SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone tried ICORE?

Church Key, SASS # 33713

A new range facility has opened close to me in WV. It plans to be the premier range on the East Coast. Anyhow, it currently does IDPA, 3 Gun, Clays of all types, has a 1000 yard electronic scoring range, CAS (probably not for long due to personality conflicts), IPSC, and ICORE. The latter is an all revolver match, with up to 36 shots per stage.

I started IDPA using a Glock 21, then switched to a revolver. Decided I'm not an auto person. I usually come in first and last in my revolver class.

Anyhow, wondering if anybody has tried ICORE? If so, any comments or thoughts on it? I prefer revolvers, and ICORE shoots them a bunch in their matches.

I've shot ICORE for several years now. I shoot in the Classic category, 6 shot revolvers with speedloaders. In the Open and Limited categories, most shooters use the 8 shot revolvers with moon clips. There are not a lot of ICORE clubs around. The International Revolver Championship has been held at the Chorro Valley range near San Luis Obispo for 20 years. They opened it up to clubs on the east coast, but it will again be held out west next year. It's a great match with about 240 double action revolver shooters. Smith and Wesson heavily sponsers the match, because 99% of the guns used are Smith and Wessons. It's something watching the best revolver shooters in the world, including Jerry Miculek each year.

The big matches have a real variety of stages. There are usually a couple of simple Steel Challenge stages. There are some standards and classifier stages. And there are the big field courses with lots of moving targets and steel, texas stars, etc. The Far and Near standards stage starts with one shot on six targets, 50 yards 9 seconds par time. Then 1 shot on 6 targets at 25 yards, 7 seconds par time. 10 yards, two shots each on three top row targets, reload, 2 shots each on bottom 3 targets, 10 seconds par time. Finally, 2 shots on top 3 targets strong hand only, reload, 2 shots on bottom row 3 targets, 10 seconds par time. Penalties for overtime shots and hits. The X ring is blacked out and you get a minus 1 second bonus for each hit in the 4" black.

They are talking about trying to put together a big match for the ICORE shooters back east. Have fun. Smokin Gator

I shot ICORE a lot when I lived in Idaho Falls.....great time was had by all! Very much dominated by S&W revolvers of all flavors.....I usually shoot my 4" M66 or my 4"M28, but will use others in the stable as well...M10,M13,M14,M15, K-38,M686,M25-2 etc...sort of whatever I feel like on that given day.

Go shoot a match and have a blast!

Bugler

i see you shoot with Buckaroo and River Banks. Tell 'em Red said Howdy. You must be up in Bubbles' territory.

Seems ICORE is becoming extinct round here. A range down here dropped it from the list because of very small attendance.

They recently held the Midwest Regionsl ICORE match in Fallon, Nevada. This was because no clubs in the middle of the country offered to hold the match. There are more clubs in the west than back east, but still, not a lot of them. Smokin Gator

I thought Icore was Dr Frankenstein's hunchback assistant. :unsure:

Archived