SASS Wire Forum

Opinion on Henry .22 Pump?

Church Key, SASS # 33713

Wondering if anyone has tried these critters. I've had Winchester 1890's and 62A's, but sold them for whatever dumb reasons. The prices on these have gone through the roof, plus they are hard to find, so I'm wondering if the Henry pump is a good substitute? Tried a Taurus pump, was a POC. A new Henry is about $400, far below a worn Winnie. I want it for shooting, not future value.

Appreciate any opinions.

Stevens, Savage, Marlin and H&R all made .22 pumps with external hammers before WWII that can be found for under $300.

My pump choice would be a Winchester Model 270. It has an internal hammer but feels more like a normal-size rifle.

I don't know about the Henry guns, but when you say you had a Taurus you didn't like much, do you mean a Rossi Model 62 .22 (s/l/lr)Gallery Pump?

I have had two of the Rossi guns (still have one) and both were/are very reliable. I have to admit, since it is a Rossi gun, I am surprised they are so nice. Fit and finish are good, functionality is great. Very accurate, too; hitting ground squirrels at 80 to 100 yards, open, iron sights, adjusted a tad for elevation.

There's one on GB auction right now with a starting bid of $250 and with a reserve, so it probably will not sell. Don't know what a fair price is for one today.

I actually went to buy a Henry pump .22. I wasn't impressed with the alloy reciever and it took all my strength to get the action to cycle. Tried the other one and it was the same thing. I asked to see the Taurus, liked the steel reciever right off. It also cycled well. Bought it, did some cleaning up of the action and it works extremely well.

Anyhow, worked for me and I saved $180.

I actually went to buy a Henry pump .22. I wasn't impressed with the alloy reciever and it took all my strength to get the action to cycle. Tried the other one and it was the same thing. I asked to see the Taurus, liked the steel reciever right off. It also cycled well. Bought it, did some cleaning up of the action and it works extremely well.

Anyhow, worked for me and I saved $180.

Frost Bite Falls gun ??????

The Taurus might have been a Rossi (been a while back - faulty memory). It was a stainless model 62 with the 16" barrel. Was too light-weight and hard to pump for me. I've never had a rifle jump so much when being racked. Perhaps if I was able to get a heavier longer barreled one it would have worked, but they were discontinued.

Wondering if anyone has tried these critters. I've had Winchester 1890's and 62A's, but sold them for whatever dumb reasons. The prices on these have gone through the roof, plus they are hard to find, so I'm wondering if the Henry pump is a good substitute? Tried a Taurus pump, was a POC. A new Henry is about $400, far below a worn Winnie. I want it for shooting, not future value.

Appreciate any opinions.

Had two of 'em. Both POS!! Traded them back to Henry for H001T lever rifles. The pump is too stiff to be a fun shooter, and, NO!!, use doesn't smooth it out. BUT, Henry did me right by trading them back. No other mafg will do that for a customer.

Al

Archived