SASS Wire Forum

Bullet Feeder

Noah Cash

Howdy,

I run a Dillon 650 press and have been thinking about adding a bullet feeder. When I get to loading I normally try to run out a bunch at a time so I dont have to swap out the tooling so often.

It seems that most of the feeders all pretty much have the standard disclaimer that they only run well with jacketed bullets, and some even state that the use of lead bullets voids the warrenty. Have any of ya'll tried any of the feeders? Did any run well with the lead bullets? Any input or suggestions? I have looked on You Tube and seen some home made affairs as well. Anyone tried those contraptions?

Thanks for any input or suggestions

I wrote the originator of the KISS feeder (now called Mr. Bullet Feeder) and at first he said that he didn't advise doing it. He later changed his mind after saying that you could shake your bullets in a can of powdered graphite and it eliminated the trouble with the wax buildup. Not sure what the consensus is now as this was a couple years ago.

One other fix is to shoot the "dry lubed " black bullets.

CW

Mr. Bullet Feeder has sold to Double Alpha, which has done a really good job of redesigning the whole unit. BUT, I wrote to the them and basically said that last unit I had didn't work all that well because of the wax build up from the lead bullets. Their response was that Original Armorall will "help" the problem. When pinned down for a hard answer, they still don't have a true fix for running it with lead bullets.

Now, just my .02 on this, I run both a 650 and 1050. I have timed how long it takes to run 100 round through each. The 650 is actually faster, but only slightly. It takes me about 3 minuets and 45 seconds to 4 minuets flat to run a hundred rounds. The addition of the Bullet Feeder, the last time I tried it, didn't improve on that by all that much. Even though Double Alpha has lowered the price, I am not sure it's worth it especially if I have to stop and clean one more thing before pulling the handle.

Your mileage may vary.

Dang It

Follow up question; if It's the wax that's causing the problems, moly coated bullets SHOULD work just fine, right?

Yes, they will work. BUT, we don't have anyone in Florida producing the "black" bullet and they do cost more. So, if it's only time that is the deciding factor, well I guess I wouldn't.

That's just me.

WOW. I bet you could buy a career's worth of ammo for what that thing must have cost. That is unbelieveable

Sure, read my mind. :lol:

Saw a guy's set-up. He had 3 1050s with bullet feeders. He told me the feeders would loosen the lube (and lube fall out) of lube-groove bullets. But, he said Molly bullets would work OK. He loaded jacketed bullets.

We used to have a caster who produced a teflon sprayed bullet. Clean...no lube problems and less leadkng to almost none. He was from PA...BTW.

Archived