SASS Wire Forum

Changing the lead dog at the start of the Iditarod

J-BAR #18287

Gary Paulsen wrote "Winterdance", a greatly entertaining book about the first time he ran the Iditarod sled dog race. In it, he describes how he tried to get a last minute edge and the problems that it caused. A short time before the Iditarod began, he decided to switch lead dogs, thinking somehow it would help get off to a better start. It didn't. His dog team went nuts, leaving the race course and making its own way through town, adding miles and hours to the race. He decided it was really not a good idea to change the lead dog just before the race began, and that it is a very "guy" thing to do, screwing yourself up in this way.

This weekend, at the Show-Me Shootout--Missouri State Championships, I changed the lead dog at the start of the race.

Our very first stage called for the first pistol to be shot at one position, then move to the shotgun and rifle, then move to a third position for the second pistol. I had programmed myself to draw left pistol first, but about a minute before I shot, I decided I could grab my shotshells quicker if I shot my right pistol first, so that's what I did. And it worked...I got through first pistol, shotgun, and rifle slick as silk, but my previous programming kicked in and when I got to the final position, I redrew my empty pistol. After two clicks on empty chambers, I still hadn't figured out the problem, and the spotters had to yell at me to get me to draw my loaded pistol. I figure it cost me 6 or 7 seconds at least.

So, has anyone else ever changed the lead dog just before the race?

I am not capable of doing that. I just pull what ever I have at hand and start shooting. Okie gets a tad nervous when I sweep him with my shotgun but there is a 50/50 chance it is empty when I do. And it does add a bit of excitement to the game.

You are telling me that there is a specific routine to shooting these stages. Huh. Who would have thought it. :blink:

Gary Paulsen wrote "Winterdance", a greatly entertaining book about the first time he ran the Iditarod sled dog race. In it, he describes how he tried to get a last minute edge and the problems that it caused. A short time before the Iditarod began, he decided to switch lead dogs, thinking somehow it would help get off to a better start. It didn't. His dog team went nuts, leaving the race course and making its own way through town, adding miles and hours to the race. He decided it was really not a good idea to change the lead dog just before the race began, and that it is a very "guy" thing to do, screwing yourself up in this way.

This weekend, at the Show-Me Shootout--Missouri State Championships, I changed the lead dog at the start of the race.

Our very first stage called for the first pistol to be shot at one position, then move to the shotgun and rifle, then move to a third position for the second pistol. I had programmed myself to draw left pistol first, but about a minute before I shot, I decided I could grab my shotshells quicker if I shot my right pistol first, so that's what I did. And it worked...I got through first pistol, shotgun, and rifle slick as silk, but my previous programming kicked in and when I got to the final position, I redrew my empty pistol. After two clicks on empty chambers, I still hadn't figured out the problem, and the spotters had to yell at me to get me to draw my loaded pistol. I figure it cost me 6 or 7 seconds at least.

So, has anyone else ever changed the lead dog just before the race?

It's just like you to jump ahead and write this as you saw it.

I was a lot funnier from where I was standing, seeing the absolute dismay on your face when your gun wouldn't go bang.!

Archived