SASS Wire Forum

Reclaimed Shot

Snakebite Dust SASS 75484

I bought a good amount of dirty reclaimed shot and wanted to see if anyone had some good tips for cleaning it and where is the best place to get some graphite to add to it once its cleaned.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

And before anyone asks, I dont want to sell any of it. Its enough to last me a few years only.

Thanks!

u can get graphite at any farm store,,,,

Cheyenne

PS it dunt take much,,,,,

If it were me I think I'd run it in a vibratory tumbler with dish detergent and water as much as will agitate well at a time. Dry it well and then tumble it with graphite. You can get dry graphite powder at automotive stores and hardware stores. It comes in what looks like a round glue bottle with a pointy spout on top. It's used to puff into tumbler locks to lube them up.

Using a large cookie sheet you can spread out some shot and using an air hose to blow the dirt and rocks out. Then I wash about 5 pounds at a time in a 5 gallon bucket. Using a pressure nozzle to get the dust and small rocks out.

Spread out to dry.

I don't find it necessary to graphite reclaimed shot unless I plan to sell it. The shot is loaded in to plastic wad cup and does not come in contact with the barrel until it exits.

I don't find it necessary to graphite reclaimed shot unless I plan to sell it. The shot is loaded in to plastic wad cup and does not come in contact with the barrel until it exits.

I think the graphite is used mainly so the shot flows easily in the shot bar and bushing in the loading press.

As a commercial reloader, last year I was loading about 200 rounds of 12ga after loading 2000 to 2500 cartridges each day. Never had a problem with shot that was not graphited.

I use MEC 9000 for shotgun reloading. I made sure I have the steel shot charge bar that has a small rubber insert in the shot side of the bar that will give a little when the amount of shot exceeds the charge bar volume.

I don't know much about cleaning reclaimed shot,but I've been using already cleaned reclaimed shot for a couple of years now.As for putting graphite on it,I use an empty 1 lb Titegroup bottle.Pour in the shot to about 2/3's full,then squeeze a SMALL amount of graphite into the bottle.Put the lid on and roll it around the floor for a bit occasionally hand rolling it end to end.Doesn't take much graphite to coat the shot and it flows nicely through my MEC.

Archived