SASS Wire Forum

Do-335

Subdeacon Joe

During the 1970s, I believe it was either Tamya or Monogram that came out with a detailed model of this unique plane, Dornier 335. The short written story that came along with the model made for interesting research. But there wasn't Internet, etc. to find more info. One day, dad came to visit and seen the plane and told me more on it. He was stationed in Rechlin toward war end. Rechlin was an experimental and testing site also. Captured allied planes were also held there, tested, torn apart, and studied, including B17s, Mustangs, etc. When the 335 came in on freight flat bed. He said it was trial run up and down the runway, so pilots could learn to takeoff with rear prop. They were also testing Germans first jet planes at the time. A pilot who had tested jet planes, and then came to fly the 335, said afterwards that it was the fastest, in all aspect from takeoff, to maneuvering, reaching ceiling, and that it would be the plane of the future. Its airtime was also longer then the short time and fuel consumption of early jet planes which gave less then 1/2hr flight time. Dad never had a chance to test this plane, and always wish he had, but said his squadron was sent out. I remember him holding the model and pointing certain things out, including the point were the rear section had explosive bolts for separation in case of bailout, and that there was an ejection seat to safely eject pilot in case of need. He also said that there was a trainer of this plane, only 1 built in which there was another canopy and seat behind pilot for training purposes, but said that this plane had a ground fire and was destroyed while refueling.

Thanks for posting, and bringing some warm memories back. MT

Hey! Glad it dredged up some good memories for you. That's one of the nice bonuses that you get sometimes for posting odd stuff.

This may be my favorite Axis plane. I have a feeling that if they had gone into production in, oh, early 1943, things might have turned out a bit different.

Hey! Glad it dredged up some good memories for you. That's one of the nice bonuses that you get sometimes for posting odd stuff.

This may be my favorite Axis plane. I have a feeling that if they had gone into production in, oh, early 1943, things might have turned out a bit different.

Here's some facts on Rechlin were this plane was tested. My father and mother met at the airbase, she worked as a civilian in the offices. My father was driving to the airbase, raining and gave my mother a lift who was walking to work. Later they married. In January dad left base with his squadron. My mother was pregnant with me. On 4/10/45 I was born in a basement, my mother with my grandmother in attendance to help, while the 453rd was bombing Reclin. At the time this was also the farthest north that the allied had bombed. There was also future plans to capture this base for the allies. Decades later in the late 90s, I made a request for any members of the 453rd squadron, and was surprised to find a surviving pilot, and other crew members of this raid. The lead pilot also was employed to my surprise by the company I worked for, Amoco. To top it off, he was also an engineer living in Houston, retired. Before he passed away, we kept a long running conversation going and toward the end when I had pleasure of meeting him, he showed me pictures of the raid and was able to actually see a view of the house I was born in from the aerial photo.

Again, memories come from strange things sometimes. Thanks, MT

I would not want to be in a B17 and see a flight of these coming in.

Here's some facts on Rechlin were this plane was tested. My father and mother met at the airbase, she worked as a civilian in the offices. My father was driving to the airbase, raining and gave my mother a lift who was walking to work. Later they married. In January dad left base with his squadron. My mother was pregnant with me. On 4/10/45 I was born in a basement, my mother with my grandmother in attendance to help, while the 453rd was bombing Reclin. At the time this was also the farthest north that the allied had bombed. There was also future plans to capture this base for the allies. Decades later in the late 90s, I made a request for any members of the 453rd squadron, and was surprised to find a surviving pilot, and other crew members of this raid. The lead pilot also was employed to my surprise by the company I worked for, Amoco. To top it off, he was also an engineer living in Houston, retired. Before he passed away, we kept a long running conversation going and toward the end when I had pleasure of meeting him, he showed me pictures of the raid and was able to actually see a view of the house I was born in from the aerial photo.

Again, memories come from strange things sometimes. Thanks, MT

wow! One helluva story, MT! Thanks for sharing it. Beats the OP about the plane all hollow.

During the 1970s, I believe it was either Tamya or Monogram that came out with a detailed model of this unique plane, Dornier 335.

I believe it was Monogram in 1/48th scale. You could build as either the day or night fighter versions. I remember building one of each. Really neat plane. If I recall correctly the reason for the ejection seat was to prevent the bailing out pilot from getting chopped up in the rear prop!

Archived