SASS Wire Forum

Short barreled rolling block ?'s

evil dogooder

The local ffl has one with a 22" barrel in 45-70. By uberti.

Looks older but still in decent shape. Huge barrel on it just short.

Anybody have any knowledge/experience with these?

What would be a fair value in 80% ?

Thanks

I havent shot it as they don't have a range, but it does weigh a ton. They are asking $450 for it

Wm. Munny SASS #165 and I used to shoot Long Rang Buffalo Matches all the time (early '90's) and we both had Rolling Blocks made by David Pedersolli. They were .45-70 Govt caliber rifles. Mine had a Heavy 30 inch barrel and his had a Heavy 24 inch barrel.

They shot exactly the same loads and you couldn't tell the difference in group size all the way out to 450 yards. If the rifle is in great shape and a good crown...buy it and shoot it. You'll like that it weighs a little less for offhand work.

We shot 150 and 200 yards offhand and used cross-sticks for 300-400-450 yards. An extra pound won't make that much difference. Just sayin'

Jake

P.S. $450 is a great price cuz a new one will be twice that or more.

I paid $400 for mine in 1990, used 20 shots. Har Trigger sold it to me and bought a Sharps.

FWIW the ORIGINAL roller, before the 1866 number one, was a carbine. It had about a 22" barrel. I got a pic of one somewhere. A friend sent the pic to me when I was in the process of having my number 5 roller reworked into a carbine with a HEAVY 22" barrel in Cowboy .45 Special. Mine balances nice, and is a great rifle to shoot offhand if ya don't take all day about it. I put a Lyman sight on the front and a marbles peep on the back. Lotta fun.

Original roller.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/RemRollCarb.jpg

My version

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/C45Srollerdone.jpg

There was a fellow some time ago, don't know his name, that build some RB rifles with Numrich barrels in 45-70 and did a very nice job. I was lucky enough to pick one up in mint condition. It must have weighed 15 lbs or more. I had the barrel turned down to half-round and it turned out to be a great shooter and one I can carry while hunting.

HH :FlagAm:

Archived