SASS Wire Forum

Getting close to Armistice Day

Subdeacon Joe

We call it Rememberance Day

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/5157/fallen1dl.jpg

Officially it's "Veterans Day" here. I prefer the older name - Lest We Forget the War to End War.

Here is a nice video from an artist from our Good Neighbor to the North.

1914 to 1918

37 million deaths (10 million in active battle, 7 million civilian, 20 million through displacement, prisons, etc.)

117,465 Americans killed in fifteen months of fighting (Pershing chose to charge machine-gun emplacements and trenches instead of letting his troops die sitting in their trenches as the Brits, French and other allied had beebn condition to do after such a horrendous war).

I wondered today about next Sunday, the anniversary of the ending of this most-horrifc war. For years after that war ended, Americans likely held a moment of silence and held other efforts at remembering the cost to end this war. We will not stop church next Sunday to do such. I wonder when we Americans stop remembering those that gave so much.

When will D-Day, the fall of Bataan, the Battle of the Bulge and Pearl Harbor not fit into our memories?

I can imagine that 30-50 years from now the fall of Saigon and the attacks of 9/11 will seem foreign and unworthy to remember unless we wisen up and quickly.

As the schedule worked out, I'm singing in church that day.

I'm going to do this

Will probably do it a capella though and have everyone join in on the last verse and chorus.

And follow it with the Airborne version. :lol:

1914 to 1918

37 million deaths (10 million in active battle, 7 million civilian, 20 million through displacement, prisons, etc.)

117,465 Americans killed in fifteen months of fighting (Pershing chose to charge machine-gun emplacements and trenches instead of letting his troops die sitting in their trenches as the Brits, French and other allied had beebn condition to do after such a horrendous war).

I wondered today about next Sunday, the anniversary of the ending of this most-horrifc war. For years after that war ended, Americans likely held a moment of silence and held other efforts at remembering the cost to end this war. We will not stop church next Sunday to do such. I wonder when we Americans stop remembering those that gave so much.

When will D-Day, the fall of Bataan, the Battle of the Bulge and Pearl Harbor not fit into our memories?

I can imagine that 30-50 years from now the fall of Saigon and the attacks of 9/11 will seem foreign and unworthy to remember unless we wisen up and quickly.

The fall of Saigon is already ancient history.

1914 to 1918

Please check your history, after the formation of the Canadian Corps, the Canadian Army took more ground, in less time, with less casualties than any other allied army. Unfortunately the majority of allied generals in that war lacked the ability to look and act "outside the box". General Arthur Currie, Commander of the Canadian Corps was not one of those generals.

Archived