem to be in any hurry, and they don't seem to have any idea of our presense. We moved out again, I told the captain that I would ride ahead to find my spot, then come back and let them know just where I would have them lay in wait.

As I rode on I could feel my heart thumping in my chest. This was a lot sooner to engage in another battle than I really wanted, not that I wanted to at all. I found my spot, crawled to the top of the small hill, examined the situation with my glass, then returned to the troupe. After I had explained my plan to the captain we rode out agan. When we reached the hill, the troupers dismounted as I led my pony most of the way up. Then I took my Sharps and my yellow rifle along with my glass and crawled to the top of the hill. Once there I laid out the two rifles in front of my along with the rounds for the Sharps and the box of cartridges for the yellow rifle. I quickly glassed the camp again, the wagon was facing away from me, a good thing, the men and women once again appeared well drunk. I loaded the Sharps, set the trigger, found my target in it's long slender glass, squeeze,,,one man grabbed his chest as he stumbled back. Reload, find target, they didn't seem aware of what was happening yet, squeeze, a second man fell over backwards...now the rest of the men looked like ants that had been disturbed,,,,reload, target, squeeze, a third man sent into eternity....

It was all happening soooo slowly...at least it seemed that way...

The sun was well over the horizon before the camp started stirring that morning. They had stopped early the night before to give He Who Walks Two Paths and the soldiers time to deal with the marauders before moving north. It wasn't until Gloria had called all the hands to breakfast before Jesse and Pete realized someone was missing.

“Hey, where's Calico?” Jesse asked the others, “Anyone seen her? She didn't ride out to the herd without breakfast, did she?”

“Calico's gone, Jesse, just eat your breakfast. We need to get moving soon.” Whiskey said as she came out of her tent. “Don't you boys worry about her, she can take care of herself.”

“Whaddya mean...gone?” asked Pete, “Where'd she go?”

“West,” was Whiskey's reply, “She's going home, said it was time. Said if she didn't leave now, she wouldn't have time to get a barn raised before winter set in, especially if bad weather hit early. And even if all she has right now is one indian pony, she still needed to make sure he had shelter before it snows. Is the coffee ready?”

Gloria poured her a cup, while all the other hands just stared at Whiskey in shock. “I thought she was going to stay until we reached the railhead, you knew she was leaving but you didn't say anything...why?” Bucky asked his wife, having noticed that Buick was looking mighty upset.

“She came and talked to me last night, while Gloria was cooking dinner. She didn't want anyone to try and stop her, and she figured with He Who Walks Two Paths off with those soldiers, and Buick still recovering from his injuries, now would be the best time to leave and not have to worry about anyone following. It's her choice, and the rest of us need to respect that. She's got too much of a head start now for anyone to catch her anyway. Her life, her decision, she'll be fine. Now, can we just have breakfast?” was Whiskey's reply.

“But...but...she didn't even say goodbye!” Jesse protested, as all the other hands just stared at each other, it was obvious that they were all thinking the same thing.

“Boys, ya'll got 10 minutes to eat and git ta work, any man not in the saddle then is gettin' docked a day's wages!” growled Hawk, “We got a herd to move!” With one last worried glance to the west, he started eating....

When I opened my eyes to a new day the sky was still dark and and the stars were like diamonds across the heavens. Bucky and the camp were still sleeping, except the cook. I made my way over to the chuck wagon and poured myself a cup of coffee, unlocked a small cabinet and proceeded to improve what was already a good cup of coffee. Cook ignored me and proceeded to go about making breakfast. "Comment ça va?" I asked. She didn't say anything, didn't like me much, didn't much care.

Calico took off to Colorado territory last night to claim her inheritance with my blessing. She lived a harsh life, probably would have not survived without that Cheyenne brave as her guardian all those years. It was high time she came into her own as a woman of means.

I touched the new scar across my cheek and thought about the past few years. They were a trial and this cattle drive was truly a baptism of fire. Still and all, wouldn't have done different. My brother Virgil sent word there is a demand for such our land can provide back in Cameron Parish. He wants Bucky and I to come back and help with the family business. Guessing all that work is getting to him. Although, I do admit it is possible that his ne'er do well ways may be behind him. Lawd, hope so.

Bucky and I discussed our plans and decided to ask Hawk to join us. Didn't know if he would seeing as he preferred the desert to the swamp, but I do hope Hawk will stay in our employ. Me, I like the swamps and bayous.

I knew that my next shot would betray my position, then their next move would be obvious. I looked for my next target,,,,no not a woman, keep looking, there seemed to be one man barking out orders, breathe, settle, aqueeze, the Sharps spoke again, the man crumpled to the ground... now the others were pointing in my direction.

The remaining men along with the women began tugging at the wagon wheels to try to point the end of the wagaon towards my direction. I had a bad feeling about that, I opened the action of the Sharps and blew a long breath throught the barrel, I knew I didn't have more than 1 or 2 more accurate shots left until the barrel heated up too much. I slipped a cartridge in and closed the action, I found my next target and took a long breath, squeezed the trigger, the man slumped over the wheel he was pulling on. They pulled him out of the way and managed to move the wagon so that the back of it was now looking at me. They ripped the cover off the wagon, there it was, I had never seen one before, but I'd heard about these fire breathing beasts. One of the women jumped up into the wagon behind the beast, tugged on it a little and started to crank it's lever.

I now understood why they called it a fire breathing beast, the whole wagon was disappearing behind the flames and smoke billowing from it. I saw dirt flying in a line coming in my direction, but as the smoke was obscuring my vison of the wagon, I must have disappeared in the smoke as well. I didn't want to kill a woman, but I didn't want the beast breathing at me either. I searched thru the long tube for a sign of the wagon, ok,,there it was.... the glint off of the barrels, the woman sitting behind it. I lowered my aim a bit, if I was low it would take out the beast, if not, then the woman would feel the weight of the massive bullet from my Sharps. I squeezed the trigger just as the beast began breathing again. I saw dirt flying again walking it way towards me, just as I was about to move the beast stopped breathing and the dirt stopped flying in front of me. I quickly looked through the tube again, the woman was gone, and a man was jumping in to take her place, he tugged on the lever but it wouldn't move.

The captain had been watching through his glass, as he saw the man beat on the beast he told the bugler to sound CHARGE!, and off towards the wagon the troupe rode, the captain with his sabre held high, it's blade glistening in the sunlight, the bugler doing his best to continure to blow charge through his bugle as he rode. The troupe spreading out as their ponies drew them closer to the impending battle. Shots began to ring out from around the wagon. On the troopers charged, they held their fire until they were upon the wagon and the people there. It was over just as suddenly as it had begun.

The captain and a few of his men rode back towards me, I was gathering my things as he dismounted by me. "Cheyenne" he said as he reached out his hand, "if there is ever anything I can do". We both swung back up on our mounts and started slowly down the hill. The captain looked over at me and asked, "Do you suppose the owner of that herd would be willing to sell some his cattle? The fort is about out of meat, we were supposed to have a herd delivered but the owner backed out of the deal and took it to Hayes city."

"Well sir, you would have to talk to Buck the owner of the herd, I've got a part in it from Adamsville giving us half of Otis's herd. If Buck wants to sell, I would only ask that you take 60 head to Little Raven's village, and with the money from the rest of my share buy what supplies for the village that it will buy.

We didn't talk much as we rode back in the direction of the herd. I was beyond tired, I knew my pony was wore out, I was thoroughly looking forward to spot under a tree. As we neared the herd we split off to the side and started to look for Buck, we couldn't find him and headed for the chuckwagon, I knew word of the captain and his men would spread quickly, Buck would find us quickly enough.

One thing bothered me,,,,, I hadn't seen the Fair One,,, I looked into the rear of the wagon, nodded to Buick, no Fair One though. I saw Whiskey heading towards the wagon, I urged my pony quickly towards her, she was pointing at the captain, "what in sam hill is he doing here?" was all she could get out before I let out, "where is the Fair One?" frantically. 'Oh Shi...." was all I heard as she lowered her head, "she headed out for colrado early this morning, by herself."

"By herself?!" I repeated, .......

My heart sunk as I heard the words from Whiskey that the Fair One had left for Colorado, alone. Alone!

I heard voices that were getting louder and louder and turned to see the captain and Hawk facing off. Each man was starting to get red in the face and neither one was showing any signs of backing down. I led my pony over and got in between the two men, looked the captain in the eye and told him, "I don't know what this is all about, but captain you said that you owed me and that all I had to do was ask, well sir, I am asking you to put this away, now and for here after."

The captain looked a little stunned, but he lifted an eyebrow, smiled a bit, looked square at Hawk and said, "you know, that was a looong time ago, it's time we put it to rest."

I looked him in the eye and told him thank you, then turned to Buck, I think he wants to talk with you Buck about the herd and walked away with my head spinning. I had been on the trail for two days and nights, but I couldn't stay here. I turned to Hawk and told him, "You know that I must go, now, I am taking the ponies from the comanches with me as a gift for the Fair One, I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I must keep my oath." With that said I swung up on my pony, and with the comanche's ponies trailing I headed for Colorado....

I rounded up the hands before we started to herd that and and with hot coffee in my tin cup I said to the hired hands....."Men, and ladies present , Just want to let ya know we lost Calico today. She lit out early mornin'.....headin' back ta Colorado. And He Who Walks Two Paths went adder her, takin' his horses too. Now....."I said talking a sip of my coffee, as I could feel it burning through my leather gloves from the tin cup. "Calico joined us late and carried her weight and din some. An Buick, as torn up as he was , took off adder her too. Buick was bout ta come inta his own as a horseman....saw it in his eyes.....damn shame dey be gone. But, no da less dey be gone. We can handle da herd by our selfs, but we'll all have ta nighthawk and maybe Gloria cood help out too. Now...." I said, sifting Mother Earth and brown grass over my boots. "Bucky an Whiskey say sell here and take no bonus...dat risk aint worth it. I say push on ta Hays. So dey are levin' it to a vote. What say ye ?"

I thought that was strange, a vote amongst the hands as to weather to sell here or push on. The vote was all for sell here which made Whiskey and Bucky smile from ear to ear. "I'll ride inta town and bring more hands out here to drive 'em in." I said.

"Nope !" Whiskey replied. "We brought the cattle to sell as beef to sell and we are gonna sell them here.....all but 60 head, which Hawk promised the Arapahoe. And the horse stock. Now cut those 60 head out and push them a spell. The Arapahoe will soon find them. Now let's get busy !" And Bucky started to mount up and cut those 60 head out and we pushed them 10 or so miles out and rode back. Then we rode right down the middle of main street, big as brass tacks, pushing the herd in front of us, the amutea of horse stock following the cattle, then all of us, riding drag. We pushed them to the different holding pens and the horse stock in another pen.

I heard the auctioneer sailing each head off and getting any where from $5.00 to $6.50 a head for the most fat ones. I stood by Whiskey and lead into her and whispered, "Ya done good Darlin.....didn't tank ya had it in ya !" at which she threw me an elbow.

"Didn't think you could keep level headed enough to bring them here !" Whiskey said to me. Bucky looked back, smiling and trying to keep tally but could not.

Whiskey said, "That be my Bucky !"

The cattle sold off and Bucky and Whiskey was paying off the drovers down at the drovers cottage, and each man was asked what they would do next. The answers Whiskey and Bucky kept to themselves. Later , with the hands payed off, and drinking it up, gambling the money away, Whiskey, me , and Bucky where setting at the table, slowly enjoying our drinks.

"We're gonna go back to South Louisiana Hawk. Raise more cattle, if we can find them. And horses. There is a strong horse racing commute there and we where thinking of asking you to work for us. Come down to South Louisiana with us Hawk." Bucky said.

I threw my whiskey back and poured another. Lit a cigarette and said, "Be my own Boss......call da shots and I want a raise ! "

Bucky said "Hawk, for a man out of work, you shore do drive a hard bargin ! Any thing else ?"

I sipped my whiskey and looked him in the eye and said, "Yup.....I want ya ta teach me how to hunt gators ! Ated da tail once......was good !"

Whiskey raised her glass and we all did the same. "Deal By Gawd !" she said and threw her drink back as we all did.

After some rest and a bath or two, we saddled up and rode out. "Hey Señor ....you forgotted somthin' !" I looked around and said, "What !" To which Gloria shouted out "Me ! You need cook on trail to home, no ?"

I rode back to her smiling and said, "Gloria, now ya did not really tank we'd leave ya." and Gloria said.......

"Those folks, no.....You Senor Yes !" and we laughed.

"Git dat wagon rollin' an join up wif us !" I said. And there we where, me , Bucky, and Whiskey pushing horse stock and fouls born along the way, and Gloria cooking for us, the the tongue of the chuck wagon always pointed south.....South to Louisiana, my new home !

Archived