SASS Wire Forum

Stuck Ejector Rod Housing on SAA

Hello;

I purchased a Colt SAA last year from a gentleman in Arizona.

The gun was pretty stiff or dry and need a good lubing to operate properly, so I give it a generous portion of break free and it operates well.

The only problem I am having with the gun is that the ejector rod housing is stuck and I can seem to break it free.

Any suggestions on how to remove a stuck ejector housing??

Thanks

Hello;

I purchased a Colt SAA last year from a gentleman in Arizona.

The gun was pretty stiff or dry and need a good lubing to operate properly, so I give it a generous portion of break free and it operates well.

The only problem I am having with the gun is that the ejector rod housing is stuck and I can seem to break it free.

Any suggestions on how to remove a stuck ejector housing??

Thanks

Need more info. Are you saying the the housing won't come off the gun/barrel. Or, the ejector won't move to eject?

If it won't come off the barrel, first remove the screw. Then you can insert an awl into the hole on the end of the housing so you can gently pry it up and off the recoil stud.

With the screw removed, can you wiggle it at all?

Here's a suggestion that just popped into my head. Remove the cylinder and open the loading gate. Take a brass punch that is about the same diameter as the ejector rod, place it against the back end of the ejector rod and gently tap it forward to see if this will start to ease the housing out of its recess in the frame. If this is a bad idea, hopefully a real gunsmith will chime in here and say so :)

... and if you are successful with Abilene's suggestion - determine if the rod is bent.

Yes - buy a new one

No - rub it down with fine crocus cloth until it slides freely and then re-blue

Also check for any burring in the receiver hole

The ejector rod housing wont come off. tried lubricating it but to no avail. any suggestions?

OK,

If the ejector housing won't easily come off the barrel, first remove the screw. Once you remove that screw you can insert an awl or the chuck end of a drill bit into the hole on the end of the housing just enough to get over the recoil stud. Now you can gently pry it up and off the recoil stud. Resist the urger to file or refit it. They are less likely to rattle loose fitted like it is.

I don't think I would beat on the other end with a punch. It's thin and could be easily damaged.

Well Nate has jumped in with GOOD info .

I think I would also take a hair dryer or a heat gun and warm the offending parts a bit ,

Heat until the oil SMOKES then attempt to get it to move with a set of PADDED plyers or vice grips

I DON'T think a Hammer is your friend , in this case .

Chickasaw Bill

NKJ , I look foward to meeting you in person , in a few days , (hopefully )

NKJ has great info there. I generally run a large punch down from the muzzle end and GENTLY tap it way from the barrel with a hammer; BE CAREFUL, too hard and you can bend the ejector rod. Usually they just have a tight fir over the barrel stud. Good luck.

HW

Archived